PDA

View Full Version : Flanking in 5e

MadGrady
2014-10-02, 12:32 PM
Let me start off by saying that I know "flanking" (as I know it from Pathfinder and earlier editions) doesn't truly exist in this edition, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that having an ally within 5ft of the same enemy as you grants advantage.

Is this true? I can't find the ruling in the book (either it doesn't exist or I'm just completely blind).

Thanks all!

Ramshack
2014-10-02, 12:53 PM
The only rule that comes to mind is having an ally in 5' square of an enemy allows grants the rogue sneak attack against that enemy.

There are also traits like pack tactics that grant advantage on attacks how you described.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2014-10-02, 01:03 PM
The rogue sneak attack requires either advantage or a nearby ally to trigger. The flanking is a substitute for advantage, but it doesn't grant it.

Separately, a ally can use the help action to grant advantage on an attack roll. From the PHB, p. 192:
"Alternatively, you can aid a friendly creature in
attacking a creature within 5 feet of you. You feint,
distract the target, or in some other way team up to
make your ally’s attack more effective. If your ally
attacks the target before your next turn, the first attack
roll is made with advantage."

MadGrady
2014-10-02, 01:14 PM
Great, that's what I needed to know!

Thanks guys!

Perhaps I'll just houserule "flanking" :smallsmile:

badintel
2014-10-02, 01:22 PM
having an ally within 5ft of the same enemy as you grants advantage.

I'm away from book right now so I could be wrong, but if I recall correctly anyone that is within 5' of a raging barbarian gets advantage on their attack rolls. Not quite flanking all the time, more situational, but still useful! :smallsmile:

Theodoxus
2014-10-02, 01:26 PM
Take care with how you houserule it. My DM in the one game I've played, likewise thought granting advantage for flanking would be a good idea. Long story short, it wasn't. It made melee way overpowered without any of the disadvantages drawbacks that, say, knocking prone creates.

After 1 fight, where my fighter was knocked out in one round by three skeletons, due to flanking advantage, it was taken off the table.

The other thing you'll need to consider (imo) is how to deal with the condensed OA triggers. Flanking's no longer really needed, as you can swarm an opponent with no fear of OAs - either closing in on something with reach, or dancing around it trying to gain a better position.

5th Ed simplified a lot of the combat tactics, while providing more strategic consideration (imo, again). Bringing back a 3rd Ed-esque Flanking bonus necessitates likewise bringing back 3rd Ed-esque AoO triggers - which I've found hampers the flow of combat for little value added.

YMMV of course, but I just wanted to make sure you understood the potential Pandora's Box you'd be opening by tweaking one aspect of the inherent balance currently present.

If you do happen to come up with a working houserule though, I'm all ears :)

GWJ_DanyBoy
2014-10-02, 01:28 PM
I'm away from book right now so I could be wrong, but if I recall correctly anyone that is within 5' of a raging barbarian gets advantage on their attack rolls. Not quite flanking all the time, more situational, but still useful! :smallsmile:

Good call. Part of the wolf totem.
"Wolf, While you're raging, your friends have
advantage on melee attack rolls against any creature
within 5 feet of you that is hostile to you. The spirit of
the wolf makes you a leader of hunters."

Demonic Spoon
2014-10-02, 01:34 PM
movement rules unfortunately make flanking trivial - there's no AOO or anything for moving around to the back of your target. Any flanking rules would need to fix that issue to work well.

Demonicattorney
2014-10-02, 04:07 PM
No need for a ton of rules. If a character is surrounded on three or more sides than give advantage to the attackers. That way the person will take atleast one attack of opportunity extricating themselves from the flank, if surrounded on 4 sides it will be two (if they can escape at all).