PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Starvation Aura and Ring of Sustenance interaction

Nibbens
2014-10-01, 01:26 PM
Ran into a situation last night during my game. My players were approaching a Gashadokuro (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary4/gashadokuro.html#gashadokuro) which creates a magical starvation aura. It doesn't specifically say what happens if you eat something while a PC is in the Aura, but I would assume that it has no affect and each turn he would continue to take the damage.

However, a PC of mine brings up a good point - what happens when the nourishment is continuous, such as if a player has a Ring of Sustenance? I thought I would ask the hive-mind.

Any ideas?

Psyren
2014-10-01, 01:28 PM
It's a DM call but I'd say the ring protects you. It would be a very specific defense to that kind of attack.

Nibbens
2014-10-01, 01:51 PM
It's a DM call but I'd say the ring protects you. It would be a very specific defense to that kind of attack.

Yeah, very very specific. lol.

Spore
2014-10-01, 02:01 PM
This is the kind of dilemma best covered in quotes done by playing children:

"I hit you!"
"Did not."
"Did too."

Still it's a CR 13 monster with a lot of other ways to hurt the party. I'd allow the ring. The decision would be different if the creature was entirely dependant on the aura in offense and defense. But it can bite your head off, it can grapple you and has a nasty breath weapon and a swallow attack.

atemu1234
2014-10-01, 08:19 PM
I'd say no, but I'm a jerk that way. In-game, since starvation has basically no use, this is starvation in name only.

Necroticplague
2014-10-01, 08:46 PM
Technically, the Ring has no interaction with this ability. You still are effected by it, and you still don't heal till you actually eat something. Because it doesn't explicitly make you immune to this, it doesn't (or working from the other end, since it doesn't specifically say that the ring protects you, it doesn't). As for how that works? The same way the ring does: its magical (well, supernatural), I aint gotta explain crap.

Dyllan
2014-10-01, 09:19 PM
How I'd play it as the DM...

Turn to the player who's been wearing a ring of sustenance for ages...

"As the monster approaches, suddenly you're... hungry. You had almost forgotten what hunger felt like, it's been so long."

No negative effects... he's just hungry. Basically the two effects cancel each other out... while he watches his allies without rings starve to death.

Nibbens
2014-10-02, 10:09 AM
How I'd play it as the DM...

Turn to the player who's been wearing a ring of sustenance for ages...

"As the monster approaches, suddenly you're... hungry. You had almost forgotten what hunger felt like, it's been so long."

No negative effects... he's just hungry. Basically the two effects cancel each other out... while he watches his allies without rings starve to death.

I like this idea, but there isn't one character wearing a ring of sustenance. The party crafter is going to make a bunch of them and dish them out to PC's and NPCs who are going to be fighting it.

I don't mind him burning the time and resources to do it, I just want to make sure that I have an adequate effect for his effort. lol. ... And I do mean "adequate" in quotation marks. lol. If his attempts fail or succeed, it doesn't matter - I just want to get this right. And the consensus seems to be falling on "DM's" choice. Meh.

Spore
2014-10-02, 10:27 AM
A DM could always let the dice decide then. DC 24 Starvation Aura vs. CL 5 ring (most likely casting stat 13 (+1) plus 3rd level slot (+3) = +4). By this notion you'd need to roll a 20 to circumvent the aura by concentrating on the ring.

LTwerewolf
2014-10-02, 10:38 AM
I like this idea, but there isn't one character wearing a ring of sustenance. The party crafter is going to make a bunch of them and dish them out to PC's and NPCs who are going to be fighting it.

I don't mind him burning the time and resources to do it, I just want to make sure that I have an adequate effect for his effort. lol. ... And I do mean "adequate" in quotation marks. lol. If his attempts fail or succeed, it doesn't matter - I just want to get this right. And the consensus seems to be falling on "DM's" choice. Meh.

I'd let it happen. I mean if they're spending their time doing this as opposed to other ways they could break the encounter let them. It's a pretty niche defense that really won't come up ever again.