PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Building a Reach-Weapon Boss

DM Nate
2014-09-30, 12:18 PM
I'd like a few suggestions for my campaign (http://www.darkhaunt.net) on how best to build a particular "tough" boss for an upcoming encounter, which I'm dubbing the "Silver Sentinel."

On first glance, it appears to be a halberd-using suit of armor, though in reality it's closer to a power suit wielding a guan dao (http://dailyemerald.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/DSC1120EDIT-940x622.jpg). In other words, dex and speed based, rather than AC.

I'm setting it at a CR 8, so I'm using 6 levels of Human Fighter (for a total of 8 available feats) and 2 levels of Occult Slayer (just enough to start bouncing spells back at our resident magic user).

The first concept for this encounter is an enemy that knows how to use reach weapons and threatened squares, as our heroes haven't yet encountered that. Using the glaive (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#glaive) as a starting point, I chose the following feats (PH, PH2, CWar):

Combat Reflexes
Dodge (pre-req)
Combat Expertise (pre-req)
Two-Weapon Fighting (pre-req)
Short Haft
Deft Opportunist
Karmic Strike
(unused feat)

The idea is to make use of the reach AoO's, while still being able to respond if someone closes in to full-round-attack range.

The Sentinel will also have a list of helpful equipment, like Boots of Springing and Jumping, a Belt of Healing, a rather nicely-enchanted weapon, etc.

Question 1: What would you put in for that last feat?

I was playing with the idea of Fleet of Foot, in case the Sentinel needs to close space with a ranged opponent. (I'm sticking to the "official" splatbooks, as delving into the Dragon/Dungeon magazines opens up a can of worms for the campaign I don't want at this point.)

Question 2: What weapon is best for this concept?

I realize a chain would allow me to threaten both reach and adjacent squares without needing the Short Haft feat, but I dislike chains. In real life, they're problematic and a lot harder to use than the splatbooks suggest. I'd be willing to reskin another weapon to have the Spiked Chains stats (since Exotic Weapon Prof: Chains is still fewer feats than what I require now), but what real-world weapon could arguably function in the same way? Would the guan dao itself work?

Okay, for this last question, I'm going to need to explain a few things. First, my party members are actually ghosts that have learned how to travel between the physical world and the spirit world via mirrors. Until now, they've had complete control (and almost sole knowledge) of this mechanic. I'm planning to change that up in this encounter by having their enemy force them to cross over and back at his choosing. Since he will be present in both worlds simultaneously and will be wearing a mirror-polished suit, all that needs to happen is for him to touch them (or them to touch him).

Example 1: Hero #1 attacks Sentinel and scores a hit. Damage is applied, but Hero #1 is sucked through to physical realm, where he's just a wisp of ghostly smoke.
Example 2: Hero #2 is a wisp of smoke on the physical plane. Sentinel begins a full-round attack on the wisp. First attack makes contact (but deals no damage), sucking it through to the spirit world. Now in a more "corporeal" and damageable state, Hero #2 is now subjected to the rest of the Sentinel's attacks.

This subtle and complex mechanic for this battle is the reason I'm not having the Sentinel do any tripping/disarming/sundering. Being forcibly shunted back and forth between worlds, one of which prevents them from doing any actual physical damage, should be complicating enough. Basically, the Sentinel will be dividing up the opposition by forcibly shunting problematic heroes to a realm where they can't do anything till they get back, and then going to town on whomever's left.

Question 3: What would you do to play up this nature of the encounter? Would you change out any of the feats listed above?

Also, TPKs are okay. They are already ghosts, after all.

ranagrande
2014-09-30, 02:31 PM
For a real world weapon that functions like D&D's spiked chain, I'd recommend you check out the meteor hammer.

If you want to stick with the glaive, I would do one of two things to threaten adjacent enemies. Wear spiked armor or use a category small guan duo, taking a -2 size penalty on attacks to have a one-handed reach weapon. Then wield another weapon in your other hand for targeting nearby foes.

Using either of those would eliminate the need for the Short Haft feat, so you should have two feats available now. I would take Aberration Blood and Inhuman Reach from Lords of Madness, allowing you to attack targets up to 20 feet away.

Gwendol
2014-09-30, 02:52 PM
Mage slayer seems like a solid choice, and I notice you don't have stand still listed yet.

Cyanide
2014-09-30, 03:13 PM
The polished mirror suit is an interesting addition, the mechanic gives the whole encounter a different spin, gotta say that.
Now, in order:

1) My suggestion, since your build isn't really missing any key element would be: if you can find a way to squeeze in an extra feat (through flaws or some other mumbo-jumbo) I'd strongly suggest you take weapon focus (halberd) and Spinning Halberd (complete warrior, p.114). I can very well see the feat being tweaked to apply to another polearm (say a bardiche, for example) and it's a very useful feat to have, not terribly powerful, but it adds some flair to the attack routine of the Sentinel.
If you have only one feat I'd suggest Evasive Reflexes from Tome of Battle, to get out of sticky situation should someone find a way to become dangerous in close combat (also note that I haven't found any errata on this feat, so it would appear that it doesn't use up any AoO, therefore making the Sentinel able to do this trick more than once per round)
Keep in mind that the Fleet of Foot option is still absolutely viable, it simply is less useful if you're fighting in a defined space (say a closed room, even a large one).
Lastly (I swear) you could always use that feat on Martial Study and grab a manoeuver of your choosing (can't really hurt, even if it's 1/day)

2) To be honest I can't really think of any way to reskin the spiked chain to maintain its characteristics while having the shape of say a Guan Dao, or any other polearm, for that matter. A spiked chain can attack in close range because its whole length is equally dangerous, a trait no polearm or polearm-like weapon has. Personally, since the style of the Sentinel seems to be quick jutting strikes to dispatch foes while keeping out of reach, I'd recommend a thrusting weapon over a primarily slashing one, even if just for stylistic purposes. I'd go for something like the Bohemian earspoon (ridiculous name, I know), the classic halberd and the spetum (all of the three would be pretty much identical, stat-wise to the halberd).
If you want to get rid of short haft you can also try the Evasive Reflexes route and use that to constantly keep 5 ft away from the opponent. That way you have your optimal reach and avoid burning a feat (or several), but that tactic requires the Sentinel to have a lot of space to manoeuver in, to avoid being closed in a corner, so take it with a grain of salt.

3) If playing up the encounter means making it more difficult, I would probably try and use a double-terrained map, with some obstacles that are present in the material world and others that are only present in the spirit world, but that would make the fight even more complicated. One way to tweak the build would be to trade two levels of fighter for two levels of martial rogue, with the spell reflection alternate class feature. You'd lose a +1 to fortitude and you'd have a base attack bonus 1 lower, in exchange for a +3 to reflexes, one extra feat, enough skill points to drown a cow in, and the ability to automatically redirect missed targeted spells (can't remember if it works on rays only, but it's still a nice ability to have).

Aaaaand that's all I can think of now, hope it helps!

Barstro
2014-09-30, 03:25 PM
FIf you want to stick with the glaive, I would do one of two things to threaten adjacent enemies. Wear spiked armor or use a category small guan duo, taking a -2 size penalty on attacks to have a one-handed reach weapon. Then wield another weapon in your other hand for targeting nearby foes.

Can you not use a Spiked Gauntlet to threaten adjacent enemies?

Using a Belt of Healing is a standard action. If only the one NPC is in the fight, then each use is effectively a waste of a round. AoO still works, but it seems like bad action economy to me. Stored Vampiric Touch strikes me as being of better use and rather thematic.

ranagrande
2014-09-30, 05:04 PM
Sure, you could use a gauntlet. Either of my suggestions will result in higher damage though.

Deox
2014-10-01, 01:03 AM
First, this sounds like an awesome encounter setup and a very interesting mechanic to pull the PCs to and from being a "spirit".

For the sake of argument, are you married to the idea of the BBEG being a pure fighter / occult slayer? Because the Hellreaver (Fiendish Codex 2) I feel may add to the theme.

I know you said you weren't wanting to really focus on tripping/disarming/sundering, but it sounds that battlefield control is still on the table by way of movement prevention, or "lock down".

If so, what about Knight / Crusader / Hellreaver ? Great charisma synergy, Knight's Bulwark of Defense + Crusader's Thicket can help with locking down movement. Keep the Combat Reflexes + Reach option, maybe even take Evasive Reflexes to 5ft step instead of the AoO if mobility is key.

Another option could involve Hexblade 4 / Fighter (or Barbarian) 1 / Hellreaver X - Get the Dark Companion ACF and debuff your opponents. Also Mettle to help against the spell caster.

Perhaps Paladin 4 / Fighter 1 / Hellreaver - Turn undead, can channel divine based feats (Divine Might for example). Both of the above will net you your charisma bonus to saves.

Feats could remain similar, in any case, to keep mobility and AoO generation.

ben-zayb
2014-10-01, 02:23 AM
I second the Evasive Reflexes addition, for times when you just have to move away instead of slugging it out

DM Nate
2014-10-01, 07:32 AM
You are correct, Deox, in that battlefield control is still very much on the table. The last time I ran a "reach" boss, years ago, he was a tripper. This time, as I get to play around with spirits and mirrors, I forewent that option.

Thanks for pointing out the Tome of Battle! I generally use the old CrystalKeep's files to peruse the feats, and that's one of the books that never made it on. I plan to have my Sentinel use Karmic Strike constantly, to LET enemies hit him. It will generate an AoO, which he will use to hit them right back. (He will have DR 5/- to compensate for the low AC. I'm considering making it DR 5/positive energy so that the non-brawlers have a chance to damage him.) Evasive Reflexes would dove-tail perfectly with that...a player begins a full-round attack, but the Sentinel sidesteps away on the first hit! Simply evil.

I am definitely not married to Fighter/Occult Slayer. That was just the combination I found that gave me what I wanted. I'll look both into the Hellreaver and the Martial Rogue.

By the way, I really do like the suggestion(s) of a Spiked Gauntlet with a stored Vampiric Touch, for both close-range threats and HP recovery. The party have been picking up steampunkish equipment from the bosses they've defeated, and this sounds like another such item.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I'll post a second draft of the character after I play around with the stats.

DM Nate
2014-10-02, 11:59 AM
All right, how's this souped-up, polished version looking:

SILVER SENTINEL (CR 8)
Human Fighter 6 / Occult Slayer 2

CLASS FEATURES:

Magical Defense (Ex): An occult slayer's constant training in countering magic of all types manifests itself as a bonus on saving throws against spells or spell-like abilities. This bonus is +1 at 1st level...
Weapon Bond (Su): An occult slayer must choose a particular weapon of at least masterwork quality as the focus of her power...Thereafter, any successful attack she makes with that weapon against a spellcaster or a creature with spell-like abilities deals an extra 1d6 points of damage.
Mind over Magic (Su): Starting at 2nd level, an occult slayer can cause a spell or spell-like ability targeted against her to rebound onto the originator as a free action. This ability otherwise functions as the spell turning spell (caster level equals the character's occult slayer level + 5). An occult slayer can use this ability once per day at 2nd level...

FEATS (4 of which are additional Fighter feats):

Combat Reflexes (for up to 6 attacks of opportunity)
Dodge (pre-req for feat)
Combat Expertise (pre-req for feat)
Improved Initiative (pre-req for class)
Weapon Focus: Halberd (pre-req for class)
Evasive Reflexes
Deft Opportunist
Karmic Strike

Spell note for consideration:
From Page 137 of the Player's Handbook: "This feat [Combat Reflexes] does not let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity, but if the same opponent provokes two attacks of opportunity from you—such as by moving out of a threatened square and then casting a spell in a threatened square—you could make two separate attacks of opportunity (since each one represents a different opportunity)."

EQUIPMENT:
For the equipment, I purchased the WBL for an 8th-level player (27k gp).
I forewent armor because Karmic Strike operates on being hit; to account for that, the Sentinel has DR 5/-. With the feat permanently active (-4) and the Sentinel intentionally not adding his Dex, his AC should hover around 6.
I counted the stored Vampiric Touch as a scroll of the same.

Gloves of Dex +4 (16k gp)
Halberd +1 of Shock (4310 gp) (I considered adding Ghost Touch to the weapon but ultimately decided against it, since the PCs do not currently have any way to damage back when incorporeal.)
Spiked Gauntlet +1 of Spell Storing (4310 gp)
Vampiric Touch (375 gp)

STAT SCORES:
I will be using the Elite array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8), with highest points in STR/DEX. Due to story reasons, the creature is actually an Undead Construct with an Elf body and a Human mind...so the modifiers will look odd. However, here they are:

STR: 14
DEX: 15+1(level)+4(gloves)+2(race)
CON: - (construct; HP will be between 57-96, depending on difficulty)
INT: 13 (All skill points will be satisfying pre-reqs for Occult Slayer)
WIS: 12
CHA: 10

STRATEGY: "Divide and Conquer"

Any time the PCs physically strike the Sentinel, they will be automatically pulled through to the opposite side (whether that be the spirit or physical world).
The Karmic Strike grants the Sentinel an AoO back each time they strike him.
The Sentinel will choose when best to make PCs "cross," usually using his gauntlet (though his reach halberd also has a mirrored shaft). This can be done either at the start of a full-round attack, in order to make them corporeal; or at the end, to make them incorporeal and unable to respond.
The Sentinel's general tactic is to keep only one PC corporeal at a time, where he can dispatch it without interference.
The Sentinel will tend to use his mirrored gauntlet when a single PC attacks him, to interrupt their full-round. If more than one are nearby, or if they only use a single attack, he may instead use Evasive Reflexes, to break up flanking or better position himself.
Thanks to the 2nd level of Occult Slayer, the Sentinel has 6-10 levels of Spell Turning ready for our resident sorcerer. If the Sentinel runs out of the Spell Turning, he will close to dispatch the spellcaster in melee.
If low on HP, the Sentinel will use an AoO or regular attack to activate his Vampiric Touch, for 2d6 temp HP drain.
If a PC is unconscious, the Sentinel will "coup de grace" him by forcing the spirit to cross to where he is incorporeal. There, it's a straight stabilize-or-die, as the others can't heal him when ghostly. (However, at -10 a ghost merely "discorporates" till later that day--a setback, not a real end.)

Final note: Since crossing through a mirror takes up an entire move action, an incorporeal PC that is not immediately adjacent to the Sentinel is pretty screwed for its round. As an additional option during the encounter, I'll have a wall mirror at one side of the room the PCs can use.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Adulations?

ace rooster
2014-10-02, 01:11 PM
Erm, halberd is not a reach weapon. Switching to a glaive is no biggie though.

The karmic evasive reflexes is funny (AoO occur before the thing that provoked them, so this can prevent you getting hit). I need to remember that one.

Also, NPCs are not expected to have PC WBL. This will break WBL for the players horrendously.

Gwendol
2014-10-02, 01:28 PM
I still think you are missing out on Stand Still and possibly mage slayer. And 6 AoO's? I'd drop DEX a bit and put more in strength. Without Stand Still and mage slayer they will never provoke that much. Have you looked at Hold the Line?

While Fighter levels give you a lot of feats, taking level in knight instead would net you Bulwark of Defence which will really trap your PC's (no 5' step, among other drawbacks). Alternatively you could dip crusader for the thicket of blades stance, which also makes all movement provoke (though tumble to avoid is still debated).

DM Nate
2014-10-03, 07:31 AM
Erm, halberd is not a reach weapon. Switching to a glaive is no biggie though.

Weird, but you are correct. Thanks for the catch.

The karmic evasive reflexes is funny (AoO occur before the thing that provoked them, so this can prevent you getting hit). I need to remember that one.

It triggers on getting struck, not being attacked...so I'd apply damage anyway. Otherwise, it's rather broken.

Also, NPCs are not expected to have PC WBL. This will break WBL for the players horrendously.

Yes and no in this case. The ghosts have no access to shops or any way to change out gear they can't use. They rely solely on what I drop for them from boss loot and random staches. And, to be honest, though their WBL is fine, they are still a bit underpowered.

I still think you are missing out on Stand Still and possibly mage slayer.

You're fixated on these feats, but I'm not convinced. Mage Slayer just makes our resident sorcerer...tumble backwards before casting. Feats invested in Occult Slayer means he has to think twice about casting anything at me, regardless of where he's standing.

As for Stand Still, what does stopping an enemy in their tracks honestly add to the encounter? I can already force them to cross to a plane they have to travel back from before they can attack; that's far more of a hindrance than not being able to move for one round.

And 6 AoO's? I'd drop DEX a bit and put more in strength. Without Stand Still and mage slayer they will never provoke that much. Have you looked at Hold the Line?

I think you're right on this point. The DEX isn't contributing to AC, and I doubt I'll take 6 in a round. I'll pull a point or two off of DEX and put it in STR.

As for Hold the Line, only one of our characters has a propensity to charge, and I'll just force him to cross over as soon as he passes my threatened squares. I don't need a feat to stop a charge.

While Fighter levels give you a lot of feats, taking level in knight instead would net you Bulwark of Defence which will really trap your PC's (no 5' step, among other drawbacks). Alternatively you could dip crusader for the thicket of blades stance, which also makes all movement provoke (though tumble to avoid is still debated).

Hmmmmm...Knight is interesting, though it doesn't give me the feats I need for Occult Slayer--which, again, I consider a much stronger counter to our sorcerer than Mage Slayer. And if I'm reading the reqs on the Thicket of Blades stance, I'd have to dip 3 ranks into Crusader for that one stance.

Gwendol
2014-10-03, 07:52 AM
Well, mage slayer forces the casters to do something (can't cast defensively), which at least may put a damper on touch spells. Combined with Bulwark of Defense and/or Thicket of Blades you got a winning combo: can't cast defensively and can't move without provoking. Tumbling may still be a way out, but at least it's a skill check (and the Knight can up the DC).
As for Stand Still it is a great way to keep the enemy in the kill zone, as well as negating charges (wasted action). If you drop them prone you kan keep hitting them with stand still on the AoO to force them to stay down, for example.

ben-zayb
2014-10-03, 07:59 AM
I'll also point out that Evasive Reflexes doesn't consume your AoOs for the round.

DM Nate
2014-10-03, 09:59 PM
I'll also point out that Evasive Reflexes doesn't consume your AoOs for the round.

Not by RAW, but I'd rule that either you consume an AoO, or you take the damage before you move. Probably the damage one. Otherwise it's fairly broken.