PDA

View Full Version : Darts build

SliceandDiceKid
2014-10-02, 09:00 PM
The idea is basically a light foot halfling rogue who uses darts and daggers. I want to go assassin but also want to dip 3 levels of fighter for the increased crit range, action surge, and fighting style. Should I go ranged style or 2WF style for gaining dex to damage on the second dart? I will take 4 rogue before the dip to gain the sharpshooter feat. Any advice?

This is in combination with my cleric using bless.

Strill
2014-10-02, 09:07 PM
Archery style would be much better. It benefits you even if you use your bonus action on Cunning Action, and it synergizes with Sharpshooter.

CyberThread
2014-10-02, 09:21 PM
The idea is basically a light foot halfling rogue who uses darts and daggers. I want to go assassin but also want to dip 3 levels of fighter for the increased crit range, action surge, and fighting style. Should I go ranged style or 2WF style for gaining dex to damage on the second dart? I will take 4 rogue before the dip to gain the sharpshooter feat. Any advice?

This is in combination with my cleric using bless.

What about rangers? Plenty of ranged combat options, and spells to enhance those darts.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-10-02, 09:52 PM
What about rangers? Plenty of ranged combat options, and spells to enhance those darts.

Hey CT, I haven't looked too much at ranger. The action surge and crit range are what grabbed my attention. Any ranger spells you had in mind? I've got my PHB, I just don't want to drudge through them all right now.

Thanks!

DiBastet
2014-10-02, 10:43 PM
I've got a dart-throwing dagger-wielding monk in my group; the char is your (un)friendly local masked thief in black leather and cloak. very effective and cool.

CyberThread
2014-10-03, 12:21 PM
Hey CT, I haven't looked too much at ranger. The action surge and crit range are what grabbed my attention. Any ranger spells you had in mind? I've got my PHB, I just don't want to drudge through them all right now.

Thanks!

Hail of Thorns
Ensnaring Strike

Hunter's Mark
Cordon of Arrows
Lightning Arrow
Conjure Barrage

Swift Quiver
Conjure Volley

Talk to your DM about using the inferior darts and throwing daggers with these items, as your willing downgrading yourself on weapon choice :)

Yes talk to your DM with those exact words.

Argo
2014-10-03, 12:27 PM
Shouldn't you dip 4 levels, instead of 3, to get the Ability Score increase?

SliceandDiceKid
2014-10-03, 12:41 PM
Shouldn't you dip 4 levels, instead of 3, to get the Ability Score increase?

That is dependent on what I roll, but it was taken into consideration. If I go 4, I'm tempted to go 5 for the extra attack.

numerek
2014-10-03, 09:19 PM
Darts are not melee weapons and don't have the light property. So you could have archery and sharpshooter apply to darts, but you can't dual wield darts.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-10-04, 11:17 AM
Darts are not melee weapons and don't have the light property. So you could have archery and sharpshooter apply to darts, but you can't dual wield darts.

Good catch. I had been looking at daggers for a long time, then saw darts were cheaper and I overlooked the lack of the light property.

Totema
2014-10-04, 06:48 PM
Methinks Tavern Brawler would be a delightfully flavorful option for this character. :smallbiggrin:

SliceandDiceKid
2014-10-04, 08:09 PM
Methinks Tavern Brawler would be a delightfully flavorful option for this character. :smallbiggrin:

I was actually considering it. I died last night so I rolled the stats for this dart rogue. I'm going to ask if I can dual wield darts. It makes little sense to me that I can dual wield daggers and throw both, but can't do the same with darts. I'm fine if the request is denied, but it's worth the appeal.