PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for carrying a Chessex megamat?

stitchlipped
2014-10-01, 03:29 AM
Hi guys,

I recently picked up a Chessex megamat, and while it is incredibly useful I can see it being a pain in the nether regions to carry around, a fact that matters to me as all my games involve travelling places.

A friend of mine sliced his into multiple pieces which made the rolled up mats short enough to put into his backpack, but I think I'd rather keep it whole (I'd probably balls up the knife work too, knowing me).

Ideally I'd be looking for a container that includes a strap long enough to put over my shoulder. The mat is 34 and a half inches (88 cm) long and a couple of inches in diameter when rolled up.

Has anyone else previously found a solution to this problem, or got a bright idea that might help me?

Thanks!

MrUberGr
2014-10-01, 04:18 AM
You could find what you're looking for at a shop for designing stuff. Architecture, art etc. Where they would buy their supplies like pens, large papers etc. They're used for carrying blueprints.

BTW did you buy this from some physical or online store?

stitchlipped
2014-10-01, 04:26 AM
You could find what you're looking for at a shop for designing stuff. Architecture, art etc. Where they would buy their supplies like pens, large papers etc. They're used for carrying blueprints.

BTW did you buy this from some physical or online store?

I just did a quick search and the document/drawing tubes look like they would be perfect! Thanks.

I got it online (https://www.thediceshoponline.com/).

hymer
2014-10-01, 05:13 AM
Has anyone else previously found a solution to this problem, or got a bright idea that might help me?

We keep a mat at each of the three places we usually play, so there's no need to lug them around. Sounds like you already have two in the group, maybe it's a possibility.

stitchlipped
2014-10-01, 05:39 AM
We keep a mat at each of the three places we usually play, so there's no need to lug them around. Sounds like you already have two in the group, maybe it's a possibility.

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately not, I found my games through the London D&D Meetup Group, as a result we mostly play in the function rooms of pubs!

Kami2awa
2014-10-01, 12:50 PM
I don't know quite how big the mat is but you can get some really massive poster tubes, usually with carry handle or shoulder strap. I have one that is approx 105cm long and 16cm diameter and they can be longer. Some of them "telescope" to longer lengths as well.

Failing that, your could look into cases made for the longer martial arts weapons like bo staves, which are similar but even longer.

Crazy idea but how about a golf bag? You may be able to get one very cheap from ebay or similar. Cheaper ones will probably not have internal slots for clubs, which is what you want.

TheThan
2014-10-01, 02:49 PM
You can make one easily enough.
Buy a piece of PVC pipe of the appropriate length and width (2-3 inchs wide by 3-4 feet long is usually plenty), a friction fit end cap and a screw on end cap. Then find yourself some way of securing it to a carry strap, an old belt, some rope, a strap from a messenger/laptop bag etc. whatever you can come up with.

Assemble this thing and store your battle mat in the tube.

I’ve used the same method to make quivers for arrows and other such items.

lytokk
2014-10-02, 07:28 AM
I usually roll mine up and put it in the bag with my books. Granted, I don't think my mat is a chessex, but its pretty pliable so even rolled up it bends pretty well into the bag to fit. Of course its also about 10 years old now.

Slipperychicken
2014-10-03, 05:03 PM
I don't know quite how big the mat is

Chessex megamats are 34.5 x 48 inches (roughly 3ft by 4ft).

I own one myself, and face similar issues to the OP. I typically tie mine up with rubber bands to keep it rolled, and just sort of let it stick out of my backpack. I've been thinking of wrapping it in a garbage-bag to keep the grime and sunlight off (you're not supposed to get too much sun or heat on it).