PDA

View Full Version : Optimization What you suggest for this wlock? +ability or feat?

Kerilstrasz
2014-10-02, 02:49 AM
For a lock that is built around damage with a flavor of social skills and a pinch of utility..

what would you suggest? Keep bumping cha or get a feat or 2?

If you would go for a feat, which one?

Keep in mind, we go for damage 1st and if nothing else we can do about it then we consider utility and social.

Here's my previous post about that warlock's built (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?369994-My-1st-5e-character-(LvL1-Lock)-Step-in-take-a-look-leave-your-comment)

Thank you for your time :smallwink:

Strill
2014-10-02, 03:30 AM
Spell Sniper could let you learn Shocking Grasp from the Sorcerer list, which would give you something to use if you're caught in melee range. It would also potentially let you use Eldritch Blast from incredibly long ranges, which would either be amazingly awesome or totally useless depending on the DM. Also, you probably should've grabbed Shocking Grasp with your Tome cantrips anyway, if you were going to do that.

Tough and Lucky are great for everyone.

Defensive Duelist can be useful for you since you don't have anything to use your reaction for. When an enemy rolls and successfully hits you, you use your reaction to retroactively add your proficiency bonus to AC, blocking the attack. Probably not the biggest priority for a Warlock, and generally more useful on high-AC characters, but useful nonetheless.

Other than that, I don't see any feats that would be particularly relevant to you, so go ahead and take the +2 CHA.

D-naras
2014-10-02, 05:33 AM
I would pump charisma to 20 first. You get plenty of utility by being a tome warlock and having access to every ritual in the game. Charisma will help you both offensively, provided you pick agonizing blast as soon as possible, as well as offer scores of utility by making you the party face.

Hydra98
2014-10-02, 06:52 AM
Depending on the dm tome can be very useful or not.
The cantrips are good but not woth because you would have to search for each of the rituals and pay 50gold for each one.
Chain is good if you get the quasit, an invisable scout is very useful.

Intercessor
2014-10-02, 05:18 PM
I would take the Cha bonus for the EB damage, and if you haven't chosen a Pact yet, do Blade if you're often forced into melee, otherwise Chain should have the best in combat use.

Strill
2014-10-02, 05:41 PM
I would take the Cha bonus for the EB damage, and if you haven't chosen a Pact yet, do Blade if you're often forced into melee, otherwise Chain should have the best in combat use.

There's literally no reason to use blade. If you're forced into melee, take Tome and pick up Shocking Grasp from Sorcerer. Or just use Eldritch Blast and hope one of your beams hits and knocks them back via Repelling Blast. With equal resource expenditure, Blade Pact will always be inferior to Eldritch Blast.

Intercessor
2014-10-03, 01:53 PM
I agree that Blade is objectively the worst right now, I'm just saying that it's niche benefit is being able to do opportunity attacks and NOT have to make Con saving throws when fighting in melee, which can be a legitimate concern.

They wanted to know the best IN COMBAT Pact, and so I gave the answer my reasonings were this: Tome has wonderful out of combat versatility, but at most it gets some cantrips for combat that will be worse than EB. Blade has the limited benefits I mention above, and Chain nets you (depending on DM) an invisible flanking buddy, someone to keep Hex going on between combats (which is something my DM suggested I do, so I assume it's RAW [we're 3.5/3.pf mostly]) and much more importantly Voice of the Chain Master at high levels.