PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed DM for new players

LTwerewolf
2014-10-02, 11:39 PM
I've been a dm for experienced players, but never for new ones. We're playing 3.5, but as time goes on we're going to introduce a few new rules bits at a time so as to not overwhelm the new players. The first thing we're going to do is the sunless citadel module, with the slight difference that it's going to be a collective nightmare (in case any of the characters die, being forgiving) which will turn into a plot hook for the first big bad they're going to go after.

So on to the question: not having dmed for new players, what is a good way to ease them into the rules? Would it be better to be more liberal with the treasure, or a little more stringent? I'll have a group of 5 in my group, 2 of which are vets, but the other 3 are new.

Mirakk
2014-10-03, 12:00 AM
Since you have plans for what you want to do with your adventure, some of this may not apply.

What I like to do with new players is start them off at level 2-3, and let them get a feel for the game by starting there. At that point, magic isn't really prevalent, so they will rely more on simple skill checks and tool usage. This gets them acquainted with the idea of making skill checks and tracking inventory. Combat is pretty straightforward at that point as well, and so you can really take your time teaching them about attacks of opportunity, movement rules (Terrain penalties, running/hustling, taking a double move) etc. Another thing I make a point to do is put them in situations where they have to contend with light sources, so they learn about those mechanics, and also things like weather effects (wind, rain etc). I also make a point to do a few encounters with enemies that use invisibility effects, so they get used to the mechanics regarding spot/listen checks, what the bonuses/penalties are, and how to thwart a foe you can't see.

Later in the game, many skills are trivialized by spells, and things quickly become very fast moving for beginners. If they haven't gotten a chance to really learn how basic mechanics work, they have a hard time adapting to things like contingencies, invisible flying opponents and the like. Just my 2cp.

Rhunder
2014-10-03, 12:10 AM
As I learned, and I did the same when I introduced the game to others, was we had an NPC show us around the new land we just arrived. Half orc, a bit dumb but fun, he sparred with us (attack, damage, non lethal, and lethal, AC, etc.), showed us the ropes(most skills but mainly survival), and so forth. He left us, but we have a contact and a friend for the future.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-03, 12:15 AM
If you do give them items, make them consumables with unique effects. Feather tokens, karma beads, that sort of thing. Then they don't overlap with player abilities, and won't stick around for too long (in case you give them something too powerful).

Crake
2014-10-03, 12:25 AM
If you do give them items, make them consumables with unique effects. Feather tokens, karma beads, that sort of thing. Then they don't overlap with player abilities, and won't stick around for too long (in case you give them something too powerful).

Karma beads are consumable? Since when? Or did you mean daily powers rather than continuous effects?

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-03, 10:19 AM
Karma beads are consumable? Since when? Or did you mean daily powers rather than continuous effects?

Yes, sorry, that was what I meant. (Also misremembered what Karma beads did)

Give them a 1/day item (Figurine of Wondrous Power, maybe), and if it's too powerful it can only steamroll one encounter per day. Not so with a continuous-effect item like an Ioun Stone.

Blackhawk748
2014-10-03, 10:33 AM
Sunless Citadel, good quest, though i recommend not babying them like the quest recommends. So nix the Subdual Damage thing that the goblins do, just have them stop when the PCs are unconscious, and that stupid 50% of them not showing up if they hear combat. Seriously you would be doing your PCs a disservice babying them like this and the encounters arent that hard anyway. On top of that there is no negative for dying in this instance anyway, so they will learn several important lessons. Also what are they playing?

LTwerewolf
2014-10-03, 12:53 PM
Sunless Citadel, good quest, though i recommend not babying them like the quest recommends. So nix the Subdual Damage thing that the goblins do, just have them stop when the PCs are unconscious, and that stupid 50% of them not showing up if they hear combat. Seriously you would be doing your PCs a disservice babying them like this and the encounters arent that hard anyway. On top of that there is no negative for dying in this instance anyway, so they will learn several important lessons. Also what are they playing?

We haven't made their characters yet (first session is the 10th, where we will make characters, talk about what to expect, etc, so I'm not sure what everyone is playing at the moment.

I didn't plan on doing the subdual damage or minimizing the fights, so they can learn that there are consequences to their actions. I'm going to reign in my npc's a little though. My vet players tend to ask me to DM when they want a hyper lethal campaign ala tucker's kobolds or tomb of horrors (though I generally make my own) and that's not really good for new people.

Blackhawk748
2014-10-03, 12:59 PM
We haven't made their characters yet (first session is the 10th, where we will make characters, talk about what to expect, etc, so I'm not sure what everyone is playing at the moment.

I didn't plan on doing the subdual damage or minimizing the fights, so they can learn that there are consequences to their actions. I'm going to reign in my npc's a little though. My vet players tend to ask me to DM when they want a hyper lethal campaign ala tucker's kobolds or tomb of horrors (though I generally make my own) and that's not really good for new people.

Ah good to hear that (about not babying them not the Tuckers Kobolds)