PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 3.5 Resurrecting a Ghost

jordan.k93
2014-10-02, 03:27 PM
Just looking for confirmation or more, rules to back up plot.

I'm deliberately being vague and nonspecific just encase some of my party stumbles in here.

So, there's a high level wizard, around 15th level wizard, so has access to 8th level spells.

He wants to resurrect someone, who is currently a ghost.

What spells would he need in order to make this happen?

Use whatever you can to explore methods of keeping this ghost undead, and explore the idea of raising her to life.

(3.5 not 3.P)

Segev
2014-10-02, 04:11 PM
Polymorph Any Object would work, since it can be cast on an object and thus the undead immunity to things which offer fortitude saves but cannot be cast on objects will not apply. PAO lasts for an absolute minimum of 20 min., and change the type of the target for the duration. I don't think you can claim it's the same kingdom (ghosts are not animal, vegetable, or mineral, while humanoids are definitely animal), so you can't get it up to Permanent duration.

Nevertheless, while its type is not undead, it is not immune to effects which offer fortitude saves. Hit it with Baleful Polymorph; this has a permanent duration.

Now, sure, it's a chihuahua with the mind thereof, but now it's a valid target for Awaken (cast via Limited Wish) to raise its intelligence back up. Polymorph Any Object now will be same kingdom (animal), same class (mammal), and (if you weren't unlucky) same or lower intelligence. Permanent!

It is outside of a Wizard's power to bring back the dead without a Wish, otherwise. At least, not without extensive pre-demise preparation (e.g. from Clone).

As for preventing said resurrection... Stay out of range of the spells, find ways to be immune to PAO... the ghost could kill itself once it is PAO'd into something other than a ghost; the spell will wear off, and then it will be a ghost and discorporate, and its ability to restore itself after a time will kick in.

Silva Stormrage
2014-10-02, 06:17 PM
It is outside of a Wizard's power to bring back the dead without a Wish, otherwise. At least, not without extensive pre-demise preparation (e.g. from Clone).

No comment on the rest of your post but you can just planar bind a ghaele for resurrection. Or another outsider with raise dead/resurrection.

Segev
2014-10-03, 01:09 PM
No comment on the rest of your post but you can just planar bind a ghaele for resurrection. Or another outsider with raise dead/resurrection.

Good point; I forgot about Planar Binding shenanigans. My mistake.

Silva Stormrage
2014-10-03, 01:27 PM
Good point; I forgot about Planar Binding shenanigans. My mistake.

Usually the statement "It is beyond a wizard's power to do X" is wrong. They are kinda insane :smalltongue:

jordan.k93
2014-10-03, 01:34 PM
I suppose the least bullsh** way of doing it, would be to slay the ghost, and use "Wish" twice to create a body and revive it... but that's 9th level with massive XP cost etc.