PDA

View Full Version : New Players, Semi-Experienced DM, and Archivist

atemu1234
2014-10-01, 06:54 AM
I'm DMing a new campaign with a group of new players, one of whom wants to learn the game so he can DM in future. Unfortunately, he refuses to learn how the spellcasting on the character he's running (an archivist) works, so he's going on and on about the Unarmed Fighter 2/Barbarian X who has superior unarmed strike being better than his character. How do I show him that's just not the case?

Wacky89
2014-10-01, 08:25 AM
what level are they at?
Personally the most fun I've had is with archivist.
Maybe introduce him to Archivist Handbook
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=185.0

Eonir
2014-10-01, 08:27 AM
I would just run a simulated battle between the two. The archivist shouldn't have any problems, and nothing quite changes a player's mind like a show of arms.

Red Fel
2014-10-01, 08:50 AM
I'm DMing a new campaign with a group of new players, one of whom wants to learn the game so he can DM in future. Unfortunately, he refuses to learn how the spellcasting on the character he's running (an archivist) works, so he's going on and on about the Unarmed Fighter 2/Barbarian X who has superior unarmed strike being better than his character. How do I show him that's just not the case?

Ask him a simple question: Does he plan to DM games without spellcasters?

Then offer to let him DM a one-shot, one-player campaign, with you as the player. You will play a spellcaster. You will cheese the spells. You will cheese the ever-loving crap out of the spells. And he will be constantly questioning whether you can do that. (As he should.)

When you're finished, explain to him that, in order to DM and prevent shenanigans, he needs to familiarize himself with how spellcasters work. Remind him that he's playing one, and suggest that he try to learn it from experience.

When you get back to your regular campaign, he will (hopefully) have the incentive to pay attention to the spellcaster side of his character. No need to make comparisons, no need to make elaborate or detailed arguments on class balance or mechanics or caster versus non-caster. Just an incentive - a personal incentive - to learn how casters work, so that he can become a better DM.

Alternatively, he'll get cheesed off by your antics, give up on DMing, and develop a deep-seated hatred for casters. But, hey, win-win, right?

Greenish
2014-10-01, 08:55 AM
I'm DMing a new campaign with a group of new players, one of whom wants to learn the game so he can DM in future. Unfortunately, he refuses to learn how the spellcasting on the character he's running (an archivist) works, so he's going on and on about the Unarmed Fighter 2/Barbarian X who has superior unarmed strike being better than his character. How do I show him that's just not the case?Tell him it's not the character that is the problem, but the player.

Or just smite his character and let him start another. If he's actively refusing to learn how his character works, there's no point letting him run it.