PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Runestaff and multiple spell level choices?

SiuiS
2014-10-01, 04:31 AM
Rune Staff! A neat idea, really, conceptually grand. I've hit a snag though, and my only real source – MIC – doesn't really say one way or another. It doesn't even imply, as stuff like this tends to have a specific call out if it is intended one way or another.

A Runestaff lets you use your spell slots to cast it's spells. So far, so good.

What happens if a Disciple of Orcus (or whatever the class is called; death something?) makes a Runestaff with the animate dead spell? What happens if after that, a dread necromancer or wizard get ahold of the staff?

For the creator, animate dead is a 2nd level spell. "They're divine!" Let's assume shenanigans, for now. Bear with me. This guy could spend a 2nd level spell slot and cast animate dead.

The dread necromancer gets the staff. For the dread necromancer, this is a 4th level spell, however, not 2nd. So, when using the runestaff, Does the dread necromancer;

• expend a 2nd level slot, casting the 2nd level spell Animate Dead?
• expend a 4th level slot, casting the 2nd level spell Animate Dead?
• expend a 4th level slot, casting the 4th level spell Animate Dead?

And if you're sure the answer is definitive, where do I go for rules backing on this? I'm ignoring the "runestaff a should have 3rd level or higher spells" thing because the very next paragraph uses a 1st level spell. I can get a Runestaff as a boon, at 3rd level, and want to make sure I can even use it before bothering. This includes some small level of shenanigans, on my part; I could grab a Runestaff of sanctum animate dead for a 1st level casting of it, but if I still need to use a 4th level slot, blegh.

Further query: could one UMD a runestaff to get the better Spell Level?