PDA

View Full Version : Does the Giant?

JetTheOne
2007-03-14, 02:01 PM
After being on this forum for only a few days, a big question that I've had in my mind is...

"Does the Giant roll dice?"

I'm sure you're all aware by what I mean rolling dice, but I believe there could be very valid arguements on either side. Maybe the Giant himself will take time to answer this little pixie's question... (wishes do come true ya know...)

JackofAllBlades
2007-03-14, 02:50 PM
If you are reffering to real dice rolling for combats, skill checks and such I think it is very unlikely that Mr.Giant is doing that.It would be interesting to see what happens with dice rolling though,like Elan succesfully inspiring troops:smallbiggrin:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-03-14, 02:53 PM
Uh, I certainly think not. Anything that happens in the comic, happens for humor or plot reasons, not based on the roll of a polyhedron. If you want fiction that's played out in a true D&D combat system, well, I can't say for sure, but you hear it a lot about the later Dragonlance novels.

Seriously, randomly determining the way the story goes would just be idiotic.

Greebo
2007-03-14, 02:56 PM
Roll dice? I don't think so. He seems to play by the rules as far as abilities and combat, but he rigs the dice for the storyline he wants.

He did a detailed breakdown on the forums once, of the fight between Miko and the OOTS where they ended up in chains, to show that it was a valid outcome w/in game rules.

battleburn
2007-03-14, 02:59 PM
He also specifically stated that he would never post charactersheets of the OotS. So he can continue the storyline without having to fear rule nazis to critisise the story based on those statistics.

atteSmythe
2007-03-14, 03:59 PM
It's important to keep in mind that the comic is based on D&D campaigns in general - it's not a graphical adaptation of a real, running campaign.

Like most fiction - fake, but believable.

Eva
2007-03-14, 04:18 PM
Ha. I never before connected the famous comments on God rolling dice with D&D, but that makes for an interesting connection.

JetTheOne
2007-03-14, 04:44 PM
Ah, thanks people. I wasn't looking to criticize or anything, just curious.

TARINunit9
2007-03-14, 05:58 PM
Maybe for some stuff, like to see if an enemy lives or is slain, but important or mentioned die rolls are not.

r2e
2007-03-14, 07:44 PM
Seriously, randomly determining the way the story goes would just be idiotic.

You do know that Rich is now laughing at you as he rolls his dice to decide the outcome of the battle, don't you? :smallwink:

AKA_Bait
2007-03-15, 09:53 AM
Roll dice? I don't think so. He seems to play by the rules as far as abilities and combat, but he rigs the dice for the storyline he wants.

He did a detailed breakdown on the forums once, of the fight between Miko and the OOTS where they ended up in chains, to show that it was a valid outcome w/in game rules.

Can you link that? I'm curious to see it.

Angafirith
2007-03-15, 10:06 AM
I'm pretty sure that he just fudges the dice rolls for the sake of story or humour: "I GOT A 4. DID YOU HEAR ME? I GOT --" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0090.html). I quoted that from memory.

Ha. I never before connected the famous comments on God rolling dice with D&D, but that makes for an interesting connection.

I, for one, believe that God uses 1d42 for most things.

Grey Watcher
2007-03-15, 11:25 AM
Hehe, I can just see it now:

Roy: Haley, shoot Nale now!

[dialogue happens]

Haley: OK, OK, fine! Just to shut you up so we can die in peace!

Haley fires, rolls a 19 and misses.

Haley: See, I told you I couldn't make that shot! You never listen to me!

Nale and company escape, the Order is killed, and Xykon opens the gate eventually. The end.

Silverlocke980
2007-03-15, 12:11 PM
As funny as that would be, I can't think he would really do that. Story before dice!

It's like humor over continuity from 8-bit theater, but D&D style!