PDA

View Full Version : Freelancer

Jimp
2007-03-14, 05:17 PM
I just got it yesterday.
Is it just me or is it the single greatest space game EVER?
I'm in so much love it's not even funny. Does anyone else play it?
Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freelancer_%28computer_game%29

Erloas
2007-03-14, 05:51 PM
While the mouse controls worked really well, I actually felt that they worked too well and took a lot of challenge out of the game. And there are a few times when they act like you are free to do your own thing, but its a lie, it has a railroad-a-rific storyline. It wasn't a bad game, but it left a lot to be desired in the freedoms of space categories. There was pretty much just combat.

I recently started playing X3, I think its a great space game, it has many more aspects of space to it then just fighting. For some people thats good, for others its bad. X3 has a fairly steep learning curve though and you pretty much have to visit their forums to figure out what some of the stuff does. Its a very open sandboxy game. Although it is much more demanding in terms of your PC, so it can really get bogged down in big fights if you have an older system. Old of course being relative in computer technology.

Timberwolf
2007-03-14, 06:00 PM
Freelancer does indeed rock. I have to get that working again. Great days spent coordinating with my housemate over Teamspeak, preying on the space lanes. Arrrrr !!

Arlanthe
2007-03-15, 05:03 AM
I played Freelancer for a few weeks. It was fun for awhile, but not terribly deep. The gameplay depth was such that after about a month of casual play, I was ready to move on. It was a very "simple" game, and not a marathon runner.

Caelestion
2007-03-15, 07:31 AM
It's a good game and always great for replaying every so often to marvel at the cool visuals. (Magellan is my favourite.) It's also endlessly moddable, adding to its replayability.

Unfortunately, it's not a marathon game. I play it a lot when I play it but I don't play it that often.

blackout
2007-03-15, 07:46 AM
Anybody else got the Gateway to Galactica mod for it? :) It adds new ships to the game, and does some other stuff.

Caelestion
2007-03-15, 08:21 AM
The Void 2112 mod is an excellent mod for those who enjoy harder fights, intelligent NPCs, much more equipment and stunning views.

Premier
2007-03-15, 10:01 AM
The Void 2112 mod is an excellent mod for those who enjoy harder fights, intelligent NPCs, much more equipment and stunning views.

Say, does this mod work with the single-player campaign, too? Like, can you start a new game with this mod installed, and play the game like normal, only with access to all the extra stuff? The mod's website doesn't say so, and right now I don't want to reinstall Freelancer just to find out.

Maxymiuk
2007-03-15, 10:26 AM
Ahhh, Frelancer, the game in which I could get all the best stuff in one day.

Not much replay value, heck not much realism once you get down to it, but stunning visuals and atmosphere.

Big tip: if you want true freelancing, go into multiplayer, even if you're going to play alone. You have access to everywhere, including places you couldn't go in the campaign (but as a downside, you can't access some campaign-specific locations).

Another tip: if you want to have THE best ship, side with the pirates. Being goody-two-shoes gets you... oh, the third best one, and even that one takes a lot of looking for (since it isn't a Rheinland ship).

Caelestion
2007-03-15, 10:28 AM
Say, does this mod work with the single-player campaign, too? Like, can you start a new game with this mod installed, and play the game like normal, only with access to all the extra stuff? The mod's website doesn't say so, and right now I don't want to reinstall Freelancer just to find out.
It works as far as the flight from Magellan to Leeds, which is unfortunate, because otherwise it works great. Of course, to see the mod in its full majesty, you ought to check out their MP domain.

NEO|Phyte
2007-03-15, 10:57 AM
Another tip: if you want to have THE best ship, side with the pirates. Being goody-two-shoes gets you... oh, the third best one, and even that one takes a lot of looking for (since it isn't a Rheinland ship).
Was the best ship piratey in nature? I seem to recall it simply being well out of the way in one of the neutral stations. Mind you, our ideas of best ship may differ.
I will concede that some of the best weaponry is held by the less than lawful types. Mmmmm, Sunslayer torpedos...

pendell
2007-03-15, 11:03 AM
My personal favorite is the Eagle, a Liberty ship sold by the Zoners. It has identical gun stats to the super-pirate ships, sacrificing armor for much greater maneuverability.

The Titan and the Sabre are 'better' in the sense of having stronger armor and a bit more cargo space, but I haven't seen the additional armor as being terribly useful once you have class 10 weapons.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-03-15, 01:49 PM
I love the Sabre. And for good replay, download that mod that allows you to buy any ship in the game. I love the Nomad Battleship.

Jimp
2007-03-15, 01:59 PM
I love the feel of just flying around space by yourself and getting through things. That and landing your ships in space station.
Anyone know a site with some good mods on it?

Maxymiuk
2007-03-15, 05:36 PM
My personal favorite is the Eagle, a Liberty ship sold by the Zoners. It has identical gun stats to the super-pirate ships, sacrificing armor for much greater maneuverability.

The Titan and the Sabre are 'better' in the sense of having stronger armor and a bit more cargo space, but I haven't seen the additional armor as being terribly useful once you have class 10 weapons.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

IIRC though, the Eagle can carry only two class 10 weapons, while the Titan and Sabre have 4 class 10 slots each. Twin Diamondbacks and Wildfires, plus the class 9 corsair weapons mean you can down 90% of the ships in the game with a single salvo. Which is both scary and entertaining at the same time.

Is the Eagle sold by the Zoners though? I thought you find them only in various Freeports, and I distinctly remember buying that ship off of a planet hidden in a nebula in a system with twin stars and a half-finished shipping lane... The port there was an industrial platform in the middle of an ocean. I can't be 100% certain, since I don't have the game currently installed.

NEO|Phyte
2007-03-15, 05:44 PM
IIRC though, the Eagle can carry only two class 10 weapons, while the Titan and Sabre have 4 class 10 slots each. Twin Diamondbacks and Wildfires, plus the class 9 corsair weapons mean you can down 90% of the ships in the game with a single salvo. Which is both scary and entertaining at the same time.
The Eagle has 4 class 10 mounts.

My setup of choice was 4 Nomad guns (can't remember which of the 2 varieties I picked) and a pair of Tizona Del Cid (Corsair guns, best anti-shield stuff in the unmodded game) in the Class 9 slots. Depending on the situation, I'd either have a Sunslayer or whatever the highest grade Cruise Disrupter mounted.

On a semirelated note, am I the only one that took to turning on glide mode (or whatever its called, your main engine is turned off, and you drift in whatever direction you were going last, slowly deccelerating) and using controlled afterburner bursts to fly?

Beleriphon
2007-03-16, 02:57 AM
On a semirelated note, am I the only one that took to turning on glide mode (or whatever its called, your main engine is turned off, and you drift in whatever direction you were going last, slowly deccelerating) and using controlled afterburner bursts to fly?

I remember doing that, pretty fun way to get around. As a bonus it made you dirty hard to detect.

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-03-16, 01:14 PM
Go to lancersreactor.com. They have literally thousands of mods.

S.ilver
2007-03-16, 09:31 PM
Heh... Freelancer. Wow, it's been a while since I've played this game. Last time I was in to it, I was playing the Evolutions mod at Pathfinder Studios. Good mod, extends the Freelancer universe with believable content.

Meh, I've wasted far too much time playing this game though :P.