PDA

View Full Version : dropping stuff on their head

Ettina
2014-10-03, 08:04 AM
If you're dropping an item weighing 1-5 pounds on someone from 70 feet above them, what kind of roll would it be to determine if you hit them?

Bronk
2014-10-03, 08:07 AM
If you're dropping an item weighing 1-5 pounds on someone from 70 feet above them, what kind of roll would it be to determine if you hit them?

They get a DC15 Reflex save to see if it missed.

Curmudgeon
2014-10-03, 10:37 AM
You don't drop things and expect them to hit creatures in D&D; for that, you need to throw them and make an attack roll instead. If it's an improvised weapon, your maximum range is 5 range increments, normally 10' each. Only if you have Far Shot will you be able to attempt a 70' shot. If you're just dropping stuff, the DM first determines if it hit the square or was misaimed/blown aside/whatever. After that, it's as Bronk stated: DC 15 Reflex save to avoid any falling objects that hit your square.

Phelix-Mu
2014-10-03, 10:43 AM
Though the tactic is noteworthy for being potentially low cost and easy to spam on weak enemies. Pretty much any idiot can drop something, so get a bunch of flying summons to drop rocks maybe. Or have the guards on the castle walls drop rocks. Ref DC 15 might be a better bet than the guard's chances of hitting a decently protected enemy with a direct attack.

But if you generally are just doing it once, probably best to use an attack roll.

Ettina
2014-10-04, 04:21 AM
You don't drop things and expect them to hit creatures in D&D; for that, you need to throw them and make an attack roll instead. If it's an improvised weapon, your maximum range is 5 range increments, normally 10' each. Only if you have Far Shot will you be able to attempt a 70' shot. If you're just dropping stuff, the DM first determines if it hit the square or was misaimed/blown aside/whatever. After that, it's as Bronk stated: DC 15 Reflex save to avoid any falling objects that hit your square.

Would that still apply if the 70 feet is all down, though? It seems like it would be easier to aim with dropping stuff than throwing stuff.

(Context: An intangible character capable of flight wants to use mage hand (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Mage_Hand) to attack something. I know getting up 70 feet while moving 15 feet per turn with Concentration checks will be an ordeal, but against an opponent with no magic weapons I'll have all the time I want to keep trying.)

Curmudgeon
2014-10-04, 06:28 AM
Would that still apply if the 70 feet is all down, though? It seems like it would be easier to aim with dropping stuff than throwing stuff.
Yep. D&D simplifies things. You don't have any extra penalty for making ranged shots straight up, and you don't get any extra benefit for making ranged shots straight down.

fishyfishyfishy
2014-10-04, 11:07 AM
Yep. D&D simplifies things. You don't have any extra penalty for making ranged shots straight up, and you don't get any extra benefit for making ranged shots straight down.

Don't you get a +1 bonus to attack rolls for having higher ground?

Edit: I checked and the bonus only applies to melee attacks. That seems strange to me.