PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other (Spell) Shabon Spray! (PEACH)

DracoDei
2014-09-30, 03:14 PM
Obscuring Mist, Improved
Conjuration(Creation) [Air, Water]
Level: Clr 5, Drd 5, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, F
As per Obscuring Mist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/obscuringMist.htm), except that, to you and your allies, the fog is thin and does not significantly hamper vision.

Focii: Each ally you wish to allow to see through the fog must, at the instant of casting, be carrying either at least one item with your Arcane Mark (if you are casting this as an arcane spell) OR a flawless quartz that was worth at least 10 GP before you PERSONALLY made a DC 18 Craft[Gemcutting] check to inscribe your god's symbol (if cleric) or runes of nature (if druid) on. If you are using the quartz option then failure on the check ruins the quartz for this purpose, and reduces its market value to 5 GP).

In either case, note that losing the focus or having it stolen does not alter who is immune and who is not. Only the situation at the time of casting (ally, and carrying the right object) matters.

Fog Cloud, Improved
Conjuration(Creation) [Air, Water]
Level: Clr 6, Drd 6, Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, F
As per Fog Cloud (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fogCloud.htm), except that, to you and your allies, the fog is thin and does not significantly hamper vision.

Focii: As per Obscuring Mist, Improved.

(While familiarity with "Dungeon Keeper Ami" is in no way required to understand these spells, I still recommend it as a fun read... long, and I can not approve of the 'fan service', but fun.)

ace rooster
2014-10-01, 06:34 AM
Hmm, mass immunity to attack, and you want to boost the duration to 10min/level? Seems a bit much to me.

Also, this doesn't look like a creation spell to me. It could be a creation spell, if you also created a divination which specifically saw through this 'special' fog, but not on it's own. A fog that different creatures percieve differently screams illusion at me, will save and all.

DracoDei
2014-10-01, 03:22 PM
Hmm, mass immunity to attack, and you want to boost the duration to 10min/level? Seems a bit much to me.
Ok, no duration boost.
However, Concealment/Total Concealment is hardly "immunity to attack". It is probably less effective than a Mass version of Displacement given its stationary nature.

Also, this doesn't look like a creation spell to me. It could be a creation spell, if you also created a divination which specifically saw through this 'special' fog, but not on it's own. A fog that different creatures percieve differently screams illusion at me, will save and all.
I kept the [Creation] tag because it was part of the original two spells this is based on.

I'm very reluctant to put in any sort of saving throw given the source material. That having been said, the setting's equivalent of True Seeing would probably work against it... although it is actually pretty close to a special sense like Life-sense or the like. The usual counters in-setting would be more like Dispel Magic or Gust of Wind (and, of course, AoEs). It definitely works against undead. Then again, so does Displacement I think. I guess what I'm saying is that Illusion school might be ok, but definitely not a saving throw or [Mind Effecting] tag... well, unless I also included the disorienting effects it also had in the original.

That said, I suppose I could ignore the source material.

EDIT: Actually, lighting fires in it to dry it out locally also worked, but that is more a flaw in how the original spells work mechanically than anything wrong with these derivations.

Syne
2014-10-01, 04:19 PM
Ok, no duration boost.
However, Concealment/Total Concealment is hardly "immunity to attack". It is probably less effective than a Mass version of Displacement given its stationary nature.

I kept the [Creation] tag because it was part of the original two spells this is based on.

I'm very reluctant to put in any sort of saving throw given the source material. That having been said, the setting's equivalent of True Seeing would probably work against it... although it is actually pretty close to a special sense like Life-sense or the like. The usual counters in-setting would be more like Dispel Magic or Gust of Wind (and, of course, AoEs). It definitely works against undead. Then again, so does Displacement I think. I guess what I'm saying is that Illusion school might be ok, but definitely not a saving throw or [Mind Effecting] tag... well, unless I also included the disorienting effects it also had in the original.

That said, I suppose I could ignore the source material.

EDIT: Actually, lighting fires in it to dry it out locally also worked, but that is more a flaw in how the original spells work mechanically than anything wrong with these derivations.

No, this is far more powerful than displacement. Displacement just means that attacks have a 50% miss chance. You can still be targeted by spells, and people know which square you occupy. This is more similar to a mass version of Greater Invisibility. With this in mind, I think you should reduce the duration to 1 round/level for both spells (this is also the duration of Displacement).

A smaller technical note, "your allies" is rather ambiguous. I'd recommend you change the language to something like X creatures, or X creatures per caster level.

Also, True Seeing doesn't penetrate Creation effects, because Creation effects bring about non-magical material rather than creating an illusion or polymorphing something. If you want True Seeing to penetrate the spells, you should specify this explicitly.

DracoDei
2014-10-02, 05:44 AM
Yes, it is quite a powerful effect, and that is fine by me. I originally asked what levels were appropriate to such a great power level. I had bumped them both up by three levels originally for arcanists, and four for divine casters.

No, this is far more powerful than displacement. Displacement just means that attacks have a 50% miss chance. You can still be targeted by spells, and people know which square you occupy.
A small point but relevant: As they do in this case... provided they are adjacent to the person in question where it only provides Concealment.

It does limit range of motion. Either rewarding the enemy for moving out of an area, or restricting you and your allies to that area if they want to retain the benefits.

Greater Invisibility beats it for scouting.

This is more similar to a mass version of Greater Invisibility. With this in mind, I think you should reduce the duration to 1 round/level for both spells (this is also the duration of Displacement).
I'd rather raise the level than reduce the duration. On second thought, it hardly matters either way I should think since it isn't mobile and 1 round/level is very much enough to last through a D&D combat at these spell levels, let alone anything higher. Did you have some other reason for thinking it mattered?

A smaller technical note, "your allies" is rather ambiguous. I'd recommend you change the language to something like X creatures, or X creatures per caster level.
Hmmm... hardly keeping with the spirit of the original... then again, assuming that Dungeon Keepers qualify as epic level casters might get Ami into the correct range.

Also, True Seeing doesn't penetrate Creation effects, because Creation effects bring about non-magical material rather than creating an illusion or polymorphing something. If you want True Seeing to penetrate the spells, you should specify this explicitly.
Well, yes, that was my point.

First I have to decide which way to go on that "if"...

ace rooster
2014-10-02, 12:19 PM
Lighting fires does not affect obsuring mist, as it specifies spells. The spell levels actually look about right for what it does, given that this is one level after tiny hut, which basically does the same thing only the caster cannot leave the area, and on par with greater invisibilty for short encounters.

I would probably add in some fluff about giving talismans to allies you want to be able to see through the fog, and specify that true seeing defeats it, but otherwise it should be fine. Tactically it is can be very strong, but has to be used well.

DracoDei
2014-10-05, 05:00 AM
Lighting fires does not affect obsuring mist, as it specifies spells. The spell levels actually look about right for what it does, given that this is one level after tiny hut, which basically does the same thing only the caster cannot leave the area, and on par with greater invisibilty for short encounters.

I would probably add in some fluff about giving talismans to allies you want to be able to see through the fog, and specify that true seeing defeats it, but otherwise it should be fine. Tactically it is can be very strong, but has to be used well.
Yeah, that sounds good. Will do when I don't need to be getting to bed.

DracoDei
2014-10-07, 03:13 PM
The first post has been updated with the suggested change!

The way I did the focii slanted it even more towards the arcane side, since I get the feeling that despite wanting to be a doctor when she grows up, Ami is much more of a arcane caster than divine with her Senshi abilities.