PDA

View Full Version : I'm difficult with Casters

weckar
2014-10-02, 05:24 PM
For an upcoming game, I need to build a 1st level character. I think I'd like to play a Lawful Neutral character of a not-too-exotic race (mostly going to have it depend on what my class needs, or what it inspires). The class is where my issue starts. I have a decent idea of what I want, but not where I can find it. I generally like to play Casters for their on-the-spot options. In doing so, I also like the persistence that spontaneous casting offers over prepared casting, especially at early levels. My problem is that the sorcerer just feels too generic, while all the others that come to mind come with a fair bit of RP/Role baggage (although, with the whole Heritage thing, this may also apply to the Sorc).
I may be asking for a class that doesn't exist here, but reading this... does anything come to your mind I may have missed?

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-02, 05:34 PM
Spirit Shaman. Or, if you're playing Pathfinder, Arcanist (or see if you can get the Arcanist backported to 3.5). Both spontaneous-prepared casters, in that they change their spells known lists every day. If I ever do get around to playing a full caster, it'll be one of those. Less bookkeeping than a normal prepared caster, but moar spellz.

Amphetryon
2014-10-02, 05:37 PM
In PF, consider an Oracle, as a somewhat amped-up Favored Soul with a variety of flavors available based on focus and curse.

weckar
2014-10-02, 05:41 PM
While I am sort of in love with the PF Oracle, this game will strictly be 3.5.
I had considered the Spirit Shaman, but was worried I might be doing the DM some harm in the form of introducing a 'Spirit World' to their campaign....

Troacctid
2014-10-02, 05:43 PM
There's a spontaneous variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm) for Clerics and Druids; you could ask your DM if those are an option.