PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Arctic Familiar?

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-10-04, 12:38 PM
I am sure I had seen an option (feat, ACF, trait, etc) that made your familiar an arctic one. You had to take a familiar that could be native to the arctic though. You could have an owl, but not a scorpion. Now I cannot remember the name of this rule and I cannot find it with google either. Can the playground help me, please?

Thanks!

torrasque666
2014-10-04, 12:40 PM
The Winter Witch archetype?

Dusk Eclipse
2014-10-04, 12:45 PM
It isn't an ACF per say, but Frostburn (AKA It's Cold Outside) has a list of familiars suitable for Arctic environments, I don't remember the list exactly, but there is stuff like Arctic Fox, Gyrofalcon, snow owls and similar.

Troacctid
2014-10-04, 12:47 PM
The familiars you're looking for are in Frostburn, page 45.

Uncle Pine
2014-10-04, 01:23 PM
Alternative list of familiar in Frostburn
Polimorph Any Object (x2)
Spell Sovereign (PrC from Dragon Magazine #357) with a Lesser Orb of Cold living spell familiar?

Dusk Eclipse
2014-10-04, 01:32 PM
I personally think that PAO for a certain type of familiar is overkill, unless you use it to get something that usually can't be a familiar.... I still want a game where I can have a Displacer Beast familiar (sharing Displacer form is not enough >_<)

Uncle Pine
2014-10-04, 01:49 PM
I personally think that PAO for a certain type of familiar is overkill, unless you use it to get something that usually can't be a familiar.... I still want a game where I can have a Displacer Beast familiar (sharing Displacer form is not enough >_<)

This reminds me that I forgot to suggest having a look at "Encyclopaedia arcane - Familiars". By the way, your Displacer Beast familiar should be available from 9th level onward.

EDIT: Or having a look at both Encyclopaedia arcane - Familiars AND Encyclopaedia arcane - Crossbreeding if you really want a (artic) familiar that doesn't even exist! Still, not everyone loves 3rd party books.