PDA

View Full Version : Paladin (Ancients)/Fey Warlock Multiclass

randomodo
2014-10-03, 01:18 PM
Might be playing in a new game, likely to go no higher than 10 (or, like my last one, may collapse after two sessions, in which case I'm better off just DMing, but that's another story), and I'm thinking of playing a paladin openly sworn to a greater fey power. I'm curious about peoples' thoughts on utility.

I'd start as paladin (to get armor proficiencies and better saves), the mix pally and warlock levels.

1. paladin (lay on hands, armor)
2. paladin 2 (duelist style)
3. paladin 3 (oath)
4. warlock 1 (cantrips, hex and armor spell)
5. warlock 2 (haven't decided on what I'd pick)
6. warlock 3 (chain pact, because a sprite familiar is key to the flavor of the character)
7. paladin 4 (warcaster or boost CHA)
8. warlock 4 (boost CHA or warcaster, whichever I didn't pick at level 7)
9. paladin 5 (extra attack, 2nd level spells - part of the key to making this more bladey than a bladelock)
10. not sure. Pally 6 would give me the aura; warlock 5 would give a level 3 spell slot

Not really interested in going bladelock because I think I get the flavor of it (and am more effective) by having a paladin multiclass.

The sprite seems better than the pseudodragon as a familiar and is more obviously fey than the tiny dragon. Plus there's that whole invisibility and posioned arrows thing. I'm assuming when I get my extra attack at character level 9/pally level 5 that I could give up one of my attacks to allow the sprite to shoot arrows (though I can't imagine things at that level failing their saving throw very often).

thoughts?

EvilAnagram
2014-10-03, 02:11 PM
Honestly, bladelock seems better. Get that CHA bonus to melee damage. Nevermind, that's a level 12 incantation. Of course, if you're set on the sprite, get the sprite. Always go with the character concept that speaks to you.

I'd also go for the aura over the Warlock spells. It's just as good as a spell, better than a lot of level 3 spells, and you get the hit die of a Paladin. And do you get a Paladin spell at level 6? No, you do not.

Baveboi
2014-10-03, 03:09 PM
It is a little cheesy, but I will counsel you to get the blade pact and that extra attack Invocation. As for the pixie you can just befriend a Pixie and then offer it vassalage under your guide, making a pact of Familiarship, since you are obviously walking the they stairway to fey lordship with those classes.

Shining Wrath
2014-10-03, 03:10 PM
Why not go Paladin 4 / Warlock 4? Is there some advantage to deferring your feat / ability score boost?

Person_Man
2014-10-03, 03:54 PM
My observations:

If you're not relying on Eldritch Blast or some other cantrips for at-will damage, you typically want to get Extra Attack (or just lots of Sneak Attack) as soon as possible. Otherwise you will be 50%-ish less effective in your average at-will damage outpit. If you are relying on Eldritch Blast or some other cantrip for at-will damage, then the Extra Attack class feature is basically a dead level for you.

With the exception of capstones, the most powerful Paladin class abilities by far are Smite, Aura of Protection (Cha to Saves aura), and Aura of Warding (Resistance to Magic aura). The latter two are useful because they provide an amazing protection to your allies. If you just want to make yourself really tanky, there are other better ways; Wildshape, Rage, Evasion, Uncanny Dodge, healing magic, etc.

Remember that from a pure combat perspective, being forced to have a high Charisma is a drawback. The most common saves and checks are Dex, Con, or Wis based. So a Dex/Con or Con/Wis based class with the Resilient Feat will typically have the same or better saves and checks then the Str/Con/Cha based Paladin + Cha to Saves. (Though obviously if you happen to just roll really well in 4+ ability scores, then Paladin or Monk really would be an awesome way to go).

Despite the Cha synergy, due to the funky multi-class rules on non-stacking of Extra Attack/Thirsting Blade and spell/pact magic progression, Paladin/Warlock isn't a particularly good combination unless your DM allows a lot of Short Rests. You'll have very few spells you can use to fuel Smite, and your Warlock spells/invocations will lag seriously behind the spells of your allies and enemies.

For that reason, you may wish to consider Paladin 2/Valor Bard 18, Paladin 2/Moon Druid 18 (if you can convince your DM to use Fighting Style with natural weapons), Warlock 2/Valor Bard 18, Warlock 2/Sorcerer 18, strait Paladin, strait Warlock, and maybe a few other combinations I'm forgetting. The point is that both classes are dependent on their spells for offense, and mixing them together in equal-ish parts dilutes their spells tremendously.

rlc
2014-10-03, 06:21 PM
he's expecting to hit level 10, not 20, so it would be n 2/m 8 (n= first class, m = second)