PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Floating Water Orb

torrasque666
2014-10-01, 12:23 AM
So I have a player who, when he gets to 16th level, wants a Giant Squid as his animal companion. Nature Bard going BHA and all that. Not heavily optimized. So this is purely a spell mechanics question.

Is there anyway to get a floating orb of water that is large enough to contain a Giant Squid?

Ratatoskir
2014-10-01, 12:49 AM
I was going to say a permanency'd Animate Water... But that only gives you 5ft^3 water... Maybe several of these? Three or four to carry the squid around like a watery litter and another that constantly just rubs all over keeping it moist/not suffocating?

Deox
2014-10-01, 01:26 AM
If the familiar can be shrunk in size (a few categories mind you), then the Familiar Pocket spell could be used as a starting idea.

Or, on the same line, shrink squid, keep in small floating aquarium and command word to restore its size?

Malroth
2014-10-01, 01:31 AM
http://paizo.com/prd/advanced/spells/aqueousOrb.html

torrasque666
2014-10-01, 05:02 PM
http://paizo.com/prd/advanced/spells/aqueousOrb.html Don't use pathfinder material. and it heavily implies that its a 5x5 area that it occupies, so not good for a creature that occupies a 15x15 area.

I was going to say a permanency'd Animate Water... But that only gives you 5ft^3 water... Maybe several of these? Three or four to carry the squid around like a watery litter and another that constantly just rubs all over keeping it moist/not suffocating?

I did make a mention to him of finding a way to enthrall a Gargantuan sized water elemental. Quickly dismissed as beyond our powers.

Ruethgar
2014-10-01, 05:55 PM
Buy a giant animated object. Or get a few of the spells that let aquatic creatures go land-bound. PAO solves everything. Try and get a mobile stronghold. Ocular Chain Twin Animate Water is a level one spell and should get plenty of water.

Lightlawbliss
2014-10-01, 06:19 PM
Make a giant fish bowl with legs and animate it.

he could also research a spell. I might use floating disk as a base.

torrasque666
2014-10-01, 06:29 PM
He wants some way for the squid to be able to attack through its containment.

Lightlawbliss
2014-10-01, 06:51 PM
He wants some way for the squid to be able to attack through its containment.

planer bubble of plane of water

cast air breathing on it

use that spell that makes an area breathable as water and air.

torrasque666
2014-10-01, 07:02 PM
doesn't planar bubble create a bubble of the creature's native plane?

and the air breathable water would bork his other desire of using said bubble to drown opponents.

Martimus Prime
2014-10-02, 11:05 AM
Interestingly, RAW animate objects could theoretically be applied to a volume of water - it specifies that the target object can be any material, which water is a material. You might be able to work around complaints that it isn't really an 'object' due to it being a liquid by adding a little gelatin or casting shrink item on it (turns it clothlike) before casting animate.

Creatures such as water elementals and shaboath (LoM) could be entertaining, but you've said they've already been tabled as being unavailable at your power level. If it were me, I would personally like to make it a shield guardian made of variant (alchemical) materials; the protective benefits would come from it being a jelly-like envelope surrounding the creature's living space, and it would be conceivable that tentacle attacks should pass through such a barrier.

Vogonjeltz
2014-10-02, 04:27 PM
So I have a player who, when he gets to 16th level, wants a Giant Squid as his animal companion. Nature Bard going BHA and all that. Not heavily optimized. So this is purely a spell mechanics question.

Is there anyway to get a floating orb of water that is large enough to contain a Giant Squid?

Well, no.

You could handwave and give the player a custom spell for this purpose.Try looking at Otiluke's Telekinetic Sphere as a starting point, given the right level this should make a sphere large enough to contain and move the squid (although it wouldn't allow them to make attacks outside of it.

All that being said, I'd recommend against allowing this. It sounds like the player wants to 'make fetch happen', when there are reasons Giant Squids and Dire Sharks are only available in an aquatic environment.

torrasque666
2014-10-02, 04:40 PM
All that being said, I'd recommend against allowing this. It sounds like the player wants to 'make fetch happen', when there are reasons Giant Squids and Dire Sharks are only available in an aquatic environment.

I'm inclined to agree with this. When I asked him why he was going for the giant squid instead of something else, his reason was mostly the number of natural attacks.

I'll talk with him.