PDA

View Full Version : Computer Dawngate I: Lizard Wizard Edition

Duos
2014-10-02, 01:33 PM
Dawngate I: Lizard Wizard Edition

Welcome! Dawngate is a MOBA developed by Waystone Games, a company owned by EA. It's currently in open beta and the community is teensy-tiny compared to games like Dota and LoL, but it's growing. You can check it out and download the client here (https://www.dawngate.com/).

What makes Dawngate different? Well, for starters, you can play any character (called a shaper) in almost any role. There's no set meta (yet) and Waystone is looking to make sure it stays that way every patch. Also, the lore is extremely intertwined with the gameplay-many shapers have unique interactions and voice lines when they meet each other, and the community votes often to determine where the story of Dawngate goes, often resulting in unique skins or changing the path of the Dawngate Chronicles, the tri-weekly comic about the game.

Plus, Salous is voiced by a guy who makes him sound like James Earl Jones.

The game currently has an NA server, and a EU server that's open for most of the day but shuts down in the evenings since it's in beta. Thankfully, there's cross-server matchmaking, so you'll never be unable to find a match.

Post your preferred server and your in-game name in bold the thread to have it added to the OP! Playgrounders love to stick together.

NA

Forum Name
In-Game Name

Duos
DoctorDapper

EU

Forum Name
In-Game Name

Maryring
Skilvrel

Duos
2014-10-20, 09:10 PM
New shaper soon!

Lillin, the Old Guard (http://www.moba-champion.com/news/572) got spoiled today; she should be patched in soon. She's the Divinity shaper, apparently. Looks pretty cool.

Maryring
2014-10-21, 05:08 AM
You did not emphasize the lore enough.

But then, it's pretty much impossible to emphasize the lore enough when it comes to Dawngate. Dandelion is an excellent writer, and the voice actors they've hired for the audio lore pieces do a great job. I'm not too much a fan of Salous' audio lore (even though his voice is <3), but Sakari, Freia and especially Mina have excellent audio lores that send a chill down my spine. Oh, and Moya. Moya's audio lore's fraught with emotion. And I always get a chuckle out of Raina's audio lore and... y'know what? Just download the game and grant yourself an evening where you just listening to that audio lore. It is well worth it.

Anyway, I'm Skilvrel and I sometimes hang out on the European servers (though haven't had time to play much as of late). I tend to play Moya in the Jungle, and Zalgus, Mikella or Vex in lane.

Duos
2014-10-21, 11:26 AM
Alright, Maryring, I added you to the OP. Good to see that I'm not actually the only person who plays!

And, yes, I don't think it's possible to emphasize the lore enough. It's so deep; I keep looking through the Chronicles and finding little bits hidden in the background; it's delicious.

Maryring
2014-10-21, 11:30 AM
The game really needs more players, but as far as MOBAs go, I enjoy it. It might not have all the champs of LoL, and it lacks some "nice stuff TM" like a refund button. But the two-lane system with a huge jungle is a lot of fun, and the fact that they actually put focus on the lore, rather than pay lip service to it like they do with LoL, is a huge part of why I love the game.

Duos
2014-10-22, 04:28 PM
So apparently new ghost horse rock wizard lady is incredibly, perfectly balanced.

Or not. She can just delete somebody every time her ult comes up because of the ludicrous amounts of bonus damage and penetration she gets. I'm waiting for the nerfs to hit because nobody should be able to instagib a full-build tank with one rotation.

Maryring
2014-10-23, 04:51 AM
Waystone is good at many things.

Shapers balanced right out of the bag is not one of them. :smalltongue:

Duos
2014-11-05, 12:31 PM
Dawngate is kill.

RIP in peace Dawngate. ;_;7

This makes me sad. I was really enjoying the game, and it felt fresh and exciting. I loved the lore and how Waystone wove it into the game.

For those who don't know, EA decided to pull the plug on Dawngate. Servers are going to go down in 90 days and the game will be gone forever. If you were ever curious about the game, now's the time to try it. If you like it, and think it'd be shame to let it die, you can sign this petition here (https://www.change.org/p/electronic-arts-please-continue-development-of-dawngate) to help convince EA to let the game live.

Razade
2014-11-05, 12:39 PM
None of this surprises me really. For one it's EA who are the Fox of killing off multi-player games when they don't make them enough money even if they're actually doing alright. Two, the community in Dawngate was toxic at least from when myself and a good deal of my friends/youtubers experienced. Instead of offering help the player base demanded I either just quit the game or watch streams before attempting to play. I get that's part of the MOBA experience but DOTA2 and LoL I found, even if it was still a toxic community, were generally nicer. Then of course on the third point they were against LoL and DOTA 2. They really never had a chance.

Nadevoc
2014-11-05, 01:05 PM
I can't say I'm too surprised.

I tried Dawngate like two weeks ago. Did two bot games first. They had a few kind of nice ideas, but overall it felt like just another MOBA highly lacking in polish. Yeah, I understand it was still beta or whatever, but it still felt lacking. Kinda empty feeling.

Then I queued for an actual match, hoping that having other players would be better, and that's where it went really wrong. 45 minutes in queue on a Saturday night and still no game. I gave up and uninstalled.

Duos
2014-11-05, 05:42 PM
Razade: That surprises me, since I've played a lot of LoL and a bit of DotA and both communities were much more hostile in my opinion.

Nadevoc: Ah; there's a bug that occurs sometimes that will drop you out of queue and the timer will keep going. The general thing I've heard is that if your queue gets longer than like 9 minutes, just re-queue. Also, unpolished? I'd be interested to hear that explained more; I felt that Dawngate was fairly complex; the characters are all pretty rich and fleshed out and the only thing I can think of that I don't like is that there's occasionally some pathing issues.

Maryring
2014-11-06, 05:00 AM
Perhaps Razade checked the forums? They got pretty bad towards the end before they were taken down. The reddit community was far more positive I found. And I saw *far* more in-game toxic behaviour in LoL than I did in Dawngate by far.