PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dwarf Cleric Help

RedMage125
2014-10-02, 10:22 PM
I recently joined a Pathfinder game, and decided to make a dwarven cleric of Cayden Cailean.

Now, I'm VERY familiar with 3.5e, but Pathfinder's a bit new, so I feel like I'm missing out on some potentially good choices/ideas.

We're doing Rise of the Runelords, and I've joined a group in-progress, so I made a 3rd level character.

15 point buy, but the DM awarded an extra post-racial mods stat point for a good backstory.

Right now my stats are:
STR 14
DEX 10
CON 13
INT 12
WIS 17
CHA 10

Skills:
Diplomacy: 3 ranks
Heal: 3 ranks
Knowledge (religion): 3 ranks
Spellcraft: 3 ranks

Domains: Strength and Travel

I was going to invest in CHA a bit more and take Selective Channeling, but that's investing half my points into a secondary stat to only get to select one creature to not be affected by my Channel Energy ability. Being a dwarf and having the CHA penalty really maes Selective Channeling not an attractive option. The INT boost was really to offset my otherwise pathetic array of skill points. I also took skill ranks as my favored class option.

For my 3rd level feat, I'm taking Craft Wonderous Item. I think it will be good in the long run, and it let me buy some of my starting gear at half price.

So, where I need help...

I need a level 1 feat, since Selective Channeling won't be that great for me. If I can't find anything else, I'll likely end up taking Improved Initiative.

Also, are there any good Prestige Classes that are full caster for clerics? I love that Pthfinder gave most classes incentive to stay in the class until 20, but I feel like clerics don't get that as much, so a Prestige Class must be a good idea. But in all the books I've looked through, I can't find any good ones that jump out at me.

Any suggestions? Advice on changes to be made are also welcome help.

Dyllan
2014-10-02, 10:50 PM
There really aren't many good prestige classes in Pathfinder. For the most part, the role of the Prestige Class has been replaced by the Archetype. Most of the Cleric Archetypes stink though... Theologian is good, if you're willing to give up a domain.

I strongly suggest Combat Casting for a feat - concentration is harder to optimize in Pathfinder, and Combat Casting is one of the few ways to do it.

Sayt
2014-10-02, 11:27 PM
Your Skill points are incorrect. You don't get x4 skill ranks at first level in Pathfinder, so you only get 3 skills, but the class skills you put points into get a +3. (I think you've done the 3.5 skills thing, a 3.5 cleric with 13 int would get 12 ranks)

grarrrg
2014-10-02, 11:34 PM
There really aren't many good prestige classes in Pathfinder. For the most part, the role of the Prestige Class has been replaced by the Archetype.

I agree with you for the most part.
But the Cleric is one of the more "prestige friendly" classes in that it really doesn't have much for features to lose. Especially if you don't care about the Channeling.

But most of the prestige options are more "flavorful" than "powerful". Not that they are weak, they just don't tend to offer a lot.

With your stats, you'd be looking for a more "caster" PrC. The following lose (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?230500-Pathfinder-Dipping-for-Fun-and-Profit-%28mostly-Profit%29&p=12613046&viewfull=1#post12613046) no casting:
Dawnflower Dissident, 3/4 Bab, 10/10 Casting
Diabolist, 1/2 Bab, 10/10 Casting
Divine Scion, 3/4 Bab, 10/10 Casting
Envoy of Balance, 1/2 Bab, 10/10 Casting
Exalted, 3/4 Bab, 10/10 Casting
Genie Binder, 1/2 Bab, 5/5 Casting
Green Faith Acolyte, 3/4 Bab, 10/10 Casting
Harrower, 1/2 Bab, 10/10 Casting
Hellknight Signifier, 3/4 Bab, 10/10 Casting
Inheritor's Crusader, Full Bab, 3/3 Casting (Cleric/Paladin only)
Loremaster, 1/2 Bab, 10/10 Casting
Spherewalker, 3/4 Bab, 5/5 Casting
Veiled Illusionist, 1/2 Bab, 10/10 Casting

I like Hell Knight Signifier (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/hellknight-signifer), because you gain a couple goodies, and it stacks for Domain Powers.

RedMage125
2014-10-02, 11:53 PM
Your Skill points are incorrect. You don't get x4 skill ranks at first level in Pathfinder, so you only get 3 skills, but the class skills you put points into get a +3. (I think you've done the 3.5 skills thing, a 3.5 cleric with 13 int would get 12 ranks)
Incorrect, my skills are fine.

2+INT mod as per cleric, and one extra skill point per level since cleric is my favored class. Since I am level 3, that's 4 skills with 3 ranks each.

Sayt
2014-10-03, 01:35 AM
Ah! Apologies, I missed that you were third level.

avr
2014-10-03, 04:43 AM
Note that Veiled Illusionist is for clerics of Sivanah and Spherewalker for clerics of Desna. Obviously a cleric of Cayden Cailean isn't going to qualify for a bunch of the other PrCs grarrrg listed either, being one of the good guys, or Hellknight Signifer since he won't be lawful.

With those stats I'm guessing you're planning more of a caster cleric than an occasional melee guy. Toppling Spell works nicely with Spiritual Weapon/Ally if that's so. Improved Initiative really is a good level 1 feat though.

duboisjf
2014-10-03, 07:14 AM
Why put ranks in heal ?
As a cleric you'll get spell to do that stuff if needed.

And look for the variant channeling option http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/variant-channeling

There is the Bravery one that is a good option and flavorful with your god. In short, you trade 50% of your healing but add another effect to your channeling.

RedMage125
2014-12-28, 06:27 PM
So, sorry for the thread necromancy, but it's my thread and I need a little more help.

My DM, after perusing the book further, has decided to disallow Inner Sea Gods, so the Prestige classes of Evangelist and Exalted are out.

Since I was going for Exalted, i'm going to have to retrain some feats (he's letting me do so automatically, since he had initially said it was okay). I've just hit 6th level and haven't levelled up yet, but I need a new feat for my 5ht level feat (current feats are Combat Casting and Craft Wonderous, in addition to Deific Obedience, but I had already been planning to retrain the crafting feat, and now I need to retrain the other one).

Any other prestige classes (or feat selections) for a cleric of Cayden Cailean?