PDA

View Full Version : SO..I need to make a strong BBEG for this new game im running

finaldooms
2014-09-30, 11:54 PM
as the title suggests lol ..I need help making a BBEG. I wanted to use my character as the BBEG but i dont know how i could make a fighter/melee character be a challenge of any kind against the current team we have.

the current team setup is

1 warforged artificer ( who's whole purpose in life is to buff the party and feed us magic items)

1 Storm Giant ( using homebrew that was offered) ..who at lvl 1 currently has 29 str ..and gets +7 more before he even grows bigger aagain lol..i think he is guna be a fighter/ or a barbarian

1 half celestial cleric ..who pretty much said he is guna try to stayed ranged/mostly healy ( i get the feeling he is guna be swinging alot himself in melee cause thats how his characters always end up)

1 human unarmed fighter ..pretty much not hard to handle him at least..he is going for a build he saw somewherea round here that gives him like 7 or 8 attacks at 3d12 each or something like that

..then there is me with whatever i make ( based on ideas from yall)

and MAYBE 1 more player..who is always a human.and normally a ranger

..so im open for ideas :D ..also the campaign is featuring custom items i made that have a special property ( aka cursed) with player can not remove them from person..and each item has epic dragon attraction .. similar to call undead..but it calls out lower lvl dragons ( starting at lvl 5 for the party) and then tends to pull the party to the higher lvl dragon lairs.. all the items whill have special effects that are based on character lvl and nothing else..as the characters get stronger so do the items ..and my character is going to have an item that slowly turns him evil along the way ( i typically play chaotic neutral or good so this is easy to pull off in my case)

Aegis013
2014-09-30, 11:58 PM
Serious question here, are you the DM?

finaldooms
2014-10-01, 12:05 AM
yes, I am the DM

edit: also the reason for all the dragon crap is because lately people have been complaining about how we havent been fighting enough of them ( last one we fought was a red adult..err 1 higher and they took it out in 3 rounds with no trouble ..so yea )

Aegis013
2014-10-01, 12:32 AM
As a DM with a party of 4-5, I strongly encourage you not to make a character to play in the group. Your group has enough members that the additional character is more likely to detract from the enjoyment of the game for the other players than add to it. I can explain further if you wish, but you can find oodles of DMPC horror stories if you take even a cursory look.

I suspect it would be better to have a more classic BBEG who merely goes around trying to thwart the good guys' plans or getting thwarting in his/her own dastardly schemes. As far as making a fighter a worthwhile protagonist, in a 4-5 v 1 fight, it just isn't going to be reasonably doable past very early levels, particularly if the Artificer and Cleric play their cards right.

So a possible way to have a dangerous fighter BBEG would be to have multiple smaller bad guys who are reasonably dangerous in their own right and simply make the evil fighter guy charismatic enough to unite them or other threats under a single banner against the common enemy of the party, or for some other common (evil) goal.

finaldooms
2014-10-01, 12:36 AM
..somehow i didnt even notice that I already have at least 4 other players XD ..im way to used to running with 4 people ( including the dm) ..or with 9 people with DM passing along between players ( those take a very long time to play.) .

well in that case :) i need help making a BBEG ( with minions probly ) who will make a decent challenge ..currently my biggest issue is guna be dealing with the giant ..who is guna end up being gargantuan by the end ( with an extra +16 to str and other bonuses for going up a size catagory) ..its guna be a hassle

Rainbaw
2014-10-01, 03:49 AM
..somehow i didnt even notice that I already have at least 4 other players XD ..im way to used to running with 4 people ( including the dm) ..or with 9 people with DM passing along between players ( those take a very long time to play.) .

well in that case :) i need help making a BBEG ( with minions probly ) who will make a decent challenge ..currently my biggest issue is guna be dealing with the giant ..who is guna end up being gargantuan by the end ( with an extra +16 to str and other bonuses for going up a size catagory) ..its guna be a hassle

Get a cleric or favored soul. Pick a race that gives him good stat points on his casting ability (for extra CD) and get him a few minions, and by minions i mean lethal characters with classes and magic items. make it so it takes long to even kill one and have the "main badie" heal them and buff them. if the giant keeps getting buffed, prepare something to debuff him!

you can always have small monstrs against big characters. that'd make them harder to hit.

finaldooms
2014-10-01, 09:55 AM
actually..an evil cleric doesnt sound like a bad idea..

DM Nate
2014-10-01, 11:02 AM
What options does the Giant have if he's levitating?

:xykon:

finaldooms
2014-10-01, 01:27 PM
magic still? throwing his stuff at me? XD ..plus id have to look at it to see if there is a limit on levitation or any form of lifting him up like that ..i dont plan on fighting the BBEG untill we hit lvl 20 ( my campaigns tend to get short otherwise) ..so he is guna be a gargntuan creature huraah

paperarmor
2014-10-01, 07:08 PM
well one of my fave builds is Wujen 4/Crusader1/JPM 10/Abchamp 5. Using Body Outside Body and White Raven Tactics to take CL/5 Actions per round. On top of 9th level spells including Shapechange.

atemu1234
2014-10-01, 07:27 PM
Gish Ur-Priest was one of my favorites. I once made a Paladin Of Tyranny Ur-Priest. One of the more terrifying encounters my players faced.

jiriku
2014-10-01, 07:51 PM
If you're going to make a solo monster against a party, your boss needs lots of hit points and great saves. May I recommend storm giant ur-priest 2/crusader 2/ruby knight vindicator 10/hierophant 5? Take the levels in this order: ur-priest 2/crusader 1/RKV 7/hierophant 5/crusader +1/RKv +3, to maximum access to high level martial maneuvers. This is a CR 23 monster with 38 hit dice, 9th level divine casting as a 10th level caster (which can be improved with feats), 9th level martial maneuvers as a 24th level martial initiator, up to 17 feats (including up to 6 epic feats), the ability to convert turn undead attempts into extra swift actions, a base attack bonus of +30 or so and an unbuffed Strength score that's likely to be in the 40's, and probably around 400-500 hit points. With proper buffing and several appropriate minions to support it in combat, you'd have a fearsome battle indeed -- a fitting climax for a campaign.

finaldooms
2014-10-01, 10:44 PM
If you're going to make a solo monster against a party, your boss needs lots of hit points and great saves. May I recommend storm giant ur-priest 2/crusader 2/ruby knight vindicator 10/hierophant 5? Take the levels in this order: ur-priest 2/crusader 1/RKV 7/hierophant 5/crusader +1/RKv +3, to maximum access to high level martial maneuvers. This is a CR 23 monster with 38 hit dice, 9th level divine casting as a 10th level caster (which can be improved with feats), 9th level martial maneuvers as a 24th level martial initiator, up to 17 feats (including up to 6 epic feats), the ability to convert turn undead attempts into extra swift actions, a base attack bonus of +30 or so and an unbuffed Strength score that's likely to be in the 40's, and probably around 400-500 hit points. With proper buffing and several appropriate minions to support it in combat, you'd have a fearsome battle indeed -- a fitting climax for a campaign.
so..i think il steal this lol..mind telling me which book for each thing? :D

DM Nate
2014-10-02, 06:04 AM
Is this your first campaign as DM? Few campaigns actually make it all the way from 1st to 20th.

SciChronic
2014-10-02, 09:57 AM
seeing as your party is very melee, make a recurring villain that focuses on hit and run tactics such as a shadow pouncer with shadow walk, he'll always open the fights by pouncing your big dudes, then shadow walk out of the fight, leaving his minions to fight/slow you down while he completes his own agenda.

Lightlawbliss
2014-10-02, 10:24 AM
I recommend starting DMs go for a BBEG that doesn't want to fight the party directly. If you have experienced players, make it a class that has information gathering magic. Have minions spread lies about the party. Nothing delays a party like having to clear their names of some problem, and the BBEG tend to want to delay the party.

finaldooms
2014-10-03, 02:21 AM
this will be my ..3rd game going to 20? ..most the time one memeber of the group ( same guy everytime) gets tired of playing and wants to play VOM ( .. i think thats right ..its vampire of the masqurade) or Rifts ( which is fun..in small groups ..not the 9 man groups we normally have) so the rest of the group kinda follows him ..he stops playing casue he isnt the #1 guy on the team...ever .. last 1-20 game we/I ran my fighter was the star lol ..cause at the time we had a rather dumb rule of "called attacks" ..you aim for a vital spot such as a head or artiery and take a -8 to hit ..if you hit then its 3x damage ...so yea i thought it was stupid and proccedded to abuse it to make a point lol ..and i was thinking the ur preist and a necro mancer to keep showing up causing trouble

finaldooms
2014-10-04, 10:32 PM
well the group is currently happy with the items i gave them :)

1 -cursed docent ..every lvl the character player has allows him to get a stacking 5% gold and exp crafting decrease ( max at

lvl 10 with 50%) the last 10 lvls allow the player to add a stacking +1 to all skills..at lvl 20 the player can cut the time

it takes to craft anything in half AND make 3 eternal wands that have 100uses/day ( limited to 3rd lvl spells up to dm )

2-cursed monicale ..every lvl the character player has allows him to see more and more information about monsters he looks at

with this item, as a move action the player can look and focus on a monster pulling up random information such as AC, HP,

stats ..or even what it ate for breakfast. at lvl 20 the player can see jsut about everything about the monster ( NOTE : this

only works on monsters without class lvls ..does not work on PC or other things with class lvls)

3-cursed feather ..every lvl the character player has allows him to jump higher and fall greater distances as though affected

by feather falling. stacking 20ft/lvl ( caps at lvl 10) after lvl 10 the bonus then adds a + 5 to move speed up to lvl 16 and

then turns into free flight at lvl 20 ( perfect manovuerability and control)

4-cursed talisman..every 2 lvls the character player has allows him to cast 1 divine spell at the lvl of a cleric of

equivelant lvl oh each possible spell lvl for a cleric ( ex: a 9th lvl character with this item can cast 1 5th lvl 1 4th lvl

1 3rd lvl 1 2nd lvl and 1 1st lvl divine spell) at lvl 20 this upgrades to casting 2 spells of each lvl along with a perfect

knowledge religion

5- cursed sock..every lvl the character player has allows him to escape in sisutations that would be difficult to do once per

day ( 20x at lvl 20.(a good example is a grapple, or pin) every 5 lvls the player can use dimnsion door 1/day and at lvl 10

the player gets freedom of movement with this item. at lvl 20 the player can choose to give up half of his remaining escapes

to "change fate" and make any critical have to be rerolled agianst him ( seeing if it hits AND if it confirms)

6-hair ornament..every 2 lvls the character player has gives him an extra +2 to disguise and bluff skills at lvl 10 the

player can use alter self 2/day at lvl 15 the player can use baleful polymorth 1/day and at lvl 20 the player can disguise

the party 4/day as well understand all languages.

jiriku
2014-10-04, 10:45 PM
so..i think il steal this lol..mind telling me which book for each thing? :D

storm giant: Monster Manual 1
ur-priest: Complete Divine
crusader: Tome of Battle
ruby knight vindicator: Tome of Battle
hierophant: Dungeon Master's Guide

If you don't have Complete Divine, you can replace ur-priest and hierophant levels with cleric levels. If you don't have Tome of Battle, you can replace crusader and ruby knight vindicator levels with, umm, a couple levels of paladin and roll over into blackguard, I guess.

finaldooms
2014-10-04, 11:37 PM
i have all of those books awsome :) thanks alot

finaldooms
2014-10-13, 12:53 AM
ok so..i dont have tome of battle..but there are free pdf for it..and i gota say..these abilities are rather strong lol XD ..i honestly think id not allow my party to use any of this.. makes fora great boss though