PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Eldritch Disciple question.

D4rkh0rus
2014-10-01, 12:16 PM
when reading the Eldritch Disciple class, I read the Info for Healing blast and said. wait a minute... eldritch essence? and Eldritch glaive is a blast shape? hmm... 2+2 and Glaive that heals for multiple "attacks".

But, After double checking, I am left wondering. Just how long does Healing Blast last? Like, Eldritch Glaive specifies that as a full round action it forms, attacks then stays until the warlocks next turn... but there's nothing on Healing blast.

Do I just assume it only lasts 1 turn? or does it have a specified duration somewhere? or does it stay until removed?)
Could someone explain how this would go about?

Gift of the Divine Patron (Su): At 1st level, you gain a sacred gift of power from your divine patron (who is also the source of your cleric spells and, directly or indirectly, your warlock invocations). Choose one of the following abilities at 1st level, and another ability every three levels thereafter (4th, 7th, and 10th level). You can spend one of your turn/rebuke undead attempts as a swift action to activate the chosen power.

Healing Blast: In place of applying an eldritch essence invocation to your eldritch blast, you can change it into a healing blast. The blast heals living creatures instead of dealing damage to them (the damage healed is equal to the damage normally dealt). Against undead, the healing blast deals damage as normal; against constructs or objects, the healing blast has no effect. Your deity must be non-evil for you to select this gift.

Snowbluff
2014-10-01, 12:17 PM
Power Attack.

Also, as an essence type effect, it lasts one round.

D4rkh0rus
2014-10-01, 12:22 PM
Power Attack.

Also, as an essence type effect, it lasts one round.

So to heal with the glaive I would have to use a swift action and a full round action. meaning that I'd spend an entire turn to heal. ok that makes sense.

Also, what about power attack?

KillianHawkeye
2014-10-01, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I would say that it lasts for the duration of whatever eldritch blast it is applied to. Eldritch glaive is unusual in that it lasts an entire round rather than just for a single attack, but that doesn't change the way eldritch essences work. I don't think anyone would argue that putting fire or acid or whatever onto your eldritch glaive should only apply to your first attack, so neither should this.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-01, 12:25 PM
Healing Blast applies to one Eldritch Blast. Eldritch Glaive is a blast shape that changes the action required to use Eldritch Blast to a full-round action. Thus, Healing Glaive is a full-round healing thingy. Also works with Eldritch Chain, which might be able to get more healing done per use if the damage is distributed among more that two or three people. Considering having the party wizard Haste you, so you can heal the party faster.

Also, this means we can have Healing Hellfire Blasts. Feel the infernal power of POSITIVE ENERGY!

D4rkh0rus
2014-10-01, 12:27 PM
Feel the infernal power of POSITIVE ENERGY!

Permission to sig this? X D too good.

KillianHawkeye
2014-10-01, 12:30 PM
Also, this means we can have Healing Hellfire Blasts. Feel the infernal power of POSITIVE ENERGY!

LOL, nice! :smallbiggrin:

Although personally, I'm in the camp that thinks Hellfire Blast should act as an eldritch essence invocation. I know it doesn't actually SAY that, but I believe that's what it was meant to be, so in my games this wouldn't work (since you're limited to only one essence and one blast shape at a time).

Snowbluff
2014-10-01, 12:43 PM
Also, what about power attack?
Power Attack your friends. They'll love you for it.

D4rkh0rus
2014-10-01, 12:58 PM
Power Attack your friends. They'll love you for it.

So you're saying that power attack would also translate to healing with the glaive?

KillianHawkeye
2014-10-01, 01:01 PM
So you're saying that power attack would also translate to healing with the glaive?

Sure! You can PA with the Eldritch Glaive, and using the Healing Blast essence converts all the damage into healing, ergo you can Power Healing Glaive.

Rebel7284
2014-10-01, 01:18 PM
It's heavily debated whether or not you're allowed to Power Attack with the Eldrich Glaive. While it's described as "Glaive Shaped", the rules are not clear if it actually becomes a weapon. Several signs point to "no".

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-01, 01:22 PM
Permission to sig this? X D too good.

Go right ahead! :smallbiggrin:

Yes indeed. If you have BAB +5, PA for all five of it. Suddenly each hit is healing 10 more damage than it would be otherwise.

Snowbluff
2014-10-01, 02:06 PM
It's heavily debated whether or not you're allowed to Power Attack with the Eldrich Glaive. While it's described as "Glaive Shaped", the rules are not clear if it actually becomes a weapon. Several signs point to "no".

It doesn't have to be a weapon to power attack with it. It says all attack rolls and with all melee damage rolls.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-01, 02:15 PM
It doesn't have to be a weapon to power attack with it. It says all attack rolls and with all melee damage rolls.

Exactly. You can use Precise Shot with vanilla Eldritch Blast, so why can't you use Power Attack with a melee version?

nedz
2014-10-01, 05:48 PM
Don't forget to have your friends provoke attacks of opportunity too. You do have Combat Reflexes don't you ? The more Dex you have, the more you can heal :smalltongue:

Snowbluff
2014-10-01, 05:51 PM
Don't forget to have your friends provoke attacks of opportunity too. You do have Combat Reflexes don't you ? The more Dex you have, the more you can heal :smalltongue:

They'll love you for hitting them with standstill active...

Marlowe
2014-10-01, 05:54 PM
You'd have to be hostile to your friends for them to provoke...

So you just play your character as a massive Tsundere. Oh dear.

Snowbluff
2014-10-01, 05:56 PM

So you just play your character as a massive Tsundere. Oh dear.
That's a terrible idea! BAKA! :smallfurious: It's not like I agree with you anything. >///<

Marlowe
2014-10-01, 06:06 PM
That's a terrible idea! BAKA! :smallfurious: It's not like I agree with you anything. >///<

It's worse!

Have you looked at the Greyhawk gods available for an Eldritch Disciple to worship? Assuming you don't want to be Evil.

Corellion Whatsisname, the Elf dude. Probably not if you're not an Elf.

Kord, god of Sweaty Compedition. Doesn't seem too Warlocky.

Lirr, CG Goddess of Art and Literature, depicted as a teenage girl carrying a picture book.

Procan, CN God of the Sea.

The last two choices seem most likely, which means you're either worshipping the god of pirates or the goddess of doujinshi..:smalleek:

Snowbluff
2014-10-01, 06:32 PM
I supposed Lirr with tsundere disciples. If you're Neutral, go with kuudere. Evil parties should have yandere warlocks.

Marlowe
2014-10-01, 06:37 PM
Me: OK. I've got my next character concept. I'm going to be a Chaotic Neutral Kuudere Pirate Chick who heals her allies by hitting them with otherworldly energies in combat...oh, and can I take Dynamic Priest?

DM: What have you been smoking? No?

Me: OK. So then I'll be a Chaotic Good Tsundere Yaoi Fangirl who heals her allies by hitting them-

DM: What was that first one again?

Ellowryn
2014-10-01, 06:55 PM
Yes but you are going to have very low AC wearing a sailor uniform instead of armor.

Oh and this is the second thread you have infected with this, how many more before you are satisfied!? How many more until it is too late?!?

Marlowe
2014-10-01, 07:02 PM
Actually, the one time I carried through with these threats I had my character compose WeeJas/Lolth BDSM femmeslash (WJDom) instead. Hope that makes you feel better.

This was probably a bad context in which to use the phrase "Sailor Uniform".

Blackhawk748
2014-10-01, 07:32 PM
Me: OK. I've got my next character concept. I'm going to be a Chaotic Neutral Kuudere Pirate Chick who heals her allies by hitting them with otherworldly energies in combat...oh, and can I take Dynamic Priest?

Me: OK. So then I'll be a Chaotic Good Tsundere Yaoi Fangirl who heals her allies by hitting them-

http://i.imgur.com/6WiapWd.gif

nedz
2014-10-01, 08:13 PM

Where's it say that ?

Attacks Of Opportunity
Sometimes a combatant in a melee lets her guard down. In this case, combatants near her can take advantage of her lapse in defense to attack her for free. These free attacks are called attacks of opportunity.

Two kinds of actions can provoke attacks of opportunity: moving out of a threatened square and performing an action within a threatened square.

They just have to be in melee, and then do something to provoke you.

Taveena
2014-10-01, 08:18 PM
The solution is always Gloryborn armor. Always.

D4rkh0rus
2014-10-01, 08:34 PM
Question, If an ally (or enemy for that matter) provokes an AoO with Eldritch glaive, Do I get 1 attack with it? or the full amount (based on my BaB)?

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-01, 08:48 PM
Question, If an ally (or enemy for that matter) provokes an AoO with Eldritch glaive, Do I get 1 attack with it? or the full amount (based on my BaB)?

Can you even make AoOs with Eldritch Glaive? It's a full-round action to use it, after all.

Taveena
2014-10-01, 08:52 PM
It lasts until your next turn and threatens as a reach weapon, so yes.

D4rkh0rus
2014-10-01, 08:54 PM
Can you even make AoOs with Eldritch Glaive? It's a full-round action to use it, after all.

(Blast Shape) Your eldritch blast takes on physical substance, appearing similar to a glaive. As a full-round action, you can make a single melee touch attack as if wielding a reach weapon. If you hit, your target is affected as if struck by your eldritch blast (including any eldritch essence applied to the blast). Unlike hideous blow, you cannot combine your eldritch glaive with damage from a held weapon.

Furthermore, until the start of your next turn, you also threaten nearby squares as if wielding a reach weapon, and you can make attacks of opportunity with your eldritch glaive. These are melee touch attacks.

I would think that yes, one does get AoO. What I don't know is if, say, I had BaB of 11, and someone entered my area. Would I get 1 slash with my glaive or would I get 3?

Snowbluff
2014-10-01, 09:01 PM
Where's it say that ?

They just have to be in melee, and then do something to provoke you.
Threatened Squares says enemy, but I agree that this text is missing from the relevant rule. :smallsmile:

Can we all agree this is what a warlock is? I think I might add this to the handbook...

Mhm. It says you threaten with it.

EDIT: Shadowlocked. Also, it's one attack without Knockdown imp trip stuff.

Necroticplague
2014-10-01, 09:07 PM
I don't thin healing blast+hellfire blast works. Healing blast activates instead of an eldritch essence for an eldritch blast. However, the Hellfire Blast ability turns it into a Hellfire Blast, so its no longer an Eldritch Blast, and thus doesn't qualify for healing blast being applied to it.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-01, 09:20 PM
EDIT: Shadowlocked. Also, it's one attack without Knockdown imp trip stuff.

Oooh! Be a Knockdown Triplock, and Healing Blast all of your allies on your turn and on theirs.

D4rkh0rus
2014-10-01, 09:39 PM
Oooh! Be a Knockdown Triplock, and Healing Blast all of your allies on your turn and on theirs.

Now Introducing... The Hellfire Healer! just stock up on nightsticks and you'll never have to worry about anything at all!

Big Evil boss monster beating up your Tank? No problem! Just whack 'em a few times with your glowy stick and all's better.

The rest of your wimpy non healer party is getting poked to death? No problem! Just chain your Eldritch blast and MachinegunHeal them all!

Need even more healing?! No problem! With a small investment in feats you gain the ability to heal others when they so much as pass by you.

Why try and act like the ubercharger? When you can be That Heavy's Medic. Supercharging till the DM throws books at you!

99 out of every 100 Random encounters Ate oranges. and it was not K.

Buy now!

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-01, 09:41 PM
Now Introducing... The Hellfire Healer! just stock up on nightsticks and you'll never have to worry about anything at all!

Also, the only thing you need to do to turn it into a normal reach-tripper build is to not use Healing Blast that turn.

...I want to play this now.

malonkey1
2014-10-02, 06:28 AM
I don't thin healing blast+hellfire blast works. Healing blast activates instead of an eldritch essence for an eldritch blast. However, the Hellfire Blast ability turns it into a Hellfire Blast, so its no longer an Eldritch Blast, and thus doesn't qualify for healing blast being applied to it.

But a hellfire blast is still a type if eldritch blast. I mean, a square is still a rectangle, here.

Now, can we see about getting Sneak Attack applied to this healing hellfire glaive?

nedz
2014-10-02, 06:36 AM
Now, can we see about getting Sneak Attack applied to this healing hellfire glaive?

You just need to flank your friends :smallwink:

Taveena
2014-10-02, 07:03 AM
You just need to flank your friends :smallwink:
Craven helps here. <_<

Necroticplague
2014-10-02, 07:42 AM
But a hellfire blast is still a type if eldritch blast. I mean, a square is still a rectangle, here.

Where's it say that? It specifically says the eldritch blast changes into a hellfire blast, setting them up as two different objects, and never stating one is a subset of the other.

Blackhawk748
2014-10-02, 04:37 PM
Where's it say that? It specifically says the eldritch blast changes into a hellfire blast, setting them up as two different objects, and never stating one is a subset of the other.

GET YOUr LOGIC OUT OF OUR FUN!!!!

And if you wait long enough take one level of Swordsage and take Assassins Stance, congrats with that and two feats you qualify for Daggerspell Mage, full casting and full sneak attack.

Now stealthily heal your friends!

D4rkh0rus
2014-10-02, 04:56 PM
GET YOUr LOGIC OUT OF OUR FUN!!!!

Since the Questions I asked in this thread have all been answered, I can safely say...

I second that notion.

Snowbluff
2014-10-02, 05:01 PM

I would say you apply healing blast first (it's an essence, so you are doing it just like any other essence), then hellfire, then all of the total damage is converted into healing. You choose the order of the benefits

Necroticplague
2014-10-02, 05:22 PM
I would say you apply healing blast first (it's an essence, so you are doing it just like any other essence), then hellfire, then all of the total damage is converted into healing. You choose the order of the benefits

Actually, healing blast isn't an eldritch essence (its something you can turn it into instead of applying an eldritch essence), but that's rather irrelevant.

And if you go that route, it still doesn't work for pretty much the same reason. Healing Blast turns the Eldritch Blast into a Healing Blast, while Hellfire Blast says it turns an Eldritch Blast into a Hellfire blast. Since the Healing Blast isn't an Eldritch Blast, you can't apply Hellfire Blast to it. This case is further stregnthened in the 3rd sentence of healing blast, where is refers to the "healing blast", and not "the eldritch blast [empowered by/modified using/effected by] Healing Blast", thus solidifying that they are separate things.