PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Is there a way to get two familiars?

Kraken
2014-10-04, 03:10 AM
As a wizard, I want a viper and a raven as familiars, but I can't find a way to do it. The only thing that seems to work is eldritch heritage (arcane bloodline), which is doable, but I figured I'd see what other options exist, as having to put skill focus into a knowledge skill is a painful feat tax.

Judge_Worm
2014-10-04, 05:35 AM
I believe, by RAW familiar granting abilities don't stack, or else you could dip a level in sorcerer or two in adept.

Another solution- Get the viper familiar, and then get an awakened raven cohort. The raven won't grow with you (unless it does), but really the purpose of a raven familiar is one that talks and flies, the viper grants better bonuses.

Are you by chance playing as Alexandra Quick?

If so, the snake was never really her familiar, just a kindly animal (mechanically an animal cohort).

deuxhero
2014-10-04, 06:55 AM
Ask your GM if Tumor Familiar stacks with normal familiar or not. It's the only possible way I see because it's not technically a familiar.

The Insanity
2014-10-04, 07:19 AM
Or ask the DM if he could make a houserule/exception for you. It's not like it's overpowered or you want it for optimization, right?

Kraken
2014-10-04, 07:25 AM
Or ask the DM if he could make a houserule/exception for you. It's not like it's overpowered or you want it for optimization, right?

Well, Pun Pun is heavily reliant on a familiar familiar to work, so I figured if I had two.... :smallbiggrin:

Ruethgar
2014-10-04, 08:55 AM
Unfortunately it is not PF, but there is a feat called Extra Familiar in one of the Dragon Magazines and it stacks.

Yanisa
2014-10-04, 09:29 AM
I believe, by RAW familiar granting abilities don't stack, or else you could dip a level in sorcerer or two in adept.

Quite the opposite, familiar granting abilities do stack, which is why you can only have one familiar. For example a wizard (1)/sorcerer (1) counts as a level 2 wizard for the sake of its familiar (instead of counting as a level 1 twice). This leads to silly things like Eldritch Heritage ensuring all your levels count double. I.E. a Wizard 5 with Eldritch Heritage Arcane counts as a level 10 Character for its familiar abilities... The default pathfinder advice is to stick with one familiar anyways so they don't really make rules for having more then one. If you want more then 1 familiar, you need DM approval.
Besides that, Eldritch Heritage is the only feat way, multiclassing is the other way but not advised.

By going with RAW the easiest way around it its getting your animal companion trough a different way. Animal Ally (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/animal-ally) (pick a viper and buff it's int with level increases if you want it to be smart) or Leadership (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/leadership---final) (Go for the awakened animal as said before, give it some class levels to buff it out as it grows.)

deuxhero
2014-10-05, 12:03 PM

TWO familiars isn't overpowered? Think of all the poor Lightning Warriors!

gorfnab
2014-10-05, 02:56 PM
Extra Familiar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/kobold-press/general-feats---3rd-party---kobold-press/extra-familiar) - feat for Pathfinder, it's 3rd party though.