PDA

View Full Version : wraiths

Ettina
2014-09-30, 11:49 PM
A few questions about wraiths.

Firstly, what would it feel like to touch a wraith? (If they aren't using their Constitution Drain.) Do they just feel like nothing, or do you feel an unpleasant cold or some really creepy sensation or what?

Second, does a wraith draining your Constitution hurt? If the wraith was hidden (say, standing inside the wall behind you, poking their head out a little bit so they can see) and decided to start draining you, could they do it without you noticing immediately?

Third, do only animals sense a wraith nearby (Unnatural Aura), or would a humanoid character get an eerie or unpleasant feeling when they're near a wraith?

Eonir
2014-10-01, 08:32 AM
In order...

You wouldn't feel anything, they aren't corporeal. Though whether they feel "cold" or "creepy" would be up the the DM.

I imagine con drain would hurt quite a lot.

I imagine with humanoids it's similar to our natural reaction to psychopaths, they just seem "off". If a wraith was near by, but hidden, it might make you feel strange.

All of this is just my opinion though.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-01, 10:11 AM
Second, does a wraith draining your Constitution hurt? If the wraith was hidden (say, standing inside the wall behind you, poking their head out a little bit so they can see) and decided to start draining you, could they do it without you noticing immediately?

Now I'm imagining a Wraith with the mosquito's bite skill trick, dealing Con drain without people noticing... they just spontaneously get thinner and attribute it to all the adventuring.

peacenlove
2014-10-01, 11:43 AM

It hurts but not like a wound would hurt. Imagine the pain if 2-3 of your organs failed simultaneously. Constitution damage can be described as organ or skeletal system atrophy, unlike the concentrated to a specific point wound of a normal blow. (bad english i know :smallfrown:)
Constitution drain is still a form of damage so it is an obviously hostile move.
So it would break invisibility and alert the victim to your presence (but not necessarily location, since incorporeals are damn hard to detect).

Ettina
2014-10-02, 06:49 AM
Another question - do wraiths starve if they go too long without draining Constitution? If so, how long is too long?

atemu1234
2014-10-02, 07:18 AM
Another question - do wraiths starve if they go too long without draining Constitution? If so, how long is too long?

I think Libris Mortis has something of this nature in the way of charisma damage.

Ettina
2014-10-06, 06:41 AM
I thought of another couple questions. Wraiths are powerless in sunlight and flee from it. Does a wraith have to flee? What if they were planning something that required them to put up with sunlight for a bit? Would they have to succeed a Will save or something, or is that line just advice on how to role-play a wraith's reaction to sunlight?

Also, what would it feel like to a wraith to be in sunlight? Would it hurt? Would it make them feel weak and scared?

atemu1234
2014-10-06, 06:49 AM
I thought of another couple questions. Wraiths are powerless in sunlight and flee from it. Does a wraith have to flee? What if they were planning something that required them to put up with sunlight for a bit? Would they have to succeed a Will save or something, or is that line just advice on how to role-play a wraith's reaction to sunlight?

Also, what would it feel like to a wraith to be in sunlight? Would it hurt? Would it make them feel weak and scared?

I don't think that they have a choice about whether to flee or not; they just flee, as if turned but not destroyed (my interpretation). It would probably be vague discomfort, not an actual physical pain (again, my interpretation).

Ettina
2014-10-06, 11:29 AM
I don't think that they have a choice about whether to flee or not; they just flee, as if turned but not destroyed (my interpretation). It would probably be vague discomfort, not an actual physical pain (again, my interpretation).

Would they be able to attempt a Will save to not flee from sunlight?

atemu1234
2014-10-06, 03:47 PM
Would they be able to attempt a Will save to not flee from sunlight?

Probably not.