PDA

View Full Version : DM Help RHoD Advice

JBarca
2014-10-01, 11:16 AM
If you're in my RHoD campaign (and you know who you are), you probably don't want to be reading any of this.

Hey all. Preface: I have read the entirety of Saintheart's excellent handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?171284-The-3-5-Red-Hand-Of-Doom-Handbook-for-DMs-Major-spoilers!-WIP-PEACH!) on the subject, more than once.

That being said: I'm running a RHoD campaign starting this weekend. The party will be a Force Missile Mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?337376-Base-The-Force-Missile-Mage-in-20-levels-PEACH), a Trumpet Archon (from Savage Species) with VoP, a TWF Ranger, and a Warblade. In addition, we have a possible fifth player who's looking at Soulbow. He'll likely not play every session, but he may be around for a chapter or two.

Is there anything specific of which I should be aware, in relation to these specific classes? If the Handbook covers everything relevant, great. I just want to make sure that there won't be any nasty surprises for me or the players due to class choice. It's Blaster, Buffer, Melee, Support Melee, so I'm not too worried about makeup.

Thanks for your time.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-01, 12:37 PM
Is the Trumpet Archon allowed to have their trumpet/magic greatsword despite their Vow of Poverty? It's a racial ability, so I should think so, but that's weird nonetheless.

jiriku
2014-10-01, 01:04 PM
Every module requires a little bit of tweaking to make it work with your specific group, but yours seems well-matched IMO. The lack of healing resources shouldn't be a big deal, since they'll loot a good quantity of healing items off their enemies. Make sure they can get the healing resources they need if battlefield loot doesn't work out for them for whatever reason -- buying things from the various NPCs in the starting town should work adequately.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-01, 01:21 PM
Every module requires a little bit of tweaking to make it work with your specific group, but yours seems well-matched IMO. The lack of healing resources shouldn't be a big deal, since they'll loot a good quantity of healing items off their enemies. Make sure they can get the healing resources they need if battlefield loot doesn't work out for them for whatever reason -- buying things from the various NPCs in the starting town should work adequately.

Actually, they have got healing resources – the Trumpet Archon. It casts as a cleric of its HD +2. One of the best monster classes for E6, because you get seventh-level cleric casting.

JBarca
2014-10-01, 02:20 PM
The Archon was modified a bit. Its casting was delayed a bit, essentially preventing him from ever having advanced casting. He is, in fact, a bit delayed, to make up for the other goodies.
And yeah, his sword/trumpet is allowed (kinda the point of the race/class; I didn't want to ruin his character), regardless of VoP.

And yeah, I know there'll be modifications regardless, I just wanted to see if there were any huge changes needed based on classes/numbers.