PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e Underdark Melee Class Suggestion?

Alwayscivilmike
2014-10-01, 09:13 AM
Everyone,

I am requesting recommendations for classes for an Underdark 3.5e game I am joining. Here is what I have to work with:

Setting: The Underdark
Race: stuck with Duergar (there are Drow in the group)
Game type: normal encounters but there IS PVP which is the main reason for the request.
Levels: 16! I rolled perfect!
Books allowed: any of the published ones.
Others in group: all I know is there is one scout/ranger with the swift Hunter feat (the build I wanted to play)
Edit: Looks like I am stuck with a melee guy. :-(

Main Question:
So, there are LOTS of Drow PCs. I am one of the 'lucky' ones to play a Duergar. What I am looking for is a melee class that has survivability in this world. I KNOW I will be attacked by PC from time to time. I have not played many high level games but from what others have told me AC is not as critical as everything hits a lot more. They say saves are more important. True?

I am leaning towards a swordsage or a warblade. Their powers basically have no SR issues which almost everything I will face will have. I thought about a Shadow Hand focused SwordSage but I am not sure how valuable the SA damage will be. Thought maybe the warblade would be able to deal more damage (without SA damage) and have a better chance to survive (with the manuvera that give better chance of making saves.)

Anyways, there you have it. For this specifics world with all the stinking dirty Drow and PVP that is expected...what do you think

Oh..and the DM is thinking to change the favored class of the Duergar to Ranger.

ACM

Red Fel
2014-10-01, 09:27 AM
I am requesting recommendations for classes for an Underdark 3.5e game I am joining. Here is what I have to work with:

Well, Duergar is a type of Dwarf, which immediately makes me think of the Ironsoul Forgemaster (see my sig for handbook). That said, a campaign like this might not give you the downtime you need to forge your awesome gear, so other strategies may be called for.

Given the Duergar's Con bonus, I might suggest a different kind of melee - Warblade/Totemist. Warblade gets you ample combat versatility. Totemist gets you an arsenal of natural weapons. Take the Dragontouched feat and gain the Dragonblood subtype, which opens up even more soulmelds (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=4). Grab Stormguard Warrior and use Combat Rhythm to alternate between rounds, dealing 0 damage one round and "Nope, it's dead" damage the next. Grab an Amulet of Mighty Fists (I'm going with the AoMF here, not the NoNW, for a reason) and gain +X across the board to all of your natural weapons, meaning they're now all magical and all brutal. Go nuts, and unleash hell.

And if those Drow mess with you, they get one round. One. Because on the second round, they will explode like an overstuffed wurst.

As an aside, I believe Duergar have a lower LA than Drow. Are you making use of that?

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-01, 10:04 AM
Seconding Warblade/Totemist. This post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17940530&postcount=27) (by Red Fel, actually) outlines a quick way to do exactly what he describes above (namely, 0 damage in one round, "nope it's dead" the next). And it doesn't have any uses/day abilities involved, so you're at an advantage against casters for PvP purposes.

Gwendol
2014-10-01, 10:06 AM
For something Dwarfy you could do Ranger/Deepwarden (and add Warblade or Swordsage to the mix)
Deepstone sentinel perhaps is another option?

Jgosse
2014-10-01, 10:47 AM
I would take 1 level barbarian for pounce and whirling frenzy, 1 or 2 levels dwarven fighter rsc, min 3 levels scout more if you like the class abilities, X levels ranger with lone hunter and champion of the wild, and 2 or more levels deep warden.

infomatic
2014-10-01, 01:46 PM
Why put 'lucky' in quotes? Duergar's a much better option than Drow for nearly anything. Use enlarge and reach/tripping tactics to lock down entire battlefields.

(Use the psionic version of Duergar, which automatically augments with hit dice. You'll go up 2 size categories, not 1.)

Warblade/totemist have awesome potential in combat, as noted, plus lots of utility as well. (It's a fair bit of paperwork, though.) Fighter2/Lawful Incarnate3/IronForgeSoulmaster10 also works nicely -- nice Power Attack boosts, and plenty of immunities.

Psion4/Warblade/Slayer or Sanctified Mind could also work well.

Deadline
2014-10-01, 06:33 PM
If ToB is on the table, and you want survivability, then look no further than a Duergar Crusader. It's one of the toughest class options out there, is a melee powerhouse, and is incredibly survivable. You could go straight Crusader 16.

Alwayscivilmike
2014-10-09, 02:03 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments.

I got accepted as a member of an assassination guild. So, my concept needs to have some kind of stealth involved.

I like the swordsage a lot but the shadow hand has a lot of powers that have a fort save. Doesn't that get weaker at higher levels? I am almost sure we will face undead monsters AND pcs which would make the fort save powers worthless. I love the throw manuvers but don't you need the improved trip feats to make it more 'make-able'?

I can buy back my ecl 1 for very cheap so I will start at level 15 but be very close to 16.

The Totem class is off the table *whimper*

So, are the Prcs from ToB any good? I am not an elf and the DM won't bend on that requirement on the one Prc. Is MoN worth it? I know the feat requirement is STEEP. Can you even be a straight warblade and become a MoN? Guessing you need to blow more feats for martial study?

FYI: DM changed Duergar FC to ranger. Level did if I was a SS?

I guess I am looking for the most options in combat without having to have 5 different Prcs/classes. I do not have to hit harder than everyone else. I just want options (hence thought the MoN with all the extra manuvers and readies m's was perfect).

Thanks in advance everyone. Really do appreciate the advice.

NOTE: will ask for a manuvers/feat build when the class/Prc is set because you all are 1,000 more versed in this as I am *blush*)