PDA

View Full Version : need help with a character concept

Dayaz
2014-10-03, 08:25 PM
I'm trying to build a character for a final fantasy inspired pf game. I'm trying to find something like the Blue Mage, who gains perks/spells by eating monsters. Alternatively, are there any homebrew where you use monster parts for crafting like in Monster Hunter? I was hoping to use the Omnomnomicon, but it's not finished sadly.

It's a level 8 game

gorfnab
2014-10-03, 11:10 PM
You could check out the homebrew Blue Mage in my signature. I need to adjust the table a bit but all the text is still there.

daremetoidareyo
2014-10-03, 11:32 PM
you can refluff mortal hunter around this concept pretty easily. Don't even need to be a mage per se.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-03, 11:56 PM
Illithid Savant. It's totally not broken.

Dayaz
2014-10-04, 11:13 AM
You could check out the homebrew Blue Mage in my signature. I need to adjust the table a bit but all the text is still there.

I had looked at that one, but I didn't like that, at a glance, I'm relying on my dm to basically give me spells. Also, having to 'experience' the spell to steal it kind of hurts lol.

you can refluff mortal hunter around this concept pretty easily. Don't even need to be a mage per se.

What is Mortal Hunter?

Illithid Savant. It's totally not broken.

Tell ya what, help me turn it into a 20 level base class that isn't as broken and non-ilithids can take, and he'd probably let me run with it lol.

Fax Celestis
2014-10-04, 11:16 AM
Totemist could do it, if you played it right.

Troacctid
2014-10-04, 12:21 PM
Ardent Dilettante gets an ability that lets them mimic spells, although it is only once per day.

Necrocarnates can steal the soul energy of recently slain creatures to gain power, although they can't copy abilities, only charge up their own.

Dayaz
2014-10-06, 12:18 PM
bump for more thoughts?

darksolitaire
2014-10-06, 12:54 PM
Spell to Power Erudite gets to learn stuff, but it must be from a "willing" target. Spellthief gets to take stuff but it's otherwise very limited. I'd ask DM if I could combine the two and learn stuff I have stolen as Spellthief as Erudite powers. It wouldn't work as it stands since Spellthief only "remembers" what he steals for an hour and Erudite needs 8 hours to learn a power. I think the resulting character would also be weaker then base Erudite and wouldn't work if Psionics aren't in use.

lytokk
2014-10-06, 01:22 PM
I think the big problem with blue mages in D&D is that the monsters don't really get a set of specific special attacks like they do in final fantasy. What I do think might, and I stress might, fit would be something like warshaper. The only iconic blue mage I can remember from the final fantasy games was Gau from 6. Arguably not a real blue mage, but it makes some sense using him as a base. Shaping to gain claws, teeth, tails or whatnot to make a monster attack.

Continuing to use Gau as a base, isn't there a barbarian ACF that gives you the required transformation for warshaper?

Edit*
Barring that, why not go master of many forms and actually just become the monsters? Wildshape ranger as a base, and then go to town as a fire giant.

daremetoidareyo
2014-10-06, 06:01 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?234642-3-5-PrC-With-This-I-Creep-on-All-Fours-The-Skinwalker-(PEACH)

http://dndtools.eu/classes/mortal-hunter/