PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the gain 4 martial weapon proficiencies feat.

Spacehamster
2014-10-01, 09:46 AM
This feat is worthless and doubt it will ever see use. So here is a simple fix making it worth taking. Instead you gain 2 martial prof's AND can choose a fighting style. Does this sound more in line with other feats power?

Spacehamster to infinity and beyond!

Jeraa
2014-10-01, 10:04 AM
This feat is worthless and doubt it will ever see use. So here is a simple fix making it worth taking. Instead you gain 2 martial prof's AND can choose a fighting style. Does this sound more in line with other feats power?

Spacehamster to infinity and beyond!

To be fair, its only half a feat. You still gain a +1 increase to Strength or Dexterity when you take the Weapon Master feat. Also, its 4 weapons of any type, not just martial weapons.

Spacehamster
2014-10-01, 10:21 AM
To be fair, its only half a feat. You still gain a +1 increase to Strength or Dexterity when you take the Weapon Master feat. Also, its 4 weapons of any type, not just martial weapons.

Well there is simple weapons that are sub par to martial so anyone that would take the feat would take 4 martial ones, and +1 does not do anything unless you happen to have a uneaven stat there to begin with, the bonus outside the stat boost is worthless hence I suggested a change to it to make it a feasable choice. :)

DireSickFish
2014-10-01, 10:28 AM
DMG isn't out yet but if you want to be proficient with Trebuchet, Catapults, or Batista this would be the feat to take. Also +1 stat feats are great for races that give +2 to the primary stat so you can pick up a benefit along with advancing your primary stat to the next rank at lvl4. That said I think the fighting styles are way to good to be in a half feat. They are good enough that I'd say 1 feat = 1 fighting style. If you find the way of gaining proficiency lackluster in feat form perhaps talk to your DM about the skill proficiency training option presented in the PHB.

Spacehamster
2014-10-01, 10:40 AM
DMG isn't out yet but if you want to be proficient with Trebuchet, Catapults, or Batista this would be the feat to take. Also +1 stat feats are great for races that give +2 to the primary stat so you can pick up a benefit along with advancing your primary stat to the next rank at lvl4. That said I think the fighting styles are way to good to be in a half feat. They are good enough that I'd say 1 feat = 1 fighting style. If you find the way of gaining proficiency lackluster in feat form perhaps talk to your DM about the skill proficiency training option presented in the PHB.

To be honest I did not remember that it gave ability increase aswell as the 4 wrap profs, did not have the book around when I posted. Well I thought it would be nice with a feat that gives weapon style, since that makes it a choice of a feat or ability boost instead of a choice of multiclass or no style at all.

Finding it odd that so few classes gets fighting styles in general, barbarian, valor bard and assassin rogue comes to mind to classes that makes sense having fighting styles.

pikeamus
2014-10-01, 10:44 AM
To be honest I did not remember that it gave ability increase aswell as the 4 wrap profs, did not have the book around when I posted. Well I thought it would be nice with a feat that gives weapon style, since that makes it a choice of a feat or ability boost instead of a choice of multiclass or no style at all.

Finding it odd that so few classes gets fighting styles in general, barbarian, valor bard and assassin rogue comes to mind to classes that makes sense having fighting styles.

Barbarian and assassin have fighting styles already. They are called Rage and Sneak Attack, respectively.

Spacehamster
2014-10-01, 10:46 AM
Barbarian and assassin have fighting styles already. They are called Rage and Sneak Attack, respectively.

If we are going to be like this then fighter got a style already, it's called action surge, and paladin got its smites and so on.

pikeamus
2014-10-01, 10:59 AM
If we are going to be like this then fighter got a style already, it's called action surge, and paladin got its smites and so on.

I wasn't being facetious. Those two abilities are flavourful (and mechanically powerful for that matter) representations of how those archetypes fight. Action surge is just being a big god damnned hero, whereas fighting style represents a fighters technical weapon skills. Similar for a paladin. Feels right to me as it is.

Galen
2014-10-01, 12:04 PM
The feat does not require fixing. Four weapon proficiencies for the cost of what is effectively a half-feat, is quite good.

mabriss lethe
2014-10-01, 12:21 PM

I think that counts as an improvised weapon.

http://the-void.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/dave-batista-red.jpg

DireSickFish
2014-10-01, 01:56 PM
I treat it like a special weapon that stops things from being thrown over my head. =P

BRKNdevil
2014-10-01, 02:10 PM

http://www.savingsaidsimply.com/wp-content/uploads/Dave-Batista-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Drax.jpg

I'm assuming you mean a Ballista but i like the this version better.

Edit... damn, missed the above post

Person_Man
2014-10-01, 02:10 PM
I think that the Archery and Protection Fighting Styles are close to 3/4ish of a Feat. +2 to hit or imposing Disadvantage as a Reaction is pretty useful.

Maybe "You gain +1 to Dexterity or Strength, and Proficiency with all weapons. If you already have Proficiency with all Marital weapons, then gain +1 to damage with all weapons that you are Proficient with."

Eslin
2014-10-02, 10:31 AM
The feat does have one very good use - there are a variety of weapons wielded by monsters in the monster manual, from 2d12+auto grapple to 2d8+3d6 cold+dc15 slow, and if you obtain one your DM could rightly tell you you aren't proficient with it. The feat isn't martial weapon proficiencies, it's any weapon - go to town with your new hellspear proficiency!

SaintRidley
2014-10-02, 11:14 AM
And then they could point out that it's not sized for you and you can't actually use it as a weapon, since it's too big for human use, except those instances where you're enlarged. Womp womp.

Demonic Spoon
2014-10-02, 11:31 AM
the feat fills a useful niche in allowing you to be proficient in things you can't otherwise be proficient in. Exotic weapons were mentioned above (not all of which are necessarily going to be impossible for human use).

Eslin
2014-10-02, 11:36 PM
And then they could point out that it's not sized for you and you can't actually use it as a weapon, since it's too big for human use, except those instances where you're enlarged. Womp womp.

That's what enlarge person or lycanthropy are for =D

It's in your best interests to track down/divine the location of a werebear and convince/magically force him to bite you no matter what your character is - free large size, +1 armour, 19 strength and natural weapons are good on everyone.

SaintRidley
2014-10-02, 11:46 PM
Enjoy having a book slapped upside your head. And the DM to exercise full discretion to "decide that a change in alignment places the character under DM control until the curse of lycanthropy is removed."

Or there just not to be lycanthropes.

Eslin
2014-10-02, 11:53 PM
So start off as lawful good, then there's no change in alignment. It's not like being lawful good is a huge chore.

SaintRidley
2014-10-03, 12:29 AM
And if the lawful good werebear says "I would never inflict this curse on anybody" and your response is to magically compel them to bite you anyway? You're probably not actually lawful good.

Try talking to the DM and figuring out a way for it to happen in game, but don't just assume that as soon as you hit level 5 and werebears become appropriate challenges you can just become one.

Eslin
2014-10-03, 01:10 AM
And if the lawful good werebear says "I would never inflict this curse on anybody" and your response is to magically compel them to bite you anyway? You're probably not actually lawful good.

Try talking to the DM and figuring out a way for it to happen in game, but don't just assume that as soon as you hit level 5 and werebears become appropriate challenges you can just become one.

Really? One act cancels out a lifetime of deeds? An eldritch knight needs greater strength to defend his community from the orcs currently raiding it and tracks down a werebear, asking him to share his power. If the werebear refuses, isn't the act of greatest overall good to compel him to bite you anyway? And even if it isn't, and forcing someone to turn you into a lycanthrope so you can use that power to defend the innocent suddenly cancels out all the lives you save, being a werebear turns you lawful good again anyway.

I don't assume I can just become one, I take the initiative in becoming one myself and actively encourage everyone else to let me bite them.

SaintRidley
2014-10-03, 02:01 AM
Sorry, but making yourself a lycanthrope so you can murderhobo better is not the DM's prerogative. If your character wouldn't bat an eye at using magic to force another person to comply, there's going to be more than the one single act. The kind of person who employs mind control magic doesn't get to call themselves Good - there's no respect for the life or dignity of your fellow being in doing so.

And if the Werebear turns you LG, doesn't matter. Alignment changed, and the DM can hold onto your character until they get uncursed. Just because it's listed in the Monster Manual doesn't mean you get to play with it. Like I said, work it out with the DM beforehand rather than assume that you can derail the game for your personal power trip to make your character stronger.

That's my say. And I'm done.

Eslin
2014-10-03, 02:17 AM
Sorry, but making yourself a lycanthrope so you can murderhobo better is not the DM's prerogative. If your character wouldn't bat an eye at using magic to force another person to comply, there's going to be more than the one single act. The kind of person who employs mind control magic doesn't get to call themselves Good - there's no respect for the life or dignity of your fellow being in doing so.

And if the Werebear turns you LG, doesn't matter. Alignment changed, and the DM can hold onto your character until they get uncursed. Just because it's listed in the Monster Manual doesn't mean you get to play with it. Like I said, work it out with the DM beforehand rather than assume that you can derail the game for your personal power trip to make your character stronger.

That's my say. And I'm done.

I never said 'wouldn't bat an eye', I said do so in this instance to enable yourself to defend others. And read the book, mind control magic doesn't actually make you evil. I mean it probably should, but dominate person is neutral. Again, I never suggested going around and mind controlling everyone to get your way, but when someone else can give you a free power boost and you're going to use that boost to help people (which he knows you will, since lawful good) and doesn't do so because reasons, a few seconds of mind control in order to help a lifetime of righteous deeds is a good act.

And LG isn't alignment changed if you're already LG, kind of the whole point.

TheOOB
2014-10-03, 02:30 AM
I think that the Archery and Protection Fighting Styles are close to 3/4ish of a Feat. +2 to hit or imposing Disadvantage as a Reaction is pretty useful.

Maybe "You gain +1 to Dexterity or Strength, and Proficiency with all weapons. If you already have Proficiency with all Marital weapons, then gain +1 to damage with all weapons that you are Proficient with."

Then to maximize damage every martial character would need to take that feat.