PDA

View Full Version : Player Help No More Monk-eying Around

Ghost Nappa
2014-10-02, 04:09 PM
We're Level 1.

Party Information:

High Elf Warlock - Noble - The Great Old One
Tiefling Warlock - Charlatan - The Archfey
Dragonborn Paladin - Guild Artisan (Smith) - (Likely going to pick Oath of Devotion)
Wood Elf Cleric - Acolyte - Knowledge Domain

I'm the party's Wood Elf Monk (Acolyte). My class path doesn't come up until Level 3, but I don't totally know what I want to do when that time comes.

I originally wanted to do Way of the 4 Elements because The Last Airbender feel to it was cool, but I also want to be useful and in a party of two warlocks, I'm not sure anyone else is going to be needed to nova.

I don't really understand some of the benefits of the Way of the Open Hand. Open Hand Technique is certainly good, but I don't understand Tranquility's modification of "Sanctuary." I don't know if it'll even come up (I don't think we'll get to Level 11) but still, I don't actually know how this works. Does it mean that people who fail a Will Save can't target you unless you get ambushed while resting?

Way of Shadow doesn't really mix well with who my character is...for now. That being said, our group is very much missing the fast agile, scout role and both Shadow Arts and Shadow Step are VERY cool features (even the unnecessary Darkvision can occasionally be given to the Paladin) that no one else is really in a position to get or do.

I basically don't know whether or not the melee benefits of Open Hand Technique are better or worse than a couple of Stealth-Powers on a character that is already perfectly capable of going either way (I did pick Stealth as a class skill).

JRutterbush
2014-10-02, 04:20 PM
Does it mean that people who fail a Will Save can't target you unless you get ambushed while resting?Basically, yes... at least until you attack for the first time that day. Remember, attacking ends the sanctuary spell. So basically the Tranquility feature just gives you the ability to avoid attacks up until the first time you attack back.

Symphony
2014-10-02, 04:44 PM
Monks in general make good scouts, because their main stats (dexterity, wisdom) are perfectly placed for Stealth and Perception. While Shadow Monks do get Pass Without Trace for +10 to Stealth for the whole party, an Open Hand or Four Elements Monk can still do a good job, especially with at least one level in Rogue for Expertise in both skills.

(Even if you didn't take the Stealth skill, one level of Rogue gets you a skill from their list, in addition to Thieves tools.)

Thomar_of_Uointer
2014-10-02, 05:23 PM
Stealth it up and go shadow monk. Your party could pull off some legendary ambushes if you worked together.

Shadow
2014-10-02, 05:37 PM
Not only are you missing a scout, but you're also missing a real trapper. Changing to thief or urchin background and going shadow knocks both of those out.

Ghost Nappa
2014-10-02, 09:51 PM
Not only are you missing a scout, but you're also missing a real trapper. Changing to thief or urchin background and going shadow knocks both of those out.

Backgrounds are a bit set I'm afraid. We've already started and I'm pretty set in my backstory. But we might eventually get a sixth member, so it's something to keep in mind.

@All: Thanks for confirming my gut-feeling guys.

Shadow
2014-10-02, 11:46 PM
Backgrounds are a bit set I'm afraid. We've already started and I'm pretty set in my backstory. But we might eventually get a sixth member, so it's something to keep in mind.

What's the general story, if you don't mind?
The designers have stated that backgrounds are easily tailored and mix & matched. If your God is the Trickery/Thievery/whatever god, for example, skill in thieves' tools and one language (instead of two languages) would absolutely be appropriate.
Even if that wouldn't be appropriate, you could say you spent your time there posted with the quartermaster (or whatever) and learned all about locks from him, granting thieves' tools that way.
Basically, you can trade out anything from your background from anything else in any other background pretty much freely. The ones listed are more guidelines than they are the only choices availabe.

Ghost Nappa
2014-10-04, 09:56 AM
What's the general story, if you don't mind?
The designers have stated that backgrounds are easily tailored and mix & matched. If your God is the Trickery/Thievery/whatever god, for example, skill in thieves' tools and one language (instead of two languages) would absolutely be appropriate.
Even if that wouldn't be appropriate, you could say you spent your time there posted with the quartermaster (or whatever) and learned all about locks from him, granting thieves' tools that way.
Basically, you can trade out anything from your background from anything else in any other background pretty much freely. The ones listed are more guidelines than they are the only choices availabe.

My character was orphaned and abandoned as an infant and was taken in by a small temple in the Forest. Prior to the beginning of the first session, she knew maybe 11 people total - all of whom - she had known since the beginning of her memory. She began training under her best friend/sister/mother figure and joined part of a religious pilgrimage program with the major cities to the south and west. Her main duties were cooking, performing, and altar serving.

The most popular gods in the Pantheon are Elvish (Elves are the social elite in the campaign) with my character personally worshiping Corellon Larenthian, Rillifant Rallathil, Sehanine Moonbow, Ehlonna, Kord, Phlotus, Rao and Istus.

During one such pilgrimage to the major city to the west, she was drugged, kidnapped, and placed in a slaver's caravan where the party meets up. We have since killed a couple of slavers in self-defense, blew up a wagon with a drug addict, and are currently trying to escape pursuit through the forest.

I'm going to play the Way of Shadow off as a disillusionment with the outside world because she was sheltered and unaware of the darker habits of the culture around her. Her youth and zeal are driving her to a somewhat extreme conclusion.