PDA

View Full Version : Complete Mage Question

tobian
2007-03-14, 08:13 PM
I'm refering to the channeled sound burst spell; the effect is confusing. Namely, the 2 round cast time says 60 ft spread, but it lacks a range, because the other verisons of the spell (swift, standard, and full round) are all cones. Any idea?:smallconfused:

Looks like a cool bard spell, but it would be nice to know if the spread was centered on you (I hope it wouldnt hurt you if this was the case) or ranged.

Raum
2007-03-14, 08:17 PM
After two rounds it becomes a 60' radius burst spreading outward from the caster.

cupkeyk
2007-03-14, 08:38 PM
Where is the confusion again? It says cone shaped burst in the spell description and the 2 round version says its a 60 cone. Each version simply alters th original spell description by dice, range and effect.

Raum
2007-03-14, 08:59 PM
Hmm, the text seems to contradict itself. Area is listed as a cone (and the first versions of the spell) but the 2 round version states "60' radius spread" and doesn't mention cone at all.

Hence the confusion I suspect. Probably easiest to keep it a cone though.

broderickdruce
2007-03-14, 10:31 PM
I dont see the problem, it is a cone in 3/4 variations. the final is that it is a spread. The only thing that may be a bit off is that the stat block should say "Area: Varies". I believe the rule is that if the stat block has a contradiction then go with the text over the block.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-15, 08:24 AM
I dont see the problem, it is a cone in 3/4 variations. the final is that it is a spread. The only thing that may be a bit off is that the stat block should say "Area: Varies". I believe the rule is that if the stat block has a contradiction then go with the text over the block.
Exactly.

When using the 2-round casting time, ignore the "Area: Cone-shaped burst" line. It now becomes a 60-ft. spread, centered on the caster.

It doesn't say so, but I hope that it was intended that the caster gets exclusion from the effects of that spread.

Caelestion
2007-03-15, 08:26 AM
At least one spell from the Spell Compendium has an radial energy spell dealing more damage if you don't get excluded from the effect.