PDA

View Full Version : What if Your Manifester Level is Lower than your Power Point Total?

Rubik
2014-10-01, 10:52 PM
-Let's say you're a fighter/psychic warrior
-With the feat Practiced Manifester
-Or an epic psion with a high augmentation cap
-Without enough instances of Improved Manifestation to cover the gap
-Between your ML and your PP-age
-Is there a quick and dirty way to breach the bridge?

Crake
2014-10-01, 10:57 PM
Let's say you're a psychic warrior/fighter with Practiced Manifester, or an epic psion without enough instances of Improved Manifestation to cover the difference between your ML and your PP total.

Is there a quick and dirty way to bridge the gap, to ensure you can hit your augmentation cap?

Did you mean if your power point total was less than your manifester level? If you have at least +2 to your manifesting ability, you will get a number of bonus power points equal to your manifester level anyway... and you need at least 14 if you're planning on manifesting 4th level powers.

Rubik
2014-10-01, 11:00 PM
Did you mean if your power point total was less than your manifester level? If you have at least +2 to your manifesting ability, you will get a number of bonus power points equal to your manifester level anyway... and you need at least 14 if you're planning on manifesting 4th level powers.I probably shouldn't have edited my first post.

Well, I was wondering primarily because I have a level ~3,000 build with psion 20 and Supernatural Transformation (Psionics) that boosts my ML up to my HD. I hadn't calculated my pp yet, so I figured I wouldn't be quite high enough to reach that limit.

Divide by Zero
2014-10-01, 11:02 PM
From http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/index.htm

Your key ability score grants you additional power points equal to your key ability modifier × your manifester level ×½.
So assuming your key ability modifier is at least +2, you will always have at least as many PP as your manifester level.

Rubik
2014-10-01, 11:07 PM
Considering my Int score is well over 11,000, I think it's safe to say that, yes. Yes, I do have that much.

But are there other ways of boosting one's pp by rather large amounts, aside from Improved Manifestation (which is badly named) or Wild/Hidden Talent?

Of course, there're also cost reducers such as the torc of power preservation, Earth Power, Midnight Augmentation, Metapower, and wild surge, I suppose.

shaikujin
2014-10-02, 08:59 PM
Seeing that you have 3000~ HD, suggestions in order of questionability:

1) Psion uses Int to determine extra PP. Psywar (and Ardent) uses Wis. If your Wis is also around 10k, taking 1 level of Psywar on top of your Psion levels would dbl your PP pool total

2) Mindfeeder WSA (there are 2 versions between the SRD and MIC or 1 of the 3 Psionic handbooks/complete
Gain temp PP based on Crit damage done

3) Depending on how similar Psionics is to Magic in your campaign, might be a way to use Illumian to change primary stat for Psionics to Str, then combine Fester Anger

4) Extremely questionable - Take Improved Manifestation with all spare feats, So you get +19, +21...+51. DCFS away all except the first one (which always give only +19 by RAW) and last one that gives +51. Take Improved manifestation again, since the last one gave +51, the next time you take the feat, it should give +53, and the next +55 etc. Repeat until the last one gives +10,001. DCFS all of them away except the last one that gives +10,001 PP. Use the recycled feats on other stuff.
Note: I haven't thought this through completely, it's just an idea.

AmberVael
2014-10-02, 10:14 PM
From http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/index.htm

So assuming your key ability modifier is at least +2, you will always have at least as many PP as your manifester level.

This actually isn't correct. Not only do your base power points stop increasing, but your bonus power points stop increasing after level 20 too. Its clarified that you can still gain more bonus power points from increasing your ability modifier... but your manifester level is effectively never going to be beyond 20 for this purpose.

No Epic Bonus Power Progression
Epic psionic characters do not gain additional bonus power points above 20th. They may still gain more power points as their key ability score increases.
Link. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/psionicClassProgressions.htm) The more in depth description is in the XPH, pages 32-33.

As for other ways to get power points... Azure Talent shenanigans? By the time you hit 3000 HD, your essentia capacity has to be massive. The Incarnum Apotheosis would let you treat it as filled, if you need a quick way to fill it.

Also, if you have loads of money (and I mean, if you are at 3000 HD money should be no object) and are either 1) A warforged or 2) Can find some other way to install warforged components, you could potentially use Psychic Generators (Magic of Eberron, page 126). 2,500 gold, slotless, each grants a single power point. Kinda expensive for a single point, but hey if you have massive amounts of gold (or ways to basically get infinite gold...)

Jeff the Green
2014-10-02, 11:11 PM
As for other ways to get power points... Azure Talent shenanigans? By the time you hit 3000 HD, your essentia capacity has to be massive. The Incarnum Apotheosis would let you treat it as filled, if you need a quick way to fill it.

Around 300, actually. The formula for epic essentia capacity is (level/10)+1, but round up instead of down like normal.

2) Can find some other way to install warforged components

A DC 25 UMD check will do it, even if it probably shouldn't.

Chronos
2014-10-03, 08:42 AM
At level 3000, you can probably also afford to just take all ten levels of Renegade Mastermaker.

But what's the point of level 3000?

RolkFlameraven
2014-10-03, 10:53 AM
Leadership/thrallherd and Metaconcert could up your PP pool quite a bit.

Also this might be the only time that taking all ten/any levels of metamind could come in handy. Font of power with a ML that high = super win I would think.

Rubik
2014-10-03, 06:56 PM
Also this might be the only time that taking all ten/any levels of metamind could come in handy. Font of power with a ML that high = super win I would think.Metamind is win in epic, but not before. Though I'd rather just take levels in illithid savant.

And, FYI, Font of Power + repeating trap of Temporal Reiteration is your friend.