Level: Drd 4
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: Permanent (D); see text
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

Calling upon the inevitability that all natural things must die, you mark a being for death. Nature itself slowly draws away their life force, dealing 1d4 points of permanent damage every day. This damage has no set type, does not heal naturally and can only be healed by a spell of 5th level or higher with a successful opposed caster level check. This does not negate the spell, and the next day they take damage again.

Oddly enough, the being is filled with manic high spirits, and gains a +2 morale bonus on all attack rolls, saves, and skill checks.

Fae can only be removed with a Limited Wish, Wish, Miracle, or similarly high-leveled spell. Damage from multiple castings do not stack.

-=-=-=-

Collected Favor
Conjuration
Level: Bard 4, Clr 5, Sorc/Wiz 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: See Text
Target: See Text
Duration: 1 day/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You may call back any amount of ability points or hit points from a target equal to the amount they received from a spell cast by you within the duration of this spell. This is a free action that can be used once per round. The target loses the amount taken back by the caster, though it may not render the target's hit points to 0 or less, nor ability scores below 1. Hit points exceeding your total are temporary and only last for 24 hours. The target regains these hit points and ability points normally.

This spell works across any distance, though not across planar boundaries.

Maglor_Grubb
2007-03-14, 02:30 PM
What kind of action is taking back the points?

JackofAllBlades
2007-03-14, 03:16 PM
Although i liked the idea behind fae very much i think it is highly powered for a 4th level spell,especially the removal techniques.

Icewalker
2007-03-14, 03:25 PM
I like it. I think Fae is too good for a 4th level spell although if you follow the rules in the PHB with buying spell services from a cleric somewhere, it might be ok, but I usually restrict that in some ways. I suggest at least throwing in a rare or expensive material component. also I'm not sure I understand collected favor. you can take back buffs you have given to someone and put them back on yourself? If that's it it sounds a little weak for a 4-5 level spell.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-03-14, 03:49 PM
What kind of action is taking back the points?
Free action I'd think.

Although i liked the idea behind fae very much i think it is highly powered for a 4th level spell,especially the removal techniques.
Well, except it is the same level as Phantasmal Killer. Which, well, kills you. Immediately. This one takes a very long time and you can ward it off. Mainly its a spell for assassin-type druids or one to strike fear into someone.

Also, it gives bonuses for the entire duration. All in all it seems less powerful than Phantasmal Killer

also I'm not sure I understand collected favor. you can take back buffs you have given to someone and put them back on yourself? If that's it it sounds a little weak for a 4-5 level spell.
Not only buffs, but any spell that restored stats lower than they were normally.

Think of it this way, you can go and restore folks for 4-5 days at lowest level... and then in one go call back everything you gave them for one massive burst for that day. I personally thought it might be too overpowered.

JackofAllBlades
2007-03-14, 04:49 PM
Phantasmal killer is an arcane spell.(It also gives two saves,and may be turned up on you on on some condition as far as i remember) If you look through druid spells of 4th level there isnt equivalent of this i think.

And by overpowered i meant removal process.You may well increase damage and reduce the level of required cure spells.

But these are my humble thoughts, nothing more...

Inyssius Tor
2007-03-14, 05:08 PM
[never mind, I see the point of the things I was going to change] that sounds like an awesome piece of flavor for a "priest of balance" character. Do you let him heal you, knowing that he can take back what he's given?

Can Fae be dismissed? I don't think so, but it seems possible (in which case it should be edited to make it not possible).

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-03-14, 05:33 PM
Phantasmal killer is an arcane spell.(It also gives two saves,and may be turned up on you on on some condition as far as i remember) If you look through druid spells of 4th level there isnt equivalent of this i think.
Yup... kind of what made me think to write this one up.

And by overpowered i meant removal process.You may well increase damage and reduce the level of required cure spells.Well, I'm wanting to go for a spell thats not so easily cured that you just cast a spell. This is like a slow, inexorable curse that can only be kept at bay. You don't neccessarily have to die, but you have to actually make an effort.

just thought it kind of all balanced out.

Can Fae be dismissed? I don't think so, but it seems possible (in which case it should be edited to make it not possible).
See the little (D) by the Duration? That means its dispellable.

Grug
2007-03-14, 05:39 PM
If you want to balance Fae, just make it weak to an equal or higher level Remove Curse. Problem solved. The spell shouldn't allow a saving throw because then a fighter could negate it 9 times out of ten and get the bonuses without any drawback.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-03-14, 05:51 PM
If you want to balance Fae, just make it weak to an equal or higher level Remove Curse. Problem solved. The spell shouldn't allow a saving throw because then a fighter could negate it 9 times out of ten and get the bonuses without any drawback.
Fortitude negates the entire spell, not just the damage. So if you get the bonuses you are already taking damage.

Fizban
2007-03-14, 06:42 PM
See the little (D) by the Duration? That means its dismissable.
I figure that's what you meant.

Looks good.

Demented
2007-03-14, 06:42 PM
Fae seems more like a flavorful buff spell than a curse.

As for Collected Favor, would it be necessary to introduce limits to boosting your own ability scores? Extra hitpoints are temporary, but extra ability points?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-03-15, 10:11 AM
Fae seems more like a flavorful buff spell than a curse.
Even with the whole 'inevitable' death bit?

As for Collected Favor, would it be necessary to introduce limits to boosting your own ability scores? Extra hitpoints are temporary, but extra ability points?*nods*

I'm thinking of how to adjust it.

Inyssius Tor
2007-03-15, 11:34 AM
"Inevitable" ... unless the caster dismisses it, of course.

Calver
2007-03-15, 12:20 PM
At 1d4 points per day, I don't think that Fae is too horrible. You figure that if you let it go for a week, that averages out to 14 hitpoints. If you can get 5th level healing spells, than you might as well forget about it all together and accept the bonuses. A heightened Cure Moderate wounds will get rid of a week's worth easily. So, sacrifice a 1 spell slot once a week if a D8 or higher character gets it (or a character with a high constitution) and you're not too bad off. Given the choice, I'd take this over a Phantasmal killer any day. And it's a touch spell!

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-15, 03:16 PM
Perhaps add Fae to the Assasin spell-list. They have fourth level spells as well as some that aren't on the Wizard spell list like Heart Ripper (a Wu Jen spell).