PDA

View Full Version : Converting Attacks into Touch Attacks

Kevingway
2014-10-04, 04:44 PM
For a character who has no BAB (commoner + survivor) until level 7, if even then, hitting can be frustrating. I'm determining ways to make opponents flat-footed or otherwise denied their Dex bonus to AC, but what are ways that I can ensure that their armor won't be a problem for melee attacks, either?

heavyfuel
2014-10-04, 04:50 PM
(eternal) wand of Wraith Strike in a wand chambered weapon

Demidos
2014-10-04, 04:53 PM
Brilliant energy weapon. Sadly, this is extremely expensive, so dont get too excited unless you have a friendly artificier or DM.
Even then...eh.

Deaxsa
2014-10-04, 05:10 PM
don't use offensive measures that require attack rolls?

ramrod
2014-10-04, 05:11 PM
If there was an easy way of doing it we would all be doing touch attacks. Although from your description removing dex to ac, this isn't a touch attack at all (quite the reverse given that it would be dex but no armor AC bonus).

Stripping an enemy of dex to AC can be relatively simple. Forcing them to have balance checks, such as using grease or marbles underfoot would do it. I wouldn't count on a DM allowing it in every fight though and of course you would be subject to it as well should you have to move through the squares or your DM rules that they scatter under foot.

Andezzar
2014-10-04, 05:16 PM
Brilliant energy weapon. Sadly, this is extremely expensive, so dont get too excited unless you have a friendly artificier or DM.
Even then...eh.A brilliant energy weapon does not convert attacks to touch attacks. It merely lets you ignore armor and shield bonuses. Natural armor still applies. Additionally it cannot harm undead, constructs or objects.

Also Martial Study (Emerald Razor) lets you use a touch attack once per encounter unless you are an initiator.

Psyren
2014-10-04, 05:22 PM
Use splash weapons like alchemist's fire/tanglefoot bags. Not only will these be fairly easy to hit with, but debuffing attacks like the latter will make it easier for your regular attacks to hit.

On top of that, Craft is a class skill for commoners so you can become a ghetto alchemist fairly easily.

Kevingway
2014-10-04, 05:28 PM
If there was an easy way of doing it we would all be doing touch attacks. Although from your description removing dex to ac, this isn't a touch attack at all (quite the reverse given that it would be dex but no armor AC bonus).

Stripping an enemy of dex to AC can be relatively simple. Forcing them to have balance checks, such as using grease or marbles underfoot would do it. I wouldn't count on a DM allowing it in every fight though and of course you would be subject to it as well should you have to move through the squares or your DM rules that they scatter under foot.

That's something I intend to be doing on top of touch attacks, to effectively make it so that I'm fighting ACless foes.

And yes, I know it isn't easy... but hey, it's worth a shot.

heavyfuel
2014-10-04, 05:31 PM
On top of that, Craft is a class skill for commoners so you can become a ghetto alchemist fairly easily.

Don't you need to be a spellcaster to make alchemical items?

Psyren
2014-10-04, 05:33 PM
Don't you need to be a spellcaster to make alchemical items?

Oh right, 3.5. You'll have to buy them then, or find a caster to cooperate with.

J-H
2014-10-04, 05:34 PM
You won't be able to do it very often, but if you have a psionic focus (through, say, Wild Talent), you can use Deep Impact or the unarmed version to make a touch attack. Wild Talent + Psionic Meditation + Psychic Weapon + Deep Impact = 4 feats; move action to regain focus, standard action for your touch attack. As long as you stand next to your opponent you can do it once per round.

dextercorvia
2014-10-04, 09:53 PM
Poison Ring from Dragon #something. Only deals 1 pt of damage.

Kevingway
2014-10-05, 09:41 AM
Found another one myself: Deft Strike.

ShurikVch
2014-10-05, 10:52 AM
Spot the Weak Point (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-scoundrel--60/spot-weak-point--3307/)
Martial Study (http://dndtools.eu/feats/tome-of-battle-the-book-of-nine-swords--88/martial-study--1879/) (Emerald Razor (http://dndtools.eu/spells/tome-of-battle-the-book-of-nine-swords--88/emerald-razor--3625/))
Wandstrike (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-arcane--55/wandstrike--3088/)

Fax Celestis
2014-10-05, 02:40 PM
Wield nets. Touch attack to hit with, and denies Dex to those you hit.

ShurikVch
2014-10-05, 05:44 PM
Melee or ranged?
What effects you prefer?

Anyway, there is some magic items:

IMPALING (3/day) Price: +1 bonus
SPECTRAL DAGGER Price (Item Level): 6,000 gp (10th)
GHOUL GAUNTLETS Price (Item Level): 10,000 gp (12th) Once per round while wearing these gauntlets, you can make a melee touch attack that paralyzes the target for 1d6+2 rounds (Fort DC 13 negates). Elves are immune to this paralysis.
GLOVES OF FLAME (5/day) Price (Item Level): 7,000 gp (11th) 1d6+5 points of fi re damage
GLOVES OF LIGHTNING (3/day) Price (Item Level): 2,000 gp (6th) 1d8+5 points of electricity damage
HEARTSEEKING AMULET (3/day, on activation) Price (Item Level): 3,000 gp (7th)
RING OF THUNDERCLAPS (3/day, on activation) Price (Item Level): 6,000 gp (10th) 1d8+5 points of electricity damage
BAG OF FLAMES (3/day, on activation) Price (Item Level): 3,500 gp (8th) 1d6+5 points of fi re damage
ELECTRIC EEL ELIXIR (1 use) Price (Item Level): 400 gp (2nd) 1d8+1 points of electricity damage
SPIDER ROD (3/day) Price (Item Level): 15,000 gp (14th) poison (Fort DC 16, 1d6 Con/1d6 Con)
BRACERS OF LIGHTNING (on activation) Price (Item Level): 11,000 gp (13th) +1d6 electricity damage
RING OF SHOCKING BLOWS (on activation) Price: 13,000 gp 1d8+3 points of electricity damage
ROD OF WITHERING Price: 25,000 gp Fort DC 17, 1d4 Str/1d4 Con
ELECTRIC EEL HIDE ARMOR (3/day, on activation) Price (Item Level): 14,165 gp (14th) 5d6 points of electricity damage

Kevingway
2014-10-06, 09:56 PM
Was looking at the Pyrokineticist's first-level whip ability, which attacks via ranged touched attacks. Intrigued by the idea, but I'm somewhat against one-level dips for prestige classes. Has anybody done anything effective with this whip? I can only think of going Kensai to buff it up, but it seems... well, not worth any investment aside from the fact that it can make touch attacks.