PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Infinite Temporary HP?

Archangelat
2014-10-03, 04:27 PM
Disclaimer: I am completely new to 5e so if the questions seems dumb thats the reason.

So glancing over the Warlock I noticed that I can choose Fiendish Vigor as an invocation which grants my character the ability to cast False-Life at will w/o expending the spell slot or any resources.

That said, does this mean that I can keep on casting False-Life on myself and gain infinite temporary hp? If not, please explain to me why not.

Thank you in advance for the guidance.

archaeo
2014-10-03, 04:34 PM
False life provides temporary hit points, which do not stack. "If you have temporary hit points and receive more of them, you decide whether to keep the ones you have or to gain the new ones. For example, if a spell grants you 12 temporary hit points when you already have 10, you can have 12 or 10, not 22." (PHB 198)

Ramshack
2014-10-03, 04:35 PM
Yes you can cast the spell an infinite number of times in a day. The HP you get from each cast does not stack though. You still have to spend the action to cast it.

So you can start every fight with the Temporary HP, but after you're hit and it's depleted you'll have to choose to cast it again instead of taking another action.

Archangelat
2014-10-03, 04:49 PM
Thank you both for the prompt reply.

Slipperychicken
2014-10-03, 04:54 PM
False life provides temporary hit points, which do not stack. "If you have temporary hit points and receive more of them, you decide whether to keep the ones you have or to gain the new ones. For example, if a spell grants you 12 temporary hit points when you already have 10, you can have 12 or 10, not 22." (PHB 198)

In addition, spell effects in general overlap, such that only the most powerful one applies.

Chaosvii7
2014-10-03, 11:46 PM
I mean, there's a feat that gives you temporary hit points with a short rest. It's not balls to the wall overpowered, though. If anything it helps the Warlock's melee prowess, which is definitely a good thing.