PDA

View Full Version : Quality Service - SotVD

banthesun
2014-10-03, 12:04 AM
"So anyway, apparently Maki was seen coming back from behind the gym with Haru last week!"

"What, that upperclassman who used to be going out with that idol girl from another school?"

"Yeah, and I heard they were seen at the bus stop together too!"

"Ahahaha! Trust her to go for someone like that!"

"I know! I bet you this one won't last the month!"

Kyoko tagged along slightly behind the group, staying silent. She'd gotten on well enough with the four girls in class, but she didn't know any of the people they were talking about. I guess that's just how being the new girl is. At least they'll hang out with me anyway.

"Ah, this is the place! I've heard it's gotten really popular recently, so I thought we should try it out."

The group stopped in front of the sushi bar, as if appraising it, for a few seconds before heading in. Kyoko followed them in, last through the door.

Kioku
2014-10-03, 02:03 AM
"Mixed nigiri order here," Asami calls with a very quiet, yet piercing tone that reaches her co-worker's ear to have him turn and take the plate. Just in time too, as movement catches her eye and she turns with a bright smile to the door, so that it's the first thing that the newcomers see if they look slightly to the left after entering. Apparently, Murakami-san had run some numbers from before and after her hiring, and noticed an increase in repeat business afterward, which only got larger once 'smiling at customers' became part of Asami's job description. Not exactly what I signed up for, but I don't mind being friendly when I would be anyway. Plus I got to kick Katsuro out last week, which was quite the highlight... wait, that's Kyoko! So much for keeping this job secret, she'll be the second one from the dorm to find out... though I suppose half the school has heard already too, that could explain why seven of the 'ideal onee-chan club' were here yesterday...

Asami's smile doesn't waver, and since it's a relatively slow time of the day she moves to greet Kyoko and the latest batch of customers. Ito-san is overworked enough for a waitress position anyway, we can afford to pick up the occasional group. "Greetings and welcome! Please, feel free to pick a table or sit at the bar, and I'll get a form and menu to you." The slightest hint of mischief, easily missed by those who don't know her flashes through Asami's smile when she looks at Kyoko.

banthesun
2014-10-03, 02:33 AM
The girls chose a table and headed towards it, paying little attention to Asami, so when Kyoko lifted her head and saw her she was caught by surprise.

"A-Asami? Why are you-?"

Seeing the look of mischief on Asami's face, Kyoko paused, collected herself, and gave a smile back. It was clear from a moment of though that she worked here, and if she had something in mind then Kyoko would play along. One of the girls turned to question why Kyoko had stopped, so she just gave a blank smile in return and took a seat with the others.

Kioku
2014-10-03, 03:47 AM
They must not recognize me with my hair tied back like this. Excellent. Asami retrieves an order form and menu - more of a few descriptive pages, really - and brings them over to the table, waving off the usual server when she starts to approach. The people at a few other tables look on, perplexed. "Take as much time as you need. Tea will be over shortly." She waits a moment for any questions, then steps away, back behind the bar. "Saito-kun," she whispers to another worker, "you know, part of working here is helping out the servers sometimes since the staff is so small. Want to get some practice?" 'Saito-kun' glances over at the table where Kyoko is seated and gives a small chuckle and a nod.

When the tea comes a few moments later, it's brought by a rather cute teenage boy with the most kind, respectful demeanor one could hope to see in a person. "Hello, I'm Saito Makoto. I'll be here for you if you need anything today."

banthesun
2014-10-03, 04:35 AM
"Well, I hadn't even realised Maki had broken up with her last boyfriend."

"What, the one who looked like a horse?"

"You can't say that!"

"Hahaha, he totally did though! Nah, those two haven't been together since April."

The girls continued gossiping while Asami delivered the menu, though one stopped to give her a curious look, trying to place her face. Kyoko stayed quiet, but once Asami had gone back to the bar, she kept turning her head to see what she was up to.

"Is something going on?" on of the girls asked her, while the others continued their conversation and perused the menu.

"Oh, no, no! I'm fine!" Kyoko quickly replied, turning her attention back to the menu. Ugh, I just have no idea what she's planning...

When the boy came serving tea, the table stopped their conversation to pay attention to him.

"Hello, I'm Saito Makoto. I'll be here for you if you need anything today."

"Ooh, is that an offer, Mr Saito?"

It was a bit of a stretch, but the other girls burst into laughter.

"Reiko, don't tease him!" one replied with a playful push, but the girl just laughed harder in response.

Kioku
2014-10-03, 05:11 AM
The boy blushes a little, not being used to such teasing, and glances back over his shoulder with nervous look before resuming his friendly smile. "A-any service you need, I mean," he manages to reply, not realizing how it sounds or that he's only making things worse for himself. Watching from behind the bar, Asami barely suppresses a giggle at her co-worker's plight. He needs to learn how to deal with these sort of things.

banthesun
2014-10-03, 06:34 AM
"See Junko! He's totally fine with it! Hmhmhm, so, when are you getting off work?"

"Reiko, we need you to stop flirting with him so we can order!"

"But he's pretty cute!"

"Geez, you don't have to slobber over every cute boy who comes up to us!"

This just got a poked out tounge in reply, and the other girls started to place their orders.

"Okay, let's get some tuna nigiri."

"I want to try the tamagoyaki."

"Uh, if we're trying stuff, why don't we get the mixed nigiri?"

"Oh, yeah, let's have that instead."

"Oh, and could I get some inarizushi as well?"

As the waiter was taking their orders, Kyoko glanced back at Asami. Could she just have not wanted to cause a scene?

Kioku
2014-10-03, 07:13 AM
Asami's ears prick and she's started making the orders before they're even delivered to her. "Now I know how you feel," is the first thing that Saito-kun says upon reaching the back again, still hotly blushing from just about everything that Reiko said to him. "I don't know if I'll be able to go back to that table without blushing and stammering again from that one girl... how do you put up with it?" Asami finally does let out a small giggle, handing him the first plate of food made ready by her early start. "Practice. Lots of practice. Of course it probably helps that I'm the flirty type, so if they can dish it out but not take it..." She winks and takes the order form from him, to start on the next thing. "Too bad they didn't sit at the bar. You could end this lesson if you convince them to swap over." "... You're evil. Cunning, manipulative and evil, senpai." "And you'd have it no other way. After all, then this might get boring. Or you might have to learn under someone else." The boy shakes his head slowly, bemused, and brings the plate over. Flirt back as a defense, huh? I don't think I can do that. "Here you go, Kimura-san overheard and had it ready when I brought her the form... let me know if you need another form once everything from the first one is out." He tries to flush the nervousness out of his smile, but doesn't get away fast enough to avoid hearing the reply.

banthesun
2014-10-03, 07:40 AM
"Hey, if they can already hear the orders, why don't you stick here around and chat?"

"Aww, looks like he's too shy!"

"Hahaha, what a shame!"

A few of the girls put on exagerated pouts as he hurries back, while the others start to take their choice of the sushi. Kyoko waits until everyone's had a chance to pick some before picking out a slice of salmon nigiri.

Ooh, it's not bad! So this is Asami's cooking...

Kioku
2014-10-03, 07:56 AM
"Couldn't bear to ask them?" Asami winks and bumps Saito. "Take care of their fried tofu, would you? Another table wants two dragon rolls, and they take a touch longer to make." Asami looks up and smiles to Kyoko specifically, waving her over subtly before starting on what she's to make.

banthesun
2014-10-03, 08:22 AM
Even as the group was eating, Kyoko couldn't help checking what Asami was doing. When she looked again, she saw Asami waving her over. Oh! Uhoh, how am I going to go talk to her without everyone noticing? Uh, I need an excuse, so it doesn't seem odd...

Unfortunately for Kyoko, one of the girls noticed how distracted she was.

"Okay, Kyoko, what is going on? You've been acting odd ever since we came in here!"

"Uh, um, uh, sorry, I need to go to the ladies."

Real smooth, Kyoko... At least they won't want to pay attention as I go...

She quickly slipped over to where Asami was working.

"Hey. What's going on?" she whispered.

Kioku
2014-10-03, 08:29 AM
"What got Saito-kun so flustered? I knew it might have trouble with a table full of girls, but someone made his training in dealing with customers all the more effective!" Asami giggles even as Saito glances over, with a mock appalled look. "Pity that they picked a table over the bar. Anyway, I asked you over there because I wanted to say sorry for keeping where I work a secret. I guess I'll have to tell everyone now since it's spreading around the school anyway."

banthesun
2014-10-03, 08:57 AM
Oh, uh, Reiko was kinda flirting with him." Kyoko couldn't help herself from letting out a tiny giggle. "I'm pretty sure she was teasing. Uh, mostly teasing?"

Kyoko gave a sympathetic look when Asami mentioned them picking a table. She was missing the chance to chat with Asami too.

"Uh, why were you keeping it a secret? I'm sorry if I've ruined something."

Kioku
2014-10-03, 09:21 AM
"It's not that big of a deal anymore. I sort of had this talk with Tsubaki a few weeks ago, when she figured it out. I was worried what everyone would think if I..." Asami glances down and bites her lip, taking up the knife to start slicing an avocado. If I needed a job to be able to 'keep up' with everyone. But there's no shame in working hard, especially when it's something I like doing anyway. I'll probably put the word out when I get back to the dorm, after my shift. Ito arrives at the bar just then to take the first dragon roll, and waits the final twenty seconds while Asami is cutting, laying the 'scales' across the top, and then slicing the roll itself. "Maybe you should point out that Saito can't run away if they're at the bar," she comments with a wink during the knifework. The boy in question blushes again slightly and hurries off to deliver the inarizushi to the girls' table.

banthesun
2014-10-03, 09:42 AM
Ah, I was wondering if her family wasn't so well off. I guess this settles that. But she said there's room for everyone at her family home, so I guess I still don't really know what's going on here.

"Hey, having a part time job is good training, anyway!" It sounded a bit like something a teacher would say, but Kyoko wanted to say something in support of Asami. The idea about talking them into moving to the bar was a good one but-

"Wait, I told them I was-" she stammered as Saito delivered the inarizushi to the table.

"Huh? Kyoko, I thought you said you were going to the toilet? Who's that you're talking to?"

"Wait a moment, isn't that that new Kimura girl?"

"Eep!"

Kioku
2014-10-03, 09:57 AM
Saito surprisingly doesn't take advantage of the distraction to slip away, but rather goes about things at a normal pace as if he doesn't mind the teasing. "Right, sorry, you came here with friends. I shouldn't keep you from them. I can't get my co-worker's number for your friend, sorry, but I can try to convince him." She says the latter part in tones tailored to sound hushed, but still carry well enough to be easily overheard. Asami ducks her head sideways so that Kyoko is occluding her face from her friends' vision, and gives a quick wink. "I hope that gives you an excuse for stopping over here. Don't worry, I can deal with being recognized."

banthesun
2014-10-03, 10:53 AM
"Huh? Oh, ah. Thanks for the save."

Still a little embarrased, Kyoko does try to slip off to the toilet to cool down a little, but the girls were having none of it.

"Did I just hear what I thought I heard? Haha, Kyoko, you know how to help a girl out!"

"Ugh. You really shouldn't be supporting Reiko on stuff like this..."

"Uh, I'm confused, did you recognise her from the start?"

Kyoko couldn't figure out if there was a reason to lie here, so she just went with the honest answer. "Um, yes?"

"So, what, do you know her or something?"

"Yeah, we're at the same dorm." The words were almost automatic, but Kyoko was left wondering why she hadn't just said they were friends.

"Heheh, are you sure you can't give me his number? Or will I just have to get it myself?"

Kioku
2014-10-03, 05:12 PM
Asami bites her lip while preparing the other roll she's working at and listening to the conversation. Is she ashamed of me, or trying to protect me or herself? Poor job of the latter, I've been *very* careful to make sure nobody from the school knows where I live so we won't have to put up with stalkers there... Absently, she finishes up the roll, slices it, and goes to deliver the plate herself, so that she'll be out already to drop off another form at Kyoko's table in case they want more.

banthesun
2014-10-04, 01:33 AM
"She's the one always hanging out with that crazy Kuroki girl, right?"

"Yeah, I've seen them hanging out around that old tree."

"Hahaha, weird! Hey, Kyoko, she isn't crazy too, right?"

The girls were talking quietly, but they weren't overly concerned with being overheard. Kyoko was left feeling flustered from the conversation. That's not a very nice thing to say! I mean, Tsubaki is crazy and all, but that doesn't make it okay to say that!

"Uh, no. She's actually pretty nice..."

Kioku
2014-10-04, 02:17 AM
Ahh, so they know of me by association with someone else? That's different, but I did expect a few pockets of such to come up after Tsubaki declared 'ownership' during that fight. Asami stifles a small giggle as she approaches the table, a wry smile on her face at how the girls will react once they realize she's heard every word. She approaches stealthily and waits next to the table, but just behind one side so that she's only visible to those sitting next to Kyoko.

banthesun
2014-10-04, 08:58 AM
"Well, what I heard is that she's always skipping class. She's probably like some delinquent, and she's working here because she needs money."

"Shhh! She's right there!"

Despite the fact that Asami could clearly overhear them, the girls seemed unconcerned. If she was a delinquent, you'd be in trouble! You can't talk like that when someone can hear you! Despite her misgivings, Kyoko didn't speak up. Instead she just squirmed in her seat, embarrassed that Asami was hearing this.

Kioku
2014-10-04, 04:54 PM
Asami can't help but smirk now. "Oh yes, I'm quite the delinquent. Skipping classes that I've already finished the entire year's work for, being responsible and taking on a job, friends with four fifths of the student body. Clearly I must be scheming some horrible plot to organize a gang of the friendliest and brightest students around to enact nefarious and unlawful deeds." How she manages to keep the deadpan manner to her voice the whole time is a mystery, but the smirk is still the same at the end when she turns to go back to the bar as when she first started speaking.

banthesun
2014-10-05, 12:46 AM
"Eek!"

The girls were split between embarrassed terror and angry scowls, but the girl who'd been badmouthing Asami didn't seem overly concerned. "We didn't order service," she returned bitterly.

Kyoko was just so horrified with the situation she buried her head in her hands. This was rapidly going wrong, but she wasn't able to come up with a way to resolve the problem.

Kioku
2014-10-05, 04:24 AM
Asami just gestures to the order form on the table dismissively, as if to imply "service isn't 'ordered' here, your statement is meaningless." "Wow, are you just going to let them be that rude? We could kick them out you know. Though I'd kind of rather not, a couple of them were nice, and that flirty one is kind of cute..." "It's a major change from how I'm usually treated, so oddly enough I don't mind. It's actually a bit refreshing, plus this is an excellent opportunity to observe how everything unfolds and get some insight into them." She smiles a little at Saito's small blush and muttered words, since it means he's starting to adapt and get the point of this little exercise. With a reassuring wink to Kyoko when nobody else is looking to make sure she understands that things are still good between them, Asami starts preparing more rice.

banthesun
2014-10-05, 06:52 AM
Kyoko felt her heart lift when she saw Asami's wink. Wow, it looks like she's still on top of it! I don't think I could have shrugged that off so easily... Calming down somewhat, Kyoko focused her attention back on the last piece of nigiri, right in time to-

"Too slow!"

-to see it get snatched away by one of the other girls! Aww, the ones I'd had were actually pretty good. Torn between the desire to get away before anything else happened and waiting for a chance to apologise to Asami, good food won out. "Um, I didn't really get much... Uh, would anyone like to order another plate?" she asked.

"Okay, I'd be fine with that."

"Pffff, we're done here. This place isn't that good."

"Hmm, I think it's a good idea. I vote we stay!"

"What, since when was it a vote? And you're only saying that so you can bother that waiter some more!" This was only met with a shrug and a laugh, so she continued "Michiko, what do you say?"

"It's probably best if we leave..."

"Too bad, three versus two, we stay!"

After a bit of scowling in return, the group tried to catch the attention of a server to take their order.

Kioku
2014-10-05, 09:16 AM
Fortunately, Saito is paying attention and has just finished preparing another order, so he goes to pick up the form. He's actually smiling this time - at Reiko, at least - and doesn't try to make a quick escape like before, instead making sure to allow a chance for something to be said, just in case. Please let it include a roll or something I can cut this time... Asami thinks, the movement pulling her attention.

banthesun
2014-10-05, 09:59 AM
We decided we should stay here some more. Good food, cute staff-" she punctuates her statement with a wink. "What's not to like? Just another plate of nigiri, right?" she checks with the table.

"Huh, apparently they do aburi rolls here. I might try one of them."

"Alright, that too. And why don't you take a break and come hang out with us? I don't bite!" She flashed a cheeky grin at Kyoko.

Does she think Asami actually talked him into this? Wait a moment, did she?

Kioku
2014-10-05, 11:02 AM
Saito looks a little flustered again as he nods, takes the order form, and pauses. "I'm... uhh... not sure if I can. I guess we aren't all that busy right now..." The flirting seems to be wearing him down, considering that when he leaves with the form and starts speaking with Asami in hushed tones, he can't help but keep glancing back. Asami, meanwhile, looks at least a little amused at whatever he's telling or asking her.

banthesun
2014-10-05, 10:06 PM
"Wow, I'm surprised he keeps coming back!"

"Hahaha, he's totally falling for me! Told you!"

"Ugh, barf! Let's just finish up here and go..."

Wow, Hikari is being really grumpy now! Hmmm, no one else seems to be paying much attention to her though... Summoning her courage, Kyoko piped up with Asami's earlier suggestion. "Hey, if we move over to the bar, you could talk to Saito while he works

"Aha! Good thinking! You're full of good ideas today, Kyoko!"

Despite some protests, the other girls seemed to be keen to see how Reiko's flirting would wind up, and so the group slipped over to the bar. Kyoko gave Asami a discrete wave to let her know what they were doing, before seating herself at one end of the group, a reasonable distance away from Hikari.

Kioku
2014-10-05, 11:03 PM
Asami smiles and nods, both to Kyoko, and to her co-worker. She winds up preparing the order right in front of her friend, and has - with much barely-suppressed evil laughter (or so Saito would say) - gotten Saito-kun to work right in front of Reiko. "So, your bitter friend seems rather put out..."

banthesun
2014-10-05, 11:23 PM
"Hey, we figured we should come over here, so we could watch you work..."

While the other girls were distracted by either sulking or Reiko's flirting, Kyoko took the chance to talk to Asami.

"Um, she's not, uh-" Kyoko found she couldn't honestly deny what Asami had said about her. "-usually this bad," she finished lamely. "But, uh, sorry for the things she said about you." She looked away and rubbed the back of her neck, ashamed she hadn't stood up for Asami.

Kioku
2014-10-05, 11:46 PM
Asami shrugs. "It's a change of pace, but in the end I don't care what people like her think - ah, sorry, that's your friend I'm talking about. I guess not everyone can get along though. Personally, I try to only worry about what the important ones think." With that, she smiles at Kyoko, twitching her nose at her on the word 'important'. Meanwhile, Saito is steadily weakening before the flirting and becoming more receptive, though he tries not to let it show. You can tell that he's starting to become distracted as he looks up at Reiko more and more often.

banthesun
2014-10-06, 12:38 AM
Kyoko can't stop herself from blushing when Asami calls her important.

"Uh, I, uh, you're much, uh, I prefer, uh-" she slows down, catching herself. "I mean, um, I think you're important too..."

Argh! How can she make it sound so cool when I make it sound so lame? That was soooo embarassing!

Kioku
2014-10-06, 06:51 AM
Asami wiggles on her feet a little, with a coy smile. "Thank you!" She glances over at Saito-kun and Reiko and giggles before, now that the roll she's been working on is ready, takes up the knife and makes it positively dance in her hands. She sets the plate up on the bar and starts on the nigiri, making it look like half food preparation, half performance art. I don't usually use the hontegaeshi method, but it *can* be fun on occasion. She doesn't seem to have read any embarrassment from Kyoko... or if she has, she doesn't mind and is letting the girl sort it out herself.

banthesun
2014-10-06, 07:53 AM
Kyoko followed Asami's gaze over to her flirting friend and the shy waiter and gave a giggle too. She was a bit impressed that Reiko seemed to be having an impression on him. Most people would have stopped Reiko before her teasing became actual flirting; had this guy not experienced stuff like this before?

Turning her attention back to Asami's cooking, Kyoko let her gaze rest on Asami's hands. It was pretty impressive how skillfully she squeezed the nigiri together.

"Asami, where'd you learn to cook like that?" she asked.

Kioku
2014-10-06, 08:24 AM
"It's not so much cooking in general as just sushi. I learned at home, self-taught actually. We always had plenty of rice and fish around, and having a knife in my hands just feels so natural that it's easy to take apart the fish just how I want to. From there it was a natural progression of wanting to have my favorite food without having to go out, I guess. In short, lots of practice. I don't think I could do quite this well with most other things." She looks up at Kyoko, hands not stopping for even a second. "You should see me around something that needs to be cooked more than five or ten minutes with constant attention. I can't do it, my thoughts like to wander off too much and my hands can't do it on their own."

banthesun
2014-10-06, 08:43 AM
"Self taught? No way! Sushi, and sewing?" Can practice alone really do that much? I'm starting to feel a little jealous. Kyoko focuses on her hands, before looking back up at Asami. "Wow, you haven't taught yourself anything else I don't know about yet, right?

Kioku
2014-10-06, 11:03 AM
"I... umm... probably." Asami does look a little sheepish when it's put that way, not seeing what the big deal is. "I mean, going out and learning to do something yourself is the normal way to gain new skills, isn't it? Besides classes I guess, but those have an annoying set pace that's usually too slow... I guess you can see why I skip them sometimes. But I bet you could pick up things just as well, if you wanted to try. You were good at sewing with almost no instruction, after all!"

banthesun
2014-10-06, 11:26 PM
Kyoko rolled her eyes as Asami said she probably had more skills. Haha, Asami, I think most people do learn stuff through classes. Uh, as long as their teachers are good enough that is." She looks bashful for a second. "Thanks for saying I was good at sewing. But you did set up the machine and show me how to use it." She shrugs, "I don't know, it just seems kinda impressive to me."

Kioku
2014-10-07, 08:14 PM
"I'm not that impressive..." Asami mutters, looking back down again. "I bet anyone could do what I do, if they put as much time into it. A few things come easy I guess, but for the most part I feel like it's just effort, not talent." Meanwhile, Saito 'it's okay if you want to call me Makoto' finally falls for the flirting and gives Reiko his number, right before asking her for a date.

banthesun
2014-10-07, 10:32 PM
This time, it's Reiko who falls silent with a blush on her face. For a moment she does nothing blink with surprise while the other girls giggle and cheer, before she snaps back into her normal lively self.

"Ah, excellent! Well, I'm free tomorrow afternoon, if you are! Otherwise, hmm, I'm sure I can organise something!"

Kyoko looks back to Asami, clearly a little surprised. "You didn't, uh, you didn't actually say something to him?" she asks.

Kioku
2014-10-08, 06:28 AM
"I didn't really need to. Few single heterosexual teenage males can withstand having genuine interest showed in them by a cute girl for very long, so really it was only a matter of time if your friend decided to persevere," Asami whispers in reply with a hint of a smirk. "I think the only reason a lot of people don't realize it is because most girls are too shy about that sort of thing to make the first move." The plate of nigiri comes up finished just then in her hands, and she places it on the bar near the middle of the group.

banthesun
2014-10-08, 07:05 AM
"Hehe, I don't know if it was genuine interest at first. Normally she's just brushed off as joking about it. Uh, they look like they're getting on pretty well now though." Kyoko shrugged. "You probably know more about this than I do though, since you're a cute girl yourself." Once again, Kyoko waits until the other girls are done picking out nigiri before picking one up for herself.

Kioku
2014-10-08, 07:40 AM
Asami raises an eyebrow, smirk still very much present. "What, and you think you aren't? Don't make me bring that up again." She winks and looks over Kyoko's head at something, nods, and starts making another roll. "That said though... it's also a matter of being outgoing about it. Flirting is a lot easier without the genuine interest factor, which may be why I can do it without a care. A lot of people can't take non-genuine interest either, come to think of it..." She ponders a moment, then shrugs and goes back to applying rice to the nori.

banthesun
2014-10-08, 08:24 AM
Kyoko squirmed in her seat at the mention of being cute. Wow, I'm almost beginning to think she actually believes it when she says it... "But I'm not..." she gestured to Asami, if she wasn't allowed to say cute, she could really find the words. Beautiful, maybe, but that was a bit too embarrassing to say, "...like you, you know? I guess I'm not outgoing or confident as you either." Kyoko looked down, before brightening up again. "Heheh, I'm sure you must be pretty good at flirting then, though. I'm sure you'd be able to get any guy you like!"

Kioku
2014-10-08, 09:17 AM
"Heh. I wouldn't say that. Plus it would mean there'd have to be one that I'd like to try to get. In fact, the only girl I've really had romantic feelings toward-" Asami's eyes widen and she clamps her mouth shut with a slight blush.

banthesun
2014-10-08, 09:29 AM
Huh? Asami hasn't had romantic feelings for... huh? Kyoko blinked a few times looking confused before clearing her thoughts. "Hehe, whoops! Was that a mistake?"

Maybe it's a little mean to tease Asami when she's looking so embarrassed, but it's not that big a mistake!

Kioku
2014-10-08, 11:19 AM
"I just don't think she'd appreciate being identified." Asami glances up and smiles brightly as another pair of customers walk in. Ito is there a moment later to help them find a table, as Asami and Saito keep working. Well, trying to work while being very distracted, in Saito's case.

banthesun
2014-10-08, 09:11 PM
"Ah"

Kyoko sat there confused. If Asami isn't able to tell me about them, well, I can't push her to. But she did say "she" this time, what's going on there? Could she mean she likes someone who's really girly? I'm pretty sure she's not interested in Callum... What if she means... Ugh, I don't understand!" Kyoko returned to her food, till a voice next to her jolted her out of her contemplation.

"You were talking to that Kimura girl a lot, what's going on there?"

Argh! I was sure everyone was too busy watching Reiko and Saito!

"Uh, nothing! We were just talking about sushi!" she replied, a little panicky.

Kioku
2014-10-08, 09:51 PM
Asami glances up with an eyebrow raised, amused at being talked about by people right in front of her. I suppose what we were talking about was rather personal, but I wouldn't have said it in a public place if I minded being overheard. I wonder why she's so defensive about it, when her friend probably heard too?

banthesun
2014-10-08, 10:49 PM
"What's going on? You've been talking to her more than you've talked to us!"

"Yeah, what's up?"

Kyoko ummed and ahhed for a bit before properly answering. "Asami's actually a pretty good friend... I kinda just wanted to talk to her when we ran into her. Sorry I haven't really..."

"Hmph!"

Kyoko hadn't been able to make eye-contact with either Asami or Hikari the whole time, and looked down at the floor after finishing her answer.

Kioku
2014-10-09, 08:10 AM
Asami gives an uncharacteristic snort. "What are you complaining about? If you want her to talk to you, try engaging her in conversation. I didn't see you making any efforts, so it's your own fault." She turns to Kyoko to continue. "And you, you have nothing to be sorry about. It's not like you refused to talk to them, or rejected some attempt on their part. You shouldn't be sorry for talking to someone when being basically ignored."

banthesun
2014-10-09, 09:16 AM
Even Kyoko looked shocked at Asami's comments this time. Huh? Is she angry at them from earlier? Is she just trying to defend me? Is there something else going on? Kyoko glanced back and forth between Asami and the group, unable to find words to respond, and unable to commit herself to defending either party.

But Hikari looked like she took Kyoko's indecisiveness as a betrayal, and fixed her with a glare. "I'm not eating anywhere the staff are so rude!" she loudly proclaimed, before getting to her feet at heading for the exit.

"Wait, Hikari, wait!"

"Ah, Hikari! Hold on!"

"Uh, sorry! I've gotta go after! I'll be back!"

Kyoko was the last to her feet, taking a couple steps towards the door before stopping and looking back at Asami with a worried frown.

Kioku
2014-10-09, 10:12 PM
I'm rude for showing how she has no grounds to be offended? Funny. Misunderstanding what Kyoko is worried about, Asami just shrugs. "They won't send me after anyone as long as somebody comes back to pay in the next ten minutes or so. You can go ahead and clear things up if you want to..." I don't get how you can put up with someone who gets angry with you for daring to do something else while they're ignoring you though.

banthesun
2014-10-09, 10:27 PM
With Asami's approval to go after them, Kyoko nods and runs out. But barely three minutes later she returns, shoulders slumped and with a dissapointed look on her face. She goes back to her seat and lets out a sigh.

"That didn't go well... Ugh, what a mess..."

Kioku
2014-10-09, 10:46 PM
Saito looks up hopefully when Kyoko comes in, but looks a bit down when Reiko isn't behind her. "Want to talk about it?" Asami asks with a sympathetic look. "My shift only has another 20 minutes or so, I'll walk you back to the dorm after that if you want to stick around."

banthesun
2014-10-09, 10:59 PM
Kyoko shrugs. "Okay, sure." She doesn't look too sure about it, but soon continues. "Hikari didn't want to talk to me. She was pretty mad. I don't think she's going to just forget this..."

Kioku
2014-10-10, 07:41 AM
"Did she at least tell you why she was mad? It can't be something as stupid as 'you dared talk to someone else when I wasn't even trying to talk to you anyway'. It's not like she has some claim of ownership, you know?"

banthesun
2014-10-10, 08:13 AM
"Uh, I think she was still mad from when you told her off earlier... Uh, though she totally had been saying mean things about you!" Kyoko quickly clarified, not wanting to offend Asami. "She said something about me 'betraying' her by siding with you..." She gave another shug and a sigh.

Kioku
2014-10-10, 08:31 AM
Asami... laughs? "She thought *that* was a telling off? Wow, some people can't take a bit of sass and sarcasm. Sorry, but she's like a glass cannon with insults - no, more like a rubber band gun than a cannon. Ah, sorry again, I shouldn't be saying such things. She *is* your friend too, after all." Asami reaches over to give Kyoko's shoulder a squeeze. "I don't want to get in the way of your other friendships, assuming that they're good for you."

banthesun
2014-10-10, 08:55 AM
"Ugh, I don't know if she's still my friend... You are right about her not taking things well, but... Ugh, it's all so troublesome!" Kyoko closes her eyes and rests her head in her hands for a bit before looking back up. "Hey, Asami, uh, why did you tell her off like that? Uh, about not talking to me, that is?"

Kioku
2014-10-10, 09:57 AM
Asami blinks a couple times at the question. "I guess I didn't like how it seemed like she was trying to isolate you. That 'nobody gets to talk to you but me, and I'm not going to talk to you either so you have no one' thing that she had going on was really annoying. If she doesn't make an effort to talk to you, why should she care if you talk to someone else? It wasn't like you were excluding her." She bites her lip and shrugs. "I... I don't like seeing people isolated, or forced to be alone, and that's what it felt like she was doing."

banthesun
2014-10-10, 10:38 AM
"Ah, so you were standing up for me... Thanks, I guess, but I think it might have made things worse..."

Just saying it made Kyoko feel tired. If this was some movie, now would be the part where the hero would have to sit down and drink alcohol. All Kyoko had was the left over aburi sushi. She popped a piece in her mouth. It was good, but she still imagined there was a big difference.

What Asami said about the Hikari... Do they really treat me like that? I'm still new, and I don't know about half the things they talk about, so I can't comment! At least they put up with me! Ugh... Is this what Asami meant? Does she not want me to be in that situation or something?

"Uh, Asami, do you really think that's what they were doing to me? Isolating me?"

Kioku
2014-10-10, 09:15 PM
Asami pauses for a moment, unsure exactly what to say. "I..." she slowly starts, "don't know if that's what she intended. The rest of the group didn't seem to mind what you did when they weren't attending you. Maybe trying to control how you spend your time, or pressure you into only talking with people she approves of, it could be one of those rather than isolation. Or maybe she was insecure and afraid that if you had other friends around, you'd prefer them. It really could be any number of things. I just said what my first instinct was."

banthesun
2014-10-10, 10:16 PM
"I... ah, I guess you don't really know either..."

Asami is a good friend, but I wish she hadn't done that... At least I know she was trying to help.

"Ah, I'm sooooo sorry!" Reiko came running back into the shop, addressing the apology to Saito. "I'm sorry about her, I had to go after and make sure she was okay! Here, we didn't mean to leave without paying!" She reaches into her wallet and pays Saito for the meal. "I have to run again, but see you tomorrow!" She blows him a kiss and hurries towards the exit again. On her way out, she stops and turns towards Kyoko, her mouth open as if to say something. She couldn't find the words to say, and simply gives Kyoko a shrug and a look of concern, before leaving.

"Well, at least she doesn't hate me now..."

Kioku
2014-10-10, 11:14 PM
Saito blushes, stunned, at the blown kiss. Asami, meanwhile, doesn't seem to have much to say beyond "that's good. She has no reason to, right?"

banthesun
2014-10-11, 12:07 AM
"Right." Kyoko's response sounded hollow. "Right," she repeated, pushing herself to believe it. She took a deep breath, then her head slumped. A couple quiet sobs emerged before Kyoko drew her breath in again and held it. Slightly calmer, she continued. "Maybe you are right. About Hikari, that is." She made a little strangled noise then swallowed. "Sorry. Thanks for looking out for me, Asami."

Kioku
2014-10-11, 09:09 PM
Asami opens her mouth, pauses, closes it, slumps her shoulders, and looks around. Most of the customers seem content and there's a lull in orders, so she steps around the bar to slowly give Kyoko a long hug.

banthesun
2014-10-11, 10:34 PM
Kyoko wiggles in the hug, and frees her right arm to hug Asami back. It was embarrasing, and it made Kyoko feel a little helpless, but Asami's support was helping her calm down.

Well, this is something that the other girls wouldn't do...

Kioku
2014-10-11, 11:26 PM
"About what you said..." Asami whispers, "I really hope that I didn't make things worse. You've been a good friend and I don't want to mess things up for you."

banthesun
2014-10-11, 11:39 PM
Kyoko was glad to hear Asami call her a good friend, and she felt a little guilty for telling her she'd messed things up.

"No... You're a good friend to me too. It's just, I wish I had more good friends here." She left the implication about Hikari and the others unsaid.

Kioku
2014-10-12, 09:09 PM
"I understand." I really do... "I... don't think there was anyone I could have called a good friend since my s-sister, until coming here. It's changed things a lot for me. I hope you'll find that here too. And if things go poorly, or even the worst they could..." Asami lets go and shrugs, looking down at Kyoko with an unreadable expression. "In the face of disaster lies opportunity for renewal."

banthesun
2014-10-12, 10:09 PM
Oh, Asami has a sister? That must be who she misses from home, then! I'm a bit surprised she never mentioned her before, I wonder what she's like. I guess I'll find out when I meet her family... Kyoko wasn't sure what to think of what Asami had said. She sure says some deep-sounding stuff sometimes...

"Ah, I thought, since you're friends with everyone here- well, almost everyone," she corrected herself, thinking of what had just happened. "I thought you must have had tons of friends back in Okinawa?"

Kioku
2014-10-12, 11:31 PM
"Well... you know. There's a difference between 'friends' and friends. Most of the former would be better called acquaintances maybe, but..." Asami shrugs. "It makes them happier to use the word friend, even if I don't know them all that well, or even if they aren't genuinely interested in getting to know... heh. I feel like I've had this talk a few times before, now. Getting to know the 'real' me. That's the same way I put it when talking to Miyuki a couple months ago, about how being asked on dates all the time was annoying because we could see what kind of people they were, the ones asking. I must have seemed really bitter about it back then, come to think of... sorry, I guess I just don't know what to say, so I'm saying too much!" She steps back around the counter to prepare ingredients, for lack of any orders to fill.

banthesun
2014-10-13, 02:22 AM
Kyoko let Asami work for a while before responding, so she had time to think, but more so Asami didn't think she had really been talking too much.

"You really don't get any guys who want to know 'the real you?' Huh, I guess being pretty has its disadvantages too!" Kyoko smiles at Asami, before remembering what Asami had told her about her stalkers. "Ah, I'm sorry, I forgot you had trouble with, uh, over insistent guys. Hmm, maybe if you found a guy you liked they'd back off," she pondered. "I'm glad you found some good friends here! I don't understand why people wouldn't want to get to know you, though! Ah, actually, perhaps something like that was happening with Hikari..." Kyoko sighed again, but didn't look as defeated as before.

Kioku
2014-10-13, 07:13 PM
"Heh. Maybe a few more would. It's been better since the beginning of June, probably in no small part to the scene Tsubaki made when some idiot who was trying to drag me off accidentally hit me." The whole school was abuzz about that event for weeks, and there probably isn't a single student who hadn't heard some version or another of events - mostly kept honest due to the majority of the population's adoration of Asami and, more so, fear of Tsubaki.

Asami chuckles to herself a little and finishes clearing things away and cleaning up in preparation for the next person when her shift ends. "I don't think you'd have to worry about *quite* the same problems I do, about people liking you. Anyone would, once they get to know you I think! But in my case... people like what they see on the surface, who I guess that I pretend to be. They wouldn't want to look deeper than the side they already accept... and it's probably better that way."

banthesun
2014-10-13, 11:02 PM
Kyoko chuckled; she'd heard the story about Tsubaki and that fight. It was a bit scary that guys at this school would try something like that, but at least Asami had ended up safe. Good work Tsubaki.

Kyoko felt a bit concerned at what Asami had said about people not wanting to get to know her too much. She wondered if it would be presumptuous to assume she really knew what Asami was like deep down. "Well, I'm glad to be your friend," she said quietly, as a compromise.

Kioku
2014-10-13, 11:18 PM
I hope you still will be after hearing my family's lies... assuming they bring them up at all. Asami looks up with a smile. "I'm glad too. It's a little easier not to worry about, now that... well... now."

banthesun
2014-10-13, 11:34 PM
Kyoko smiled back at her. It was still hard for her to believe that such a beautiful, popular girl had so much to worry about, and even harder to believe that someone like herself could lend them support. I hope I am able to support Asami, if she ever really needs it...