PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on the mines of madness module?

Rfkannen
2014-10-03, 03:45 PM
So next friday im running this module http://osdclan.com/station/101413_DnD_Next_Public_Playtest/Adventures%20and%20Pre-Gens/Older%20Playtest%20Adventures%20and%20Bestiaries/Mines%20of%20Madness.pdf And This will be an introduction to 5e for a couple people, and d&d for one guy. So I was wondering if you had any advice. Thanks

One big thing is how long does it take?

Baveboi
2014-10-03, 03:47 PM
Yes, one.
Have extra characters at the ready. The bathroom murder and the chicken incident are famous for dropping at least one character each.

Rfkannen
2014-10-03, 03:50 PM
Yes, one.
Have extra characters at the ready. The bathroom murder and the chicken incident are famous for dropping at least one character each.

Like make my own backups for everyone or make everyone make 2 at the start?

Baveboi
2014-10-03, 03:53 PM
Like make my own backups for everyone or make everyone make 2 at the start?

I'd say have them make some characters they want to play as, and if you know them well, spend some extra hours making characters you know they will also want to play as. Since they are new, it would be easier for you to make the characters and you have to think of good excuses to introduce them, but that's easy.

Ramshack
2014-10-03, 04:09 PM
I'd never seen this before! Can this be run with the rules from new PHB? This could be a perfect follow up to the LMoP adventure if the characters find the hidden treasure map to no where specific lol

Rfkannen
2014-10-03, 04:15 PM
I'd never seen this before! Can this be run with the rules from new PHB? This could be a perfect follow up to the LMoP adventure if the characters find the hidden treasure map to no where specific lol

Yeah I am pretty sure its supposed to be run with the phb, at least that was what I was going to do, if it doesnt work then I will have to modd it quite a bit. Hmm I guess it could but doesnt LMoP end after level 3?

Ramshack
2014-10-03, 04:28 PM
We made it to level 4, doesn't seem like too much of a leap to start at 4 instead of 3.

FadeAssassin
2014-10-03, 05:36 PM
Personally, I don't think this is a great option to introduce people into 5e, or DnD. The Adventure is literally made to give laughs to the DM, and have Players fear everything.

It literally says: A REALLY FUN ADVENTURE (FOR THE DM, AT LEAST) on the title page.

But, if you are going to run it, you may come in contact with some things you need to change, since it was made with a 2013 version of the Playtest rules, for PAX East.

Rfkannen
2014-10-03, 05:43 PM
Personally, I don't think this is a great option to introduce people into 5e, or DnD. The Adventure is literally made to give laughs to the DM, and have Players fear everything.

It literally says: A REALLY FUN ADVENTURE (FOR THE DM, AT LEAST) on the title page.

But, if you are going to run it, you may come in contact with some things you need to change, since it was made with a 2013 version of the Playtest rules, for PAX East.

I guess you do have a point, it might be wiser to run a diffrent module. But I tried and failed to convert We be goblins, and from what I understand the other two modules (Hotd and LMoP) arent one shots. Also I don't get my mm till tuesday, so it would be hard to make my own. So yeah as far as I can tell its my best option.

Ramshack
2014-10-03, 05:53 PM
I guess you do have a point, it might be wiser to run a diffrent module. But I tried and failed to convert We be goblins, and from what I understand the other two modules (Hotd and LMoP) arent one shots. Also I don't get my mm till tuesday, so it would be hard to make my own. So yeah as far as I can tell its my best option.

If youre looking for a one shot you can run the first chapter of LMoP. 2 riders have gone missing find their ambushed horses on the road, track them back to the goblin cave and rescue both of them instead of only one.

Rfkannen
2014-10-03, 07:03 PM
If youre looking for a one shot you can run the first chapter of LMoP. 2 riders have gone missing find their ambushed horses on the road, track them back to the goblin cave and rescue both of them instead of only one.

Hmm maby.It doesnt realy seem worth it to buy the whole starter set in order to only get the one shot though. I mean it is mostly a downgrade from the phb.

Sartharina
2014-10-04, 01:31 AM
The best module for a 1-shot I can think of from back during the playtest was "Reclaiming Blingdenstone". Or you can always try to acquire and adapt Keep on the Borderlands.

A fun thing about 5e is that it's pretty easy to port all previous edition's modules forward to it if you just tweak the math a bit and use the 5e bestiary. D&D 5e is D&D.

Rfkannen
2014-10-04, 07:54 AM
The best module for a 1-shot I can think of from back during the playtest was "Reclaiming Blingdenstone". Or you can always try to acquire and adapt Keep on the Borderlands.

A fun thing about 5e is that it's pretty easy to port all previous edition's modules forward to it if you just tweak the math a bit and use the 5e bestiary. D&D 5e is D&D.

Keep on the borderlands was actualy one of the ones that I was looking at. However some of that old d&d stuff can be a bit hard to run from my perspective, i heard that hackmaster did a version of it. Would that perhaps work? Anyone know the diffrences between the 2.

Also does anyone know if you can get LMoP withought the starterset?