PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 3.0 Wizard Help Required

Yasahiro
2014-10-01, 03:09 AM
I think I will try this again...

I am looking for help in a good 3.0 Wizard build. The books we can use are 3.0 versions of Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide and the Forgotten Realms books, along with Sword and Fist, Defenders of Faith, Stronghold Builder's Guidebook, Song and Silence... just 3.0 stuff.

The stats that I had rolled are 11, 13, 13, 15, 17, 16

The DM has houseruled that some magical items will have their price vary, depending on how complex a spell is, not just spell level. For Example, continuous stone of Light would be cheaper than usually. Also, the XP cost for making magic items is non existant, as he believes that "You learn something through creating an item, so why should you lose XP upon learning something" And I agree with it.

I was going to focus on magic item crafting, but I also want to be strong and viable. Please, help me Giantitp.

I need build advices, useful magic item advices, etc. Please, guys.

Khedrac
2014-10-01, 06:35 AM
The main problem with this is that there are so many possible "good" wizard builds (also not many people still play or think in 3.0 terms).

Personally I would favour staying a generalist wizard. The usual 3.5 arguments for specializing and banning evocation don't really apply (the orb spells are very different in 3.0) but opinions will vary (that said my main 3.0 wizard was an evoker - it fitted the character).

So - do you want to be a blaster, a crowd controller, or what? If you can decide that people may be of more help.

Yasahiro
2014-10-01, 07:56 AM
That is what I am not sure about, as this is the first time I play Wizard. I know I will specialize for transmutation, for purposes of the DM giving me discount for making magic items based on transmutation spells.

However, you mentioning Evocation being good in 3.0 made me consider it more. Any tips for possible feats?

Khedrac
2014-10-01, 11:38 AM
It's not that "evocation is good" so much as the 3.5 maxim "anything you do with evocation can be done better with conjuration" does not apply.

OK - there are not so many splat-books out for 3.0, the main on for wizards is Tome and Blood - do you have a copy?
As far as I can remember the class Candle Caster (which was never updated to 3.5) looks quite interesting and is definitely linked to item creation, but you would lose your wizard bonus feats which are probably better for an item creator.

Yasahiro
2014-10-01, 12:37 PM
Yes, I do indeed have Tome and Blood.

Also, that begs a question, though. A familiar has either half my HP or its own... It gets the better one, right?

Khedrac
2014-10-01, 03:12 PM
I think so - but most familiar have about 1D3 hit points normally for being a tiny animal. Only "improved familiars" are likely to have more than half yours.
Also as they are one of your class features they don't gain xp or class levels - thy are what they are, but can use your skills etc instead.

Droningbass
2014-10-01, 09:10 PM
It's been a while since I played 3.0, but here are just a couple random suggestions that came to mind:

Feats of Note:
*Energy Substitution (Sonic) - if you are hoping to be a blaster, this feat will allow you to get past most of your enemies energy resistance without increasing the spell level. This one is from Tome & Blood.
*Craft Wondrous Item - I think that this item creation feat tends to be one of the most useful ones, especially if you are hoping to make items for your party.

Items of Note:
*Metamagic Rods (Extend, Chaining, Empower, Quickening) - These are also in Tome & Blood, and they can prove to be really useful! Each of them lets you modify a spell with a metamagic feat 3 times per day (You could make Mage Armor or Protection Against Evil last for entire dungeons/all day, Chain Greater Magic Weapon on your entire party for hours, or fire off an extra fireball or lightning bolt when you just know that you can knock out that group of baddies!)
*Quiver of Ehlonna - This item, while it looks like it was originally pitched for archers, is perfect for wizards. The smallest pouch can hold up to 60 wands, the medium pouch can hold 18 magic rods, and the largest can hold 6 magical staffs. You also produce each of them that you wish, as if drawing an arrow from a quiver or a weapon from a scabbard.
*Heward's Handy Haversack - This item is another great item for wizards, especially if you tend to keep a bunch of scrolls, potions, or other single-use items. The item that you want to take out of the backpack will always be on top. Not to mention that it's easy on your low-strength-wizardly-back.
*Boots of Striding & Springing - These boots are one of my favorite items from 3.0! They double your speed, and they're super cheap!
*Pearls of Power - Stock up on these! Each one gives you an effective bonus spell per day, and you might even be able to convince other party members to buy you a couple in exchange for some of your best buff spells.
*Choker of Eloquence (from the Arms and Equipment Guide) - The greater choker of eloquence will give you a +10 on all of your dealings with NPCs and Summoned Creatures, and is only 6,000 gp!

Just a few ideas... hope that they help!

olelia
2014-10-01, 09:32 PM
Wait...3.0 Wizard?!

Step 1: Get Haste
Step 2: Cast Haste and laugh with your extra standard actions
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit.