PDA

View Full Version : Paladin/Monk/Sun Soul Monk

Fax Celestis
2007-03-14, 07:23 PM
I can see a lot of virtue in a Paladin 2/Monk 2/Sun Soul Monk (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050601a&page=4) 10, especially with judicious application of Ascetic Knight (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Ascetic_Knight,CAd). I'm curious what to finish off the last six levels with, though. Anyone have ideas?

goat
2007-03-14, 07:50 PM
What would be your stat layout?

Rama_Lei
2007-03-14, 07:53 PM
Fill out with more monk or paladin levels?

Assassinfox
2007-03-14, 07:54 PM
Argent Fist?

Jasdoif
2007-03-14, 08:07 PM
Kensai could do well. Flaming fists should stack with the signature weapon abilities as far as I can see, and power surge and withstand will both be useful if you have a lot of ranks in Concentration.

Or maybe Psionic Fist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/psionicFist.htm), further increase your unarmed strike/AC and pick up some manifesting at the same time, but you'd need another level of monk to get still mind so you could qualify.

MeklorIlavator
2007-03-14, 08:13 PM
Personally, I would go with Kensai, just for the comedy factor of trowing and returning fists(totally legal by RAW). Since they are already flaming, make them thundering or collision, and you have rocket fists.

Just picture it. You are attacked by some one who throws his fists at you. Now that would be intimidating.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-15, 09:46 AM
I don't actually have a stat layout for this. It's more of a concept than anything at the moment. As for putting in more monk or paladin levels, I'm not really sure that's a good idea. I mean, the only thing I'd really want to get from paladin is paladin spells, and the ten levels of Sun Soul Monk makes that nigh-impossible. Further, nothing in the monk class really interests me.

Looked through a few books, and found the Initiate of Pistis Sophia, which seems synergizing. I'd have to see if there's any particular errata about it (since it has improved evasion listed twice and doesn't specify it's smite stacking with paladin levels), but it seems like a nice fit.

So, Paladin 2/Monk 2/Sun Soul Monk 10/Initiate of Pistis Sophia 6, though that may not technically be possible depending on prerequisites. I haven't checked them out.

EDIT: Conversely, I could do Paladin 2/Monk 2/Sun Soul Monk 10/Thief-Acrobat 5/Monk 1, though I'd be more of acrobat-ninja than a frontliner.

Jasdoif
2007-03-16, 08:06 PM
Unfortunately, Initiate of Pistis Sophia won't fit. One of the prerequisite feats (Sanctify Ki Strike) requires ki strike (lawful), and you're 8 monk levels away from that one since Sun Soul Monk doesn't improve ki strike with the other monk abilities.

Douglas
2007-03-16, 11:56 PM
Sun Soul Monk requires 8 ranks in Concentration which is not possible before level 5, so you need one more level of something before you start the PrC.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-17, 01:08 PM
What I've come up with so far, with the help of PersonMan, is Paladin 3/Monk 2/Sun Soul Monk 9/Kensai 6, with the Serenity, Ascetic Knight, Open Lesser Chakra (Arms) and Shape Soulmeld (Sphinx Claws) feats. That combination will switch my Paladin class features to Wis and let me flurry at the end of a charge, as well have brilliant energy, flaming burst fists, and the boosts associated with Kensai 6.