PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Storm's Eye [Epic Discipline]

Jojomo
2014-10-01, 03:11 AM
I've been working on this discipline in the hopes of using it for a character I'm currently playing and have gotten to the point where repeated looks at the draft only make me nod and think, "Sure that looks good," so I figure it's time to post it and let those inclined to do so tear it apart in hopes of improvement.

Naturally, credit goes to The Demented One for codifying the Epic Discipline rules. I’d also mention Jarian’s Nine-Petaled Lotus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?263389-The-Tenth-Discipline-the-Nine-Petaled-Lotus-Epic-ToB) and Closet_Skeleton’s Union of Wind and Water (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?136856-Epic-Martial-Idea-Steal-Union-of-Wind-and-Water) as sources of inspiration.

Epic Martial Disciplines

Epic martial disciplines are the fighting styles of the most powerful warriors and swordsmen in all creation. Powerful secret techniques wielded by gods, archfiends, and epic heroes, they represent the absolute pinnacle of the Sublime Way.

Learning Epic Martial Disciplines
Every epic discipline has an epic feat associated with it, called an initiation feat. Once an epic character has taken the initiation feat of a discipline, he gains the ability to learn the maneuvers of that epic discipline. Unlike normal maneuvers, epic maneuvers must be learned individually–each one has a unique XP cost and training time to learn. Learning even a single epic maneuver is an arduous quest for the mightiest of heroes, as they must seek out a master of the discipline to learn it from. Such beings include deities, demon princes, and things far more strange. Without such a mentor, the training time required to learn an epic maneuver is doubled–and even then, the pinnacle maneuver of an epic discipline can never be learned without a mentor. As with normal martial maneuvers, a martial adept must meet certain prerequisite number of maneuvers known from the same discipline to learn epic maneuvers. Each discipline has a single “pinnacle” maneuver, one that requires all other maneuvers of the discipline to be learned before it can be mastered.

Using Epic Maneuvers
Epic maneuvers are readied and initiated differently than normal maneuvers. Whenever a martial adept readies his maneuvers, he may choose a single epic martial discipline to ready for that day. Doing so readies all epic maneuvers of that discipline that he has learned. They do not count towards his normal maneuvers readied. Each readied epic maneuver can be initiated once per encounter–they cannot be recovered by any means. The martial adept may enter epic stances of his readied discipline as if they were normal martial stances, save that no ability or effect can ever allow him to gain the benefits of any other or second stance at the same time as he gains the benefits of an epic stance. Epic maneuvers do not have a level, but are treated as being of 10th level for all purposes. The saving throw against an epic maneuver has a DC of 20 + the listed ability modifier, although many epic maneuvers list ways in which their DC can be increased. All epic maneuvers are extraordinary abilities, unless otherwise listed.

Given how numbers can diverge even in non-epic games, by the time characters enter the mid-20s, thoughts on what are appropriate numbers for damage and bonuses can vary enormously from group to group, and even within groups. Where the maneuvers below have numerical values, these are those which are at what I personally believe are a comfortable level (I know ways to surpass them with optimisation, but normally I wouldn’t). If you feel they need to be buffed or nerfed, feel free to mention it but my response might just be, “change it to whatever works for your game”. Epic play almost demands a degree of homebrewing, and tweaking seems only sensible to me.

With the preliminaries out of the way, I am pleased to present:

Storm's Eye

Quell the Storm [Epic, Initiation]
You have begun the painstaking process of merging your two fighting styles into one complete whole.
Prerequisites: Swiftsage (see Notes), Quicksilver Blade (see Notes), Martial Lore or Spellcraft 24 ranks
Benefit: Your swiftblade and unmatched dervish levels count fully when determining your initiator level and provide half progression in your swordsage maneuvers/stances known/readied and stances known/readied.You may learn maneuvers from the Storm’s Eye discipline.

This provides a lot of extra maneuvers and stances. While this doesn’t increase burst power significantly (you can already get enough maneuvers for a good combo with a small dip in swordsage), it does improve sustainability and provides a wider set of options to use. My first draft granted full maneuver progression, but I thought that was a little too much like “Gestalt Swordsage: The Feat”. Oh, and it grants access to the epic discipline. Yay.

The two feats referenced are homebrew feats made for the character, and are included here for completeness.

Swiftsage
Prerequisites: Swift Surge (+1d6/+10 ft.), ability to use 1st level maneuvers, AC bonus class feature
Benefit: You may add your Intelligence bonus to your AC instead of your Wisdom bonus, although this bonus does not stack with bonuses to AC from Wisdom, such as from the monk or the ninja. You may also use your Intelligence bonus in place of your Wisdom bonus for any other abilities granted by swordsage or its prestige classes. Your swiftblade levels add 3/4 to your initiator level instead of the normal half. Finally, your swordsage and swiftblade levels stack for the purposes of determining the benefits granted by your Quick to Act and Swift Surge features

Quicksilver Blade [Epic]
Prerequisites: Peerless Mobility, Swift Surge (+3d6/+30 ft.)
Benefit: The bonus to speed from your Peerless Mobility class feature is doubled. When you expend a spell slot to increase the effective enhancement bonus of your arcane weapon, the effective bonus can be used to penetrate DR/Epic. Furthermore, your Unmatched Dervish levels increase your Swiftblade caster level (and spells per day/spells known if applicable).

These are both multiclass feats in the vein of Swift Hunter (or more recently, Krimm's martial multiclass feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?96510-Martial-Multiclass-Feats), which I used as a template). Quicksilver Blade is a fairly direct conversion of some of the feats in Realms of Chaos' Unmatched Dervish (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=13461963&postcount=46)

Preceding Calm
Storm’s Eye (Boost)
Initation Action: 1 immediate action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round (see text)
XP: 20,000
Training Time: 10 days

Before the storm comes an eerie calm, almost anticipating the coming turmoil. You cultivate this calm within yourself, allowing an almost immediate response in any situation.

You can initiate this maneuver when you roll initiative. You act as though under the effects of a time stop spell, except that the duration is only one round of apparent time and you can interact with other creatures as normal. Creatures you attack are treated as flat-footed during this maneuver, even if they normally could not be caught flat-footed.

This doesn’t get you out of surprise rounds if you get jumped (no immediate action and you don’t roll initiative yet), but a time stop that you can use to stab people is awesome. I’m concerned this might be too good though, especially as a first maneuver. If the GM isn’t prepared for it, this might end encounters before they start (y’know, like people with Celerity/Time Stop). A lower power variant could be to make it give you 1 swift and 1 standard action, allowing you to shift stance if you need to and use Bounding Assault or cast a spell/initiate a standard action strike.

Blade of the Storm
Storm’s Eye (Strike)
Prerequisite: 1 Storm’s Eye maneuver
Initiation Action: 1 full-round action
Range: See text
Target: See text
Duration: Instantaneous
XP Cost: 30,000 XP
Training Time: 15 days

The iconic image of the storm is the elemental power of the lightning bolt. By becoming one with this primal force, you can rush across the battlefield like a bolt of lightning from the hand of a god, leaving your foes to suffer the coruscating and deafening aftermath of your passage.

As part of this maneuver, you charge an opponent. If your attack hits, it deals 4d6 damage per initiator level. The damage is half electricity and half sonic damage, and each damage type can only be reduced to half by immunities and resistances.

In addition, creatures within 60 ft. of your target or within 10 ft. of the line of your charge take half of this damage, although they can make a Reflex save (DC10 + ½ your initiator level + your Dexterity modifier) for half damage.

This discipline had to have a maneuver that turned you into a massive lightning bolt. It was impossible for me not to do. As such, yes, this is just a blast. I hope it’s good because a)it’s A LOT of blast (120d6 at level 30 to the primary target and 60d6 to all secondary targets within a sizeable area b) the primary target gets no save (screw you evasion) c) the damage partially bypasses immunity/resistance and d)YOU TURN YOURSELF INTO A MASSIVE DAMN THUNDERBOLT AND RUSH YOUR ENEMY LEAVING THE CHARRED, PULPED BODIES OF THEIR MINIONS SCATTERED IN YOUR WAKE.

Clash of Two Natures
Storm’s Eye (Boost/Counter/Strike)
Initiation Action: Varies; see text
Range: Varies
Target: Varies
Duration: Instant

At its most fundamental, each storm is a clash between two conflicting states. Drawing on the duality in yourself, you blend elements of your knowledge together in a way that would otherwise seem impossible.

When you initiate this maneuver, choose two known maneuvers of 8th level or lower. These maneuvers need not be readied, and if readied, are not expended when you initiate Clash of Two Natures. You initiate the chosen maneuvers simultaneously. The action required to initiate this maneuver is that of the longer component maneuver, unless it is used as a counter. In that case it is an immediate action.

If both of the maneuvers require a single attack roll, this maneuver is resolved with a single attack roll, applying both of their effects if it hits.

If one of the maneuvers allows you to make multiple attacks and the other allows only one, the effects of the single attack maneuver are applied to only the first attack made using the multiple attack maneuver.

Any saves or other rolls inherent to the chosen maneuvers remain, but are treated having a level equal to half your initiator level (rounded up) to determine their effects as appropriate. The maneuvers' effects are determined separately and in the order of your choice.

Clash of Two Natures may be used to activate boosts, counters, or strike manuevers.

I have to give lots of credit to Jarian for this maneuver, as it draws heavily from Golden Lotus Form (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?263389-The-Tenth-Discipline-the-Nine-Petaled-Lotus-Epic-ToB) (depowering it to do so). Limiting it to 8th level prevents the terrifying Five Time Enervating Still Shadow Strike and similar, but I wonder if it’s still a little potent. Until recently my personal draft added the single strike maneuvers to all attacks from multi-strike maneuvers, but that allowed for some truly terrifying possibilities (yes, Raging Diamond Mongoose Blade, I am looking at you). Any suggestions on clarifying the wording or modulating the power for this one are very welcome. Oh, and if I’ve missed some crazily broken combos (I haven't taken the time to exhaustively examine the possibilities) please point them out.

Countervailing Course
Storm’s Eye (Counter)
Initiation Action: 1 immediate action
Duration: 1 round, see text

To attempt to control the storm is folly, instead you merely redirect its fury. You have taken this lesson to heart, and have learned to take the force of a foe’s attack and turn it back upon them manifold.

You may activate this maneuver in response to a melee attack. You deflect the attack harmlessly, as well as any other attacks made by the same attacker for the remainder of the round. On your next turn, you add the physical damage their first attack would have dealt to your own attacks.

Got a really Big Stupid Somethingorother on your hands? Here’s a counter for that. It’s situational, but I’d want it just for that golden moment when you use it to turn an ubercharger into a red smear. Looking at it now, I wonder if adding the damage to every attack in your routine is too strong... any thoughts on that?

Hurricane of Retribution
Storm’s Eye (Strike)
Initiation Action: 1 full-round action
Range: Melee attack; see text
Target: See text
Duration: Instant

Not even armies can stand against the mighty hurricane when it is moved to violence. You channel the same power to erupt into a frenzy of destruction.

As part of this maneuver, you may move up to your double your speed without provoking attacks of opportunity. You may make two attacks against each creature you threaten during this movement, or four if wielding two or more weapons. All attacks are made at your highest attack bonus. No creature may be the target of this maneuver more than once.

Oh hey Desert TempDEAR GODS WHAT HAVE THEY BEEN FEEDING YOU? Simple and (hopefully) effective.

Guard of Capricious Winds
Storm’s Eye (Counter)
Prerequisite: 2 Storm’s Eye maneuvers
Initiation Action: Immediate action
Duration: Concentration
XP Cost: 45,000 XP
Training Time: 20 days

The wind is a fickle thing, sometimes dancing this way, sometimes another. For those who are one with the storm however, a measure of control can be obtained. The winds can be summoned to ward off even the mightiest of attacks. While this control is fleeting, the canny master can retain a degree of it afterwards, though doing so is mentally taxing.

You can initiate this maneuver when targeted by physical attack. That attack is deflected harmlessly, unless it would normally be guaranteed to hit, in which case it is resolved as a normal attack. For as long as you concentrate on this maneuver, you may opt to make an opposed attack roll against any attack made within 120 ft. of you (ranged attacks that pass through this area may also be affected). If you succeed on the opposed roll, the attack is deflected harmlessly. You may do so a number of times per round equal to your Intelligence modifier.

Another counter, which can even be used to counter certain other epic maneuvers (hello Invincible Sword Princess). So long as you focus, you can swat a fair number attacks away from your friendly squishies as an added bonus.

Requiem of Solace
Storm’s Eye (Counter)
Initiation Action: Immediate action
Duration: Encounter

In the storm’s wake, there is nothing but devastation. In comparison, the petty hurts of mortal affairs seem paltry. Embracing this detached state of mind allows you to shrug off blows that would fell giants or cripple dragons.

You can initiate this maneuver whenever you would be dealt damage or have a negative condition inflicted upon you. Any damage that would be dealt to you is prevented, and any negative effects are negated. For the remainder of the encounter, you gain damage reduction equal to your initiator level that cannot be penetrated by normal means (DR x/-) and a bonus to all saving throws equal to one fifth of your initiator level.

Another “nope” button, this one more for magic and other assorted nastiness. I’m a fan of scaling values for epic stuff, hence the lack of flat numbers. Round the DR down to the nearest 5 (minimum 5) if you’re finicky about that kind of thing.

Unbridled Fury of the Tempest
Storm’s Eye (Strike)
Initiation Action: 1 standard action
Range: Melee attack; see text
Target: 1 creature or object
Duration: Instantaneous

When the full fury of the storm is unleashed, nothing can remain intact. In a single stroke, you can destroy matter and magic like chaff upon the wind.

As part of this maneuver, you make a melee attack, which can be used in one of two ways: to sunder material objects or to sunder magic.

If used to sunder material objects, your attack overcomes all damage reduction (even if it could not normally be penetrated), and always deal lethal damage regardless of abilities such as regeneration. If the attack hits the target must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + half your initiator level + your Dexterity modifier) or be utterly destroyed, leaving not even a trace of dust behind. Even if they succeed on the save, they still take 3d6 damage per initiator level. If this maneuver is used on a mundane object that object is utterly destroyed as if it had failed its save (planets are not a valid target for this maneuver, though a mountain probably would be).

If used to sunder magic, your attack is not affected by any supernatural defensive abilities (such as, but not limited to AC, miss chance or damage reduction granted by supernatural effects). If it hits, the target is affected as if by an epic dispelling effect with a dispel check of 1d20+10+ your initiator level.

I’m still tempted to lump both of these effects together (if you don’t manage to annihilate someone at least all his magic stuff is probably down for a few rounds. The damage isn’t huge, it’s meant as consolation so the maneuver doesn’t feel wasted. As for the effect on objects (screw you undead and constructs) that’s mainly in for rule of cool. Ask your GM what it effects. I’d totally let someone blow an incoming asteroid away (unless it’s Atropos), but they might have differing views.

Perfect Calm of the Storm’s Eye
Storm’s Eye (Stance) [Pinnacle]
Prerequisite: 8 Storm’s Eye maneuvers
Initiation Action: 1 swift action
Duration: Stance
XP Cost: 100,000 XP
Training Time: 50 days

In contrast to the calm that comes before the storm, the utter stillness at its heart is as a still lake to a thundering torrent. Tapping into the inherent duality of the storm, you take on aspects of its components, each enhancing the other. Unlike the uncomfortable calm that came before, this perfect clarity affords you a truly unmatched swiftness in both thought and action.

When you enter this stance, you gain the benefits of two non-epic stances that you know, and any numerical benefits they provide are doubled. In addition, you gain 120’ blindsight that automatically overcomes any magical attempt at stealth, save for those provided by epic spells, artifacts, and epic destiny features. When using your Perpetual Options class feature, you may opt to take another full round of actions rather than a swift, move or standard action as normal (thereby allowing you to take two rounds of actions in a single round by giving up your extra attack from haste).

Perfect Calm of the Storm’s Eye is an extraordinary ability, though if it replicates the effects of a stance which is a supernatural ability, that particular effect of the stance is still supernatural.

BAM! NAME DROP!

Don’t you hate it when epic stances make you turn off your favourite non-epic ones (hi Blood in the Water, hi Leading the Charge)? Well I won’t make you do that. In fact, have an upgrade. Also, you know who needs to shapechange into a Chronotryn? Not you, that’s who. The other effects are mainly to ensure melee reliability at high levels.

And with that, it is done! Thanks for reading all of it if you got this far, and PEACH! :smallbiggrin: