PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice on a Rogue/Druid build

The_Blue_Sorceress
2007-03-14, 02:35 PM
I'm putting together a one-on-one game for my fiancee, and I plan on running him through the low-level adventure in the April '07 dungeon magazine that I just recieved in the mail. Becuase he's going to be the only player, and I don't really feel like adjusting all the encounters to fix the CR, I'm going to have him play a gestalt character and run an NPC companion for him. For this purpose I'm reviving an old concept I had for a female halfing druid/rogue with a wolf for an animal companion. I'm thinking in the direction of sword-and-board for melee fighting for her, with the sword being a scimitar, and a shortbow for ranged, but at low levels (the adventure is designed for four third-level PCs) I'm filling in both the heal-bot and skill-monkey roles for this two-person party, and I need some help working things out so that I don't cheat my fiancee out of a useful NPC companion.

The stats I rolled up were, after racial adjustments:

STR 13; DEX 20; CON 14; INT 17 WIS 18 CHA 15.

She's not a melee character by any means at this point, but if the game goes past a few sessions, she's going to pick up more melee skills, and even at this point I need to be able hold my own in a melee in order to use my sneak attack to its best advantage.

Can anyone out there help me build this character up to be all kinds handy, but not so handy as to steal the PC's thunder?

-Blue

Matthew
2007-03-14, 09:33 PM
Well, the Attributes seem kind of high...

The_Blue_Sorceress
2007-03-14, 09:38 PM
I roll high. It's a gift when I'm a player and a curse when I DM, unless I fudge a lot of dice rolls to help the players out. I'm anticipating a PC with high stats as well though, so that should balance out just fine.

-Blue

Dhavaer
2007-03-14, 09:57 PM
If you drop the sword and board idea, those look like awesome abilities for a Daggerspell Shaper.

The_Blue_Sorceress
2007-03-14, 10:13 PM
That might work. TWF was part of the original build idea waaaaay back when anyway, but I'd tossed it once I got out of my "TWF OMG!" phase.

-Blue

Matthew
2007-03-15, 04:57 PM
So, what is the target level? Is the Halfling Druid/Rogue going to be riding her Animal Companion?

Illiterate Scribe
2007-03-15, 05:44 PM
If you can get Fochluan Lyrist, that's a pretty amazing Rogue/Druid/Bard build.

The_Blue_Sorceress
2007-03-15, 10:46 PM
So, what is the target level? Is the Halfling Druid/Rogue going to be riding her Animal Companion?

She will probably ride the wolf animal companion whenever possible, so I'm definitely planning some ranks in ride. Things are going to get started at around level three and progress from there until everyone's had enough.

If you can get Fochluan Lyrist, that's a pretty amazing Rogue/Druid/Bard build.

Dipping into Bard isn't so much what I'm looking for in the case of this particular NPC. I don't know if this game is going to go long enough for things to get to a high enough level for PrCs to be an issue anyway, and if they do, I wonder sometimes if sticking with a straight gestalt Rogue/Druid wouldn't be better anyway. It would certainly make my bookkeeping a little easier.

-Blue

Matthew
2007-03-16, 06:22 PM
Hmmnn. The main problem I forsee with this Non Player Character is that her Attributes are so high she is likely to outshine the Player Character regardless. I would be inclined to rearrange her Attributes a little, swapping Dexterity with Intelligence to gain maximum Skill Points with minimal losses.

Halfling Druid/Rogue 3
Strength 13, Dexterity 19, Constitution 14, Intelligence 18, Wisdom 18, Charisma 15,
Feats: Mounted Combat, [-],
Skills: Listen 6(10), Spot 6(10), Search 6(10), Knowledge (Nature) 6(10), Survival 6(10), Spell Craft 6(10), Heal 6(10), Handle Animal 6(8), Hide 6(10), Sneak 6(10), Open Lock 6(10), Disable Device 6(10),
Equipment: Studded Leather Armour, Shield, Scimitar, Dagger,

Something like that, I would think?

Foolster41
2007-03-16, 10:37 PM
EDIT: Sorry, posted in wrong topic.

The_Blue_Sorceress
2007-03-17, 04:57 AM
Hmmnn. The main problem I forsee with this Non Player Character is that her Attributes are so high she is likely to outshine the Player Character regardless. I would be inclined to rearrange her Attributes a little, swapping Dexterity with Intelligence to gain maximum Skill Points with minimal losses.

Halfling Druid/Rogue 3
Strength 13, Dexterity 19, Constitution 14, Intelligence 18, Wisdom 18, Charisma 15,
Feats: Mounted Combat, [-],
Skills: Listen 6(10), Spot 6(10), Search 6(10), Knowledge (Nature) 6(10), Survival 6(10), Spell Craft 6(10), Heal 6(10), Handle Animal 6(8), Hide 6(10), Sneak 6(10), Open Lock 6(10), Disable Device 6(10),
Equipment: Studded Leather Armour, Shield, Scimitar, Dagger,

Something like that, I would think?

Looks good! Thanks bunches!

-Blue

Crueldespot
2007-03-17, 09:28 PM
If I were you, I would strongly consider nerfing your NPC down. There's no rule that says you can't reduce the stats you role. Since this adventure is for the benefit of your player, the player's character should definitely be the best one in the group. Consider what the DMG says on page 46

"PCs as spectators: In this kind of bad adventure, NPCs accomplish all of the important tasks. There might be an interesting story going on, but it's going on around the PCs, and they have little to do with it. As much as you might like one of your NPCs, resist the urge to have him or her accomplish everything instead of letting the PCs do the work. As great as it might be to have your big NPC hero fight the evil wizard (also an NPC) threatening the land, its not much fun for the players if all they get to do is watch."

My favorite character type is the halfling druid/rogue dog-rider. (S)he has the skills to benefit any group, and being mounted on a dog (or wolf ) eliminates most of the penalties associated with being size small. For a multiclassed rogue/druid, I recommend favoring druid and just dipping into rogue for a few levels, then keeping search and disable device maxed as crossclass skills when advancing as a druid. Of course, if you are doing the gestalt thing then I guess that is moot.

I would not use the daggerspell shaper PrC. Your animal companion/mount will not improve under that PrC, and it is critical to a rogue dog/wolf rider. Let your wolf do the melee fighting (if you have to get into a melee fight) while you cast spells. Take the mounted combat feat and beef up your ride skill to keep the wolf from getting hurt too badly in combat.

But again, I think you should let the Player take all the glory, and your NPC should be the humble assistant that just unlocks and disarms the doors for him and keeps him well fed with goodberries. This is your fiancee after all, so don't forget you are supposed to wait until after the wedding before you reveal that you are in total control!