PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Two handed power attacker (no charge)

D4rkh0rus
2014-09-30, 08:56 PM
Since adding pounce and shocktrooper leads to the typical Ubercharger, I wanted to know if there are any strong 2H builds that dont rely on charging?

Any ideas playground?

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-30, 09:16 PM
Trip builds, actually (really, the three easiest ways to p0wn as a mundane melee are TWF with bonus damage, tripping, and ubercharging). With even two or three points of Power Attack on a spiked chain, you can easily meet the 10 damage threshold for Knock-Down, and the PA penalty won't matter as much when they're prone because they're at a penalty to AC.

Gemini476
2014-09-30, 09:36 PM
Bull rushing can also be pretty effective if you combine Dungeoncrasher, that feat that lets you bull rush on a successful attack (Knockback, I think?), and maybe also one of the lesser-used functions of Shock Trooper.Nowhere near ubercharging, but it's pretty fun.

Curmudgeon
2014-09-30, 11:08 PM
Bull rushing can also be pretty effective if you combine Dungeoncrasher, that feat that lets you bull rush on a successful attack (Knockback, I think?), and ...
You can only get Knockback if you're size Large+ or a Goliath. And that feat is the only thing that makes bull rushing a THF matter, as the OP requested.

Curbstomp
2014-09-30, 11:23 PM
Water Orc or Krynn Minotaur. (Both boost STR, pretty sure one have favored class: fighter.) You want a minimum of 12 DEX (by level 6) and 11 CHA (at level 1). WIS and INT are your dump stats. STR and CON need to be as high as possible.

Warmage 1 This is for Fist of Stone and True Strike. Get wands of each of them, ideally in your weapon. Power Attack
Barbarian 1
Barbarian 2 Extra Rage
Fighter 1 Improved Toughness
Fighter 2 Cleave
Fighter 3 Combat Reflexes
Fighter 4 Great Cleave
Fighter 5
Fighter 6 Hold the Line, Improved Critical
After this you can improvise wildly... Bear Warrior would be hilarious though not thematically appropriate.

Brace a lot and use a Great Spear.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-10-01, 12:15 AM
Dungeoncrasher Fighter with Knock-Back and Knock-Down, preferably with flight so you can bull rush your opponents into the ground.

Barbarian/Etc./Frenzied Berserker, depending.

Cleric of Zarus (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20041203a) with the War and Strength domains.

Arcane Gish with Polymorph.

Psionic Gish with Metamorphosis.

Curbstomp
2014-10-01, 12:46 AM
Also see my Hoplite build: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?372477-Help-with-Hoplite-Build&highlight=hoplite

Deaxsa
2014-10-01, 01:39 AM
exotic weapon master with a bastard sword can add 2x str to damage when two-handing it...

Gwendol
2014-10-01, 01:44 AM
As noted above, Dungeoncrashers don't necessarily rely on charging.

You could gish it out with a Duskblade.

Paladins are also reliable 2H power attackers (though typically combined with charging through Rhino Rush).