PDA

View Full Version : Need help with XP system

MiloFranklin
2014-10-01, 10:28 AM
Hello, homebrew people! I'm building a Star Trek RPG based on the SPECIAL system from Fallout.

It's pretty barebones right now, but I wanted to ask a question of you veterans out there.

How do you put together an XP system? This RPG is more roleplay focused than combat focused, if that's relevant.
Should I just borrow the XP system from another RPG? I've never put one together before, so if any of you could help, that would be fantastic.

Once it's finished I could post it, if you want.

Steel Mirror
2014-10-01, 10:43 AM
Do you mean a system for determining how xp is used by the players, or a system to determine how xp rewards are handed out by the GM? Or both?

If you are going by a level-up based system, where you accrue a certain amount of xp which is then used to upgrade the character, there are a few options. D&D is the classic and the ur-example of xp, in which the darn things just pile up in your xp savings account until you reach a certain threshold, then *ding!* You spend it all at once to advance to the next level.

Some systems have unpacked that xp savings account model, and let you spend xp on individual stats and abilities. So, unlike in the D&D example where you more or less get better at everything your character does all at the same time whenever you level up, a system like Mutants & Masterminds (http://www.d20herosrd.com/) lets you spend points to individually improve just your toughness, or just your accuracy, or just your super telekinetic brain powers.

As you move away from the more mechanics-heavy systems and towards some of the more narratively focused games, xp tends to be more straightforward. FATE (http://fate-srd.com/fate-core/advancement-change)is probably a pretty good example of that. They dispense for the need to track xp as a second resource entirely. What is xp for after all? Tracking when you will next get the chance to upgrade your sheet by improving an old ability or adding a new one? Well, says FATE, why not cut out xp entirely? Just have the GM tell his players at certain appropriate moments that they may improve a skill, or add a new power, or change one of their character aspects.

Those may be helpful or may be entirely missing the point of your question, but if you have further questions I'm happy to discuss! :smallbiggrin:

MiloFranklin
2014-10-01, 11:07 AM
Do you mean a system for determining how xp is used by the players, or a system to determine how xp rewards are handed out by the GM? Or both?

If you are going by a level-up based system, where you accrue a certain amount of xp which is then used to upgrade the character, there are a few options. D&D is the classic and the ur-example of xp, in which the darn things just pile up in your xp savings account until you reach a certain threshold, then *ding!* You spend it all at once to advance to the next level.

Some systems have unpacked that xp savings account model, and let you spend xp on individual stats and abilities. So, unlike in the D&D example where you more or less get better at everything your character does all at the same time whenever you level up, a system like Mutants & Masterminds (http://www.d20herosrd.com/) lets you spend points to individually improve just your toughness, or just your accuracy, or just your super telekinetic brain powers.

As you move away from the more mechanics-heavy systems and towards some of the more narratively focused games, xp tends to be more straightforward. FATE (http://fate-srd.com/fate-core/advancement-change)is probably a pretty good example of that. They dispense for the need to track xp as a second resource entirely. What is xp for after all? Tracking when you will next get the chance to upgrade your sheet by improving an old ability or adding a new one? Well, says FATE, why not cut out xp entirely? Just have the GM tell his players at certain appropriate moments that they may improve a skill, or add a new power, or change one of their character aspects.

Those may be helpful or may be entirely missing the point of your question, but if you have further questions I'm happy to discuss! :smallbiggrin:

Thank you. That's the kind of thing I was looking for. I'll be sure to post it when I'm done, as well as a non-series specific version for those who aren't into Star Trek, or as essentially a roleplay focused GURPS.

I'll ask more questions if they come up, but I think I'm good for the time being.

~Milo