PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a Paladin/Warlock Build

EvilAnagram
2014-10-03, 05:27 PM
This is a high-level build, and I don't know how good it will be in the intermediate, but here we go:

Half-Elf, standard array
STR 16, DEX 12, CON 14, INT 8, WIS, 10, CHA 16

Levels 1-6: Paladin, Oath of Vengeance
Levels 7-20: Warlock, Fiend Pact, Pact of the Blade

At level 4, Polearm Master.
At level 10, +2 STR
At level 14, War Caster
At level 20, +2 STR

Agonizing Blast
Repelling Blast
One with Shadows
Thirsting Blade
Mask of Many Faces
Lifedrinker

Obviously, the idea here is to optimize your damage-dealing potential. At level 20, equipped with a Glaive and using Divine Smite, you can do 1d10+8 three times a turn, plus 1d4+8 as a bonus action with Polearm Master. Then you consider things like Divine Smite, Hurl Through Hell, and Eldritch Blast. Your best round of attacks, with you hitting every attack, you'd be doing 3d10(basic attacks)+1d4(Polearm Master)+10d8(Divine Smites)+24(STR+CHA for attacks)+10d10(Hurl Through Hell) for an average of 143 damage and a max of 248 damage.

That's a nice nova.

After your nova, you still have a solid 3d10+1d4+24 to dish out each turn, plus Eldritch Blast and some remaining Divine Smites/Warlock spells.

Thoughts?

Demonicattorney
2014-10-04, 12:15 AM
The Pole-Arm Master/War-Caster interaction has been talked about on twitter. Wizard's interpretation is that you have to take the AoO with the Pole-Arm. Thirsting blade also does not stack with extra attack. Both allow for 2 attacks from the attack action, they do not permit a 3rd.

Shadow
2014-10-04, 12:38 AM
The Pole-Arm Master/War-Caster interaction has been talked about on twitter. Wizard's interpretation is that you have to take the AoO with the Pole-Arm. Thirsting blade also does not stack with extra attack. Both allow for 2 attacks from the attack action, they do not permit a 3rd.

He is using the glaive for the extra attack.
But you're right on the second point. The RAI on Thirsting Blade is that it gives a blade pact warlock the extra attack feature, but that doesn't stack with any other extra attack feature gained from another class.

Hytheter
2014-10-04, 12:41 AM
He is using the glaive for the extra attack.
But you're right on the second point. The RAI on Thirsting Blade is that it gives a blade pact warlock the extra attack feature, but that doesn't stack with any other extra attack feature gained from another class.

It's not just RAI, it's RAW, straight from the multiclassing section of the PHB.

"Similarly, the warlock’s eldritch invocation Thirsting Blade doesn’t give you additional attacks if you also have Extra Attack."

Shadow
2014-10-04, 12:47 AM
There ya go then.
I'm AFB so I couldn't check it, but I knew it wasn't intended. I just didn't remember if it was specifically stated or not.

EvilAnagram
2014-10-04, 10:48 AM
Good to know about the Extra Attack. Anything else about it?