PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other New fey ne'er-do-well; need help w/finishing touches

OttoVonBigby
2014-10-04, 09:09 AM
For context, this creature is based on Coily from the famous '50s short film "A Case of Spring Fever" (MST3K version here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_mE8wKRcQc)). If you think about this concept for a few minutes, it starts to become pretty terrifying...and in a fantasy setting? Ah, the potential for torment.

So! Here's what I've got so far. My goal is a CR of no less than 11 and no more than about 15. Note that I've conflated several 3.5 skills into Pathfinder-inspired versions. Also, since it might matter, I'm using Burlew's Diplomacy rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9606632&postcount=2). I may very well have gotten some math wrong below, so PEACH away.

Wish Sprite
Diminutive Fey (Incorporeal)
Hit Dice: ~20d6?+120 (190 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 30 ft.
Armor Class: 24 (+4 size, +4 Dex, +6 natural), touch 18, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple:
Attack: incorporeal touch +10 (1d12)
Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/cold iron, fey traits, manifestation, spell resistance 20, sprite wish, thematic polymorph
Saves: Fort +??, Ref +??, Will +??+2
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 18, Con 21, Int 20, Wis 24, Cha 18
Skills: Acrobatics +10, Athletics +10, Diplomacy +10, Knowledge (nature) +8, Perception +10, Stealth +10, Search +10
Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Track
Environment: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 11-15??
Treasure: 1/2 items only (Diminutive sized)
Alignment: Always chaotic neutral
Advancement: ...??

Patient and mischievous, wish sprites lurk on the Ethereal Plane, waiting for mortals to casually utter ill-considered wishes. When this happens, and when the wish sprite perceives some fun to be had at the mortal's expense, he waits until the wisher is alone, then appears and grants the wish, heedless of any protestations on the mortal's part. The wish sprite will then continue to stalk the wisher, appearing occasionally (mainly when the wisher is confronted with undesirable consequences of the wish) to issue taunting reminders of what the mortal claimed to want. Single-minded to a fault, wish sprites can't easily relate to mortal motivations, and like many fey, they are exceedingly judgmental. Though not quite evil, wish sprites are universally uncaring and mercurial, and are often opposed by good fey.

For reasons known only to them, wish sprites rarely spend time lurking amid Material Plane urban centers, preferring wild settings with a mystical undertone, such as dark forests, misty bogs, or rocky promontories. They sometimes approach thinly-populated areas, like small villages, during equinoctial nights or full moons.

In their natural forms, wish sprites look like smaller, wingless pixies with vaguely gnomelike facial features. They stand ten inches high and have slender, gangly humanoid bodies. They can be either male or female. Wish sprites speak Common and Sylvan.

Manifestation (Su)
This ability functions like the ghost ability.

Spell-Like Abilities
At will— dancing lights, fog cloud (DC 20??), mage armor, prestidigitation; 3/day— dispel magic, haste, protection from law, speak with animals, speak with plants, telekinesis. Caster level ??th.

Sprite Wish (Su)
Once per month, a wish sprite can fulfill a wish (as the spell) for a mortal humanoid. The sprite can use this ability to grant a mortal whatever he or she desires—but wish sprites always choose to fulfill wishes that carry unintended, and usually negative, consequences. In practice, wish sprites often wait years or decades between granting wishes, because their entire purpose lies in stalking the wisher, watching the consequences unfold, and gloating. Wish sprites are usually circumspect enough not to grant wishes that might widely broadcast their involvement (e.g. "I wish every elf in the world would turn into a frog!") or attract the attention of entities of cosmic levels of power.

A sufficiently persuasive wisher can convince (but can never coerce) a wish sprite into reversing the effects of the wish, but such reversals must wait until at least a month after the initial wish was granted. If the affected mortal kills (or otherwise arranges the killing of) the wish sprite before a year and a day have passed, and if the wish sprite is aware of the wisher's role in his demise, the wish is reversed; thereafter, the wish can only be reversed by persuading the sprite (who is likely to be even less agreeable than normal if the mortal has tried to kill him).

Thematic Polymorph (Su)
A wish sprite manifesting on the Material Plane takes on a humanoid form resembling (but never identical to) a Diminutive version of a creature or object connected with the wish to which the sprite is responding. For example, a mortal wishing for a thousand gold pieces would be confronted by a talking, ambulatory pile of gold coins. The form grants no bonuses or penalties to the wish sprite; if it is a bird form, for example, the sprite cannot fly. The sprite cannot suppress this ability, and the form persists either until the wisher dies, the wish sprite is killed, or the wish is reversed. Like all fey [I][Ed.: in the cosmology of my setting], a slain wish sprite disappears from where he fell, but reverts to his natural form as he vanishes.

Combat
A wish sprite avoids direct confrontation and flees to the Ethereal Plane if seriously threatened. Otherwise, they favor indirect fights—zipping around their attacker via haste, telekinetically placing tripping hazards in an attacker's path, and so on. Wish sprites prefer that their Sprite Wish targets do not die too quickly, and have even been known to intercede when wishers attempt suicide.

Sith_Happens
2014-10-05, 03:12 AM
Try the Homebrew subforum.