PDA

View Full Version : Converting Smite Good into Smite Evil

Kevingway
2014-10-04, 05:09 PM
Thanks to Sneak Attacking, I'm finding the Blackguard to be an ideal class for what I have in mind regarding a Sneak Attack + Power Attack + Smite combo. However, in order to utilize Sneak Attacking just the way I want, I still need Smite Evil instead of Smite Good (Devoted Inquisitor prereq).

Obviously, since I've traded away my Paladin levels for Blackguard solely to get this Sneak Attacking ability, I no longer have access to Smite Evil. I'm wondering if there's a way that I can knock out all these Smite Goods and have the option to Smite Evil purely for that prerequisite, and if there's an easier way to go about having plenty of Smite Evils per day, Sneak Attack dice, and BAB than going into Blackguard. I want to be able to utilize Smite reliably in any combat, so only having 3-or-so/day isn't cutting it for me, if I ever manage to get the Smite Evil version I'm after.

One could say I should just stay Paladin and get Assassin's Stance, but I need just a bit more dice. and Paladin is already subpar. I'd love to go into the Maverick Slayer of Evil (Witch Slayer adaptation) and pick up 5 Smite Evils over 5 levels, but that still leaves me with the issue of not having enough BAB to qualify for the class at all, let alone giving up Sneak Attacking potential until much later in the game.

Fluff is important to me, as well as finishing out all PrCs that I start. So, what's the optimal Smiter/Sneak Attacker that can qualify for Devoted Inquisitor? The reason I like Blackguard so much is because I can do it fairly well by ECL 10, just lacking enough Smite attempts per day. Any later, and it becomes almost useless.

Jeff the Green
2014-10-04, 05:16 PM
Paladin 1/Blackguard n. You don't actually lose Blackguard powers if you return to Good, and you can atone and get your Smite Evil back.