PDA

View Full Version : Best epic feat for bard?

Hiro Quester
2014-10-03, 12:11 AM
Our last adventure of the campaign this weekend. We just made 20th level.

There's a chance that if all goes well,we might be able to level up one time during this weekend's game. DM has suggested that we might get to level 21.

If that happens, this would be my only chance in years of play, to take an epic feat. And I have little time to research the options.

My character is a bard10/sublime chord2/Heartfire fanner7/ abjurant champion 1. Primarily buffer debuffer for the party, and second string arcane caster.

Looking briefly, some epic feats seem powerful, and some meh. I'm always afraid that there's an obvious choice I'm overlooking.

So I'd appreciate some suggestions, please.

I'm considering lasting inspiration. Bardic music lasting ten times longer seems good. But few encounters last more than 10 rounds (I have lingering song feat already).

There must be better options. Suggestions please?

vhfforever
2014-10-03, 12:47 AM
I'm going to guess that Epic Spellcasting is off the table? If not, take it.

Phelix-Mu
2014-10-03, 01:50 AM
Was Music of the Gods an epic feat? I seem to recall the player of an epic bard getting excited about it in a campaign I was in a few years ago.

As a rule, buffs can never last too long. Especially since some of the bard stuff is pretty good outside of combat. Also good as pre-buffs during those rare, but not quite rare enough, occasions when the party is split up for one reason or another.

I believe that there is an epic feat that allows you to select two spells to add to spells known? Might be worth it depending on what lists you can choose from.

Improved Spell Capacity is pretty boss if you have metamagic feats that make it worthwhile.

Unfortunately, some of the best stuff (possibly including my suggestions) don't work until later levels, which is problematic because epic campaigns have a way of eclipsing their own half-life with some speed. Hopefully you will get a chance to play with the more enjoyable stuff like Master Wand and Master Staff.

Also, Obtain Familiar and the like are good choices at any level. Especially by the time you reach epic, when survivability is less of an issue (and you can afford to kit out your familiar with the mad dudz).

Max Caysey
2014-10-03, 05:01 AM
Epic inspiration!

hamishspence
2014-10-03, 05:14 AM
I'm going to guess that Epic Spellcasting is off the table? If not, take it.

Wouldn't a Bard need to take Improved Spell Capacity several times first - since Epic Spellcasting requires ability to cast 9th level spells?

Hiro Quester
2014-10-03, 05:59 AM
Music of the Gods would be good. But it's for later epic levels. Requires 30 ranks in perform.

I didn't keep knowledge (arcana) up to max, because it's a cross-class skill for the prestige classes. So no epic spellcasting.

But sublime chord does give my character 9th level spells, so improved spell capacity seems a promising idea. (Extended Time Stop alone would make it worthwhile; and being able to cast greater blink as a persistent spell)

I'll check out the familiar. I hadn't considered that.

Thanks, all. More suggestions welcome.

ShurikVch
2014-10-03, 09:53 AM
Permanent Emanation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#permanentEmanation)

Uncle Pine
2014-10-03, 11:38 AM
Permanent Emanation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#permanentEmanation)

Permanent Emanation (Selective AMF).

EDIT: Unfortunately Permanent Emanation requires 25 Spellcraft ranks which you probably won't have at 21st level (because no bloodlines shenanigans). :smallfrown: I'll instead suggest Multispell if you already have Quicken Spell.

EDIT: Lasting Inspiration also requires 25 ranks in a skill, how were you planning to take it at 21st level?

Hiro Quester
2014-10-03, 12:58 PM
Ooh... The possibility of a permanent enlarged, sculpted doughnut amf is really cool.

Or a permanent at will activated blinding glory spell could be most advantageous. Instantly blind all evil creatures within 2000+ feet. Pure win.

But yeah, I don't have the spellcraft quite at max. If i invested heavily there, I could get it there by level 24 though. If we go that far.

And perform will be at 24, so not yet on lasting inspiration.

Improved spell capacity it is. Extended time stop and alter self. Persisting 5th level spells like greater blink.

Uncle Pine
2014-10-03, 05:01 PM
Ooh... The possibility of a permanent enlarged, sculpted doughnut amf is really cool.

Minor nitpick: it's not really a doughnut (or a toroid), it's a sphere that doesn't affect you (yet you're still encased into it).

But yeah, extended Time Stop is nasty. :smallbiggrin:

Sith_Happens
2014-10-03, 05:28 PM
You can't extend Time Stop, you can empower or maximize it though.

Hiro Quester
2014-10-03, 11:42 PM
You can't extend Time Stop, you can empower or maximize it though.

Why not, Sith?
The description of the feat doesn't exclude spells with random duration.

An extended spell lasts twice as long as normal. A spell with a duration of concentration, instantaneous, or permanent is not affected by this feat. An extended spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

Fax Celestis
2014-10-03, 11:46 PM
Because time stop's duration is "Instantaneous".

Uncle Pine
2014-10-04, 02:21 AM
Because time stop's duration is "Instantaneous".

What? :smallconfused: No, Time Stop has a duration of 1d4+1 rounds (albeit it's apparent time):

Time Stop
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 9, Trickery 9
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1d4+1 rounds (apparent time); see text

StreamOfTheSky
2014-10-04, 02:23 AM
Epic Leadership.

Automatic Quicken Spell (rods can cover you, so not really necessary if you have the cash)

Group Inspiration if in a caster-heavy party. And Epic Inspiration is lackluster (basically identical to Song of the Heart), but it stacks w/ SotH, and if all the casters (including you) have Practiced Spellcaster, Inspire Greatness is now giving the entire party +4 CL.

Improved Spell Capacity....I assume if playing epic, any Bard is a Sublime Chord, though.

On that note...Multispell.

Fax Celestis
2014-10-04, 09:30 AM
What? :smallconfused: No, Time Stop has a duration of 1d4+1 rounds (albeit it's apparent time):

It's in the faq.

Uncle Pine
2014-10-04, 09:53 AM
It's in the faq.

FAQs are not official rules, if I remember correctly. Your mileage may vary (in other words, ask your DM). By RAW, you should be able to extend Time Stop.

Sith_Happens
2014-10-05, 03:11 AM
It's in the faq.

And, more importantly, in the PHB errata.

Fax Celestis
2014-10-05, 04:13 AM

Yeah? Weird that d20srd.org doesn't have it in there then as they tend to include errata in their pages.

Uncle Pine
2014-10-05, 04:57 AM

Assuming I'm looking in the right place, I can't find any mention about Time Stop in PHB's errata (http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1406/~/d%26d%3A-3.5-and-3.0-errata-and-faq) (namely the phb_clarifications.zip, the phb_corrections.zip and player's handbook.zip). I admit I didn't read the FAQs, but those don't (necessarily) count.

Karnith
2014-10-05, 06:01 AM
That isn't in the PHB errata. The concept of Time Stop having a duration of instantaneous was only ever in a 3.0 FAQ answer dealing with its interaction with Persistent Spell. Per the 3.0 Main FAQ (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a):

Assuming you are high enough level to cast a persistent time stop spell, could you use the virtual 24 hours the spell lasts to rest and recover your spells?
You can’t make time stop persistent. (Its duration is effectively instantaneous for purposes of the Persistent Spell feat.)

Drelua
2014-10-05, 09:57 AM
Minor nitpick: it's not really a doughnut (or a toroid), it's a sphere that doesn't affect you (yet you're still encased into it).

But yeah, extended Time Stop is nasty. :smallbiggrin:

So, it's more like a powdered timbit then, and you're the delicious jelly filling? :smallbiggrin:

Uncle Pine
2014-10-05, 10:33 AM
So, it's more like a powdered timbit then, and you're the delicious jelly filling? :smallbiggrin:

A delicious jelly filling with arcane casting and kick-assing capabilities! :smallbiggrin: