PDA

View Full Version : Making a Totemist with a Homebrewed Race

atemu1234
2014-10-02, 07:23 AM
I'm trying to make a totemist. This is my first time playing a character in a campaign with Incarnum. The Totemist's race is a Gaeabound Aurae (see the link in my sig), so what should I do for a good build?

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-02, 08:35 AM
Well, the way to play a Totemist is to pile on the natural attacks, then proceed to kick ass. Also, don't forget unarmed strikes; taking advantage of those iteratives means three for attacks.

Feats:
1st: Improved Unarmed Strike
3rd: Multiattack
6th: Bonus Essentia
9th: Double Chakra (Totem)
12th: Superior Unarmed Strike
15th: Shape Soulmeld (Thunderstep Boots)
18th: Expanded Soulmeld Capacity

As for soulmelds? Go nuts. Experiment. You can change your arrangement every day, so it doesn't matter if you self-gimp early on. Eventually you'll figure it out, though.

However, a few gems:
Girallon Arms: 4 natural attacks when bound to totem
Sphinx Claws: Pounce with natural attacks (unarmed strikes are natural weapons, yo) when bound to hands
Blink Shirt: At-will, move-action teleportation when bound to totem
Basilisk Mask: At-will flesh to stone, duration one round (hint: have another PC sunder them) when bound to totem
Wormtail Belt: 2+Essentia natural armor, plus (when bound to to totem) a tail attack with Strength-damage poison
Landshark Boots: when bound to totem, gain two claws (not sure if they overlap with or stack with Girallon arms), plus two more claw attacks on a charge (from your feet, so they stack for sure)
Manticore Belt: fire one spine/essentia for 1d6+(Str/2) damage each, range increment 30 feet, when bound to totem
Totem Avatar: when this one is bound to shoulders, all of your natural weapons deal damage as if one size larger

Some other soulmelds from the Incarnate and Soulborn lists that would be good:
Spellward Shirt (Incarnate): Gain SR equal to 5+(4*essentia) when shaped; this is better on an incarnate (who, by taking Expanded Soulmeld Capacity, can max its essentia at seven for SR 33), but still worth pointing out

Thunderstep Boots (Soulborn): Take this soulmeld. You deal an extra 1d4/essentia sonic damage on each attack made at the end of a charge; with sphinx claws you can easily be getting 10 attacks on a charge. With four essentia invested... yeah. It adds up fast. Take this soulmeld. Also, when bound to feet, targets you hit have to save vs. stun. The DC won't be super high, but they're making ten saving throws. That's a 1 in 2 theoretical chance of them rolling a natural 1 and auto-failing. Did I mention that you should take this soulmeld?

Wacky89
2014-10-02, 08:40 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?287304-danzibr-s-Totemist-Handbook