PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Racial Fighting Styles

GreatDane
2014-10-01, 04:14 PM
Hello, Playground. I'm working on an adventure in which I want to emphasize the differences in training and technique of different races. For example, dwarves might make use of vision-manipulating tactics (since they are the only core race other than half-orcs with darkvision) to outmaneuver enemies, while elves strive to gain a head-on advantage, and halflings employ guerilla, hit-and run tactics. Fluff-wise, these are functional ideas, but how can I make enemies with distinctive crunch? I want the PCs to be able to clearly identify (and perhaps predict) the tactics and methods of their enemies based on race. If dwarves form up and bull rush, elves should be mobile and use feats like Vexing Flanker.

Crunch-tastic stuff I've already found includes:

The dwarven fighter racial substitution levels in Races of Stone - d12 hit die and axe focus mean hard-to-kill enemies with big crits.
Luck feats, especially Dallah Thaun's Luck, which I'd like to reserve for halflings.
Dwarf wizards can be runesmiths or earth wu jen.
Elf wizards can use all kinds of spells (and have the advantages offered by the elven generalist wizard racial substitution levels).
Elf encounters might always be backed up by/include ranged combatants with relevant feats.
Gnomes can take Titan Fighting to get surprisingly (for the PCs) high ACs.

TL;DR: What feats, ACFs, etc. exist/do you recommend for making unique the way each of the core races fight?