PDA

View Full Version : 426: Who's the Real Xykon?

Tolkien_Freak
2007-03-14, 10:51 PM
Note that of the three Xykons, none are acting at all like Xykon.

#1: Too timid.
#2: Too bloodthirsty.
#3: Doesn't know who the OOTS is.

Is it possible that ALL of them may be decoys?
Just a thought.

Gefangnis
2007-03-14, 10:52 PM
They have different amulets...

Khosan
2007-03-14, 10:53 PM
I'd say #3 is definitely Xykon, given that he's pretty much never been able to remember Roy's name (Bluepommel, Redblade, mayhaps an Orangescabbard). Probably wouldn't be a stretch that he can't remember Roy's group's name either.

Edit: Right, the amulets.

Suppose it's entirely possible Xykon's being stealthy and taking a side entrance.

Nightmarenny
2007-03-14, 10:54 PM

Just a thought.
....Have you read the comic? Xykon never remembers who they are. Xykon is acting just as he should. Man how hard does it need to be spelled out before everyone gets it?

mockingbyrd7

Just a thought.

Don't you remember comic the 105-114 line? Xykon doesn't even know his last name. He often refers to the OotS as, "Bluepommel and his buddies." He just thinks of them as that fighter guy and his adventuring team. #3 is obviously real.

The Wanderer
No, Xykon never remembers who the Order of the Stick is.

Unless you going to say that this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0371.html) Xykon is a fake too, all the way back in comic 371...

*Waits for someone to say just that, and mean it too*

MReav
I vote that Xykon's 3.

tanonev
2007-03-14, 10:55 PM
It'd still be interesting if this were the results of this spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/eidolon.htm)...but I guess that would make it an excessively unfair fight.

SteveMB
2007-03-14, 10:56 PM

Er, the real Xykon only vaguely recalls who the OotS are, e.g.:

:xykon: "Oh, right, Bluepommel and his buddies...." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0371.html)

After all, when you've made that many enemies, who can keep track (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0110.html)?

StickArc
2007-03-14, 10:57 PM
Redcloak's Phyclaterarywhatchamacalit is still white. I think it's all 3, and Xycon is still in his soul-hidey place.

Tolkien_Freak
2007-03-14, 10:57 PM
Ok, I get the point!

I should have made a poll...

EDIT: Yeah, even with the purple amulet, the last one probably is the real Xykon. The quip about 'bait' helps.

fwiffo
2007-03-14, 10:58 PM
Of course, 3 is real. Question is - can OOTS deduce it? I mean, northern one is obviously fake, riding the horse and shaking scimitar. That should be clear to OOTS also. Although, of course, they could think that the obviously fake one is made to look fake deliberately to take attention off him. So, they can't discount that one either.

l)ark_ssj9kevin
2007-03-14, 11:00 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0422.html
That has an orange amulet, which is #1.

tanonev
2007-03-14, 11:04 PM
Of course, 3 is real. Question is - can OOTS deduce it? I mean, northern one is obviously fake, riding the horse and shaking scimitar. That should be clear to OOTS also. Although, of course, they could think that the obviously fake one is made to look fake deliberately to take attention off him. So, they can't discount that one either.

I only know from NWN, but since when could sorcerers wield scimitars? o_O

EmeraldFire
2007-03-14, 11:09 PM
I think that all 3 of the Xykons we saw are fake.

The real one (the one not wearing an amulet) is on his undead dragon flying above the clouds to land on the roof of the throne room tower. Thus bypassing all defenses and getting to a probably lightly guarded room where the sapphire/gate is.

Nightmarenny
2007-03-14, 11:11 PM

The real one (the one not wearing an amulet) is on his undead dragon flying above the clouds to land on the roof of the throne room tower. Thus bypassing all defenses and getting to a probably lightly guarded room where the sapphire/gate is.
All high level paladen wait in that room./.......

Lizard Lord
2007-03-14, 11:12 PM
No, Xykon never remembers who the Order of the Stick is.

Unless you going to say that this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0371.html) Xykon is a fake too, all the way back in comic 371...

*Waits for someone to say just that, and mean it too*

He didn't remember Roy's name just what Roy did.

He doesn't remember the name of the group, he just remembers what they did.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2007-03-14, 11:14 PM

When has Xykon--I repeat, Xykon--ever shown that level of intellegence? Honestly.

Lizard Lord
2007-03-14, 11:16 PM

ZZ'ditri had scimitars. Who says Xykon didn't take the Martial Weapon feat?

But yea, I agree with those that say #3.

LordOfNarf
2007-03-14, 11:18 PM

All the paladins already agreed not to help with the fight so that they could defend the throne room with their lives.

And i think #3 is the real Xykon.

DMcCoy1693
2007-03-14, 11:19 PM
Thus bypassing all defenses and getting to a probably lightly guarded room where the sapphire/gate is.

Sneaking past won't help. It takes weeks to do the summoning. So if the battle is lost, him getting past the defenses is mute.

I'd say #3 is the real one.

Lemur
2007-03-14, 11:20 PM
I'm gonna guess that since all 3 have amulets, they're all simulacrums, or something similar. What I'm curious about is why all three seem to have different pieces of Xykon's personality.

Samiam303
2007-03-14, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I think it's fairly obvious that it's #3, given the last panel.

TARINunit9
2007-03-14, 11:39 PM
Um, the one with Redcloak admited the others were bait.

Thamir
2007-03-14, 11:39 PM
I agree with StickArc. The ootsers will split up and try to take on all three meanwhile real :xykon: will simply regenerate and duel with Hinjo. Hinjo will be about to die when :miko: comes to the rescue and therefore redeems herself. Or pehaps as you can see from previous comics the third :xykon: is the real one. Meh a man can dream though, a man can dream.

Nightmarenny
2007-03-14, 11:46 PM
I agree with StickArc. The ootsers will split up and try to take on all three meanwhile real :xykon: will simply regenerate and duel with Hinjo. Hinjo will be about to die when :miko: comes to the rescue and therefore redeems herself. Or pehaps as you can see from previous comics the third :xykon: is the real one. Meh a man can dream though, a man can dream.He'll regenarate in the middle of battle? Something that took weeks before?

Trilo
2007-03-14, 11:47 PM
Redcloak's Phyclaterarywhatchamacalit is still white. I think it's all 3, and Xycon is still in his soul-hidey place.

That's actually a really good point. Failing that, though, #3 is real... for obvious reasons.

WarDragon
2007-03-14, 11:47 PM
I retract my statements about the coward being real Xykon when we first saw him. The one in back, with the purple, is pretty clearly him. The others are probably ghouls, or mummies, or something, dressed up to resemble Xykon.

Hobot
2007-03-14, 11:49 PM
I'm gonna guess that since all 3 have amulets, they're all simulacrums, or something similar. What I'm curious about is why all three seem to have different pieces of Xykon's personality.

If the decoy plan is to work, the real Xykon would have to wear an amulet so that he doesn't stand out.

I would disagree with them all having different pieces of Xykon's personality. He's never been cowardly or proactive.

kpenguin
2007-03-14, 11:51 PM
Uh... this is speculation. Shouldn't the thread have a spoiler tag?
My vote goes for Xykon #3

Underfoot
2007-03-14, 11:53 PM
The timid one is the only guy wearing the same amulet that Xykon wore four strips back.

The charging one would look like an obvious fake, and one hanging back with the other generals would be the obvious choice for a "real" Xykon. It may be that the timid Xykon *is* the real one (hence being so worried about his own neck).

Redcloak knows these guys are high enough level that he and Xykon are within an appropriate CR of their party-- it would be stupid for him *not* to bank on one of the party having a good enough Spot check to notice there's three. And it would be very, very clever of him to disguise Xykon as one of the "obvious baits" -- a party of PC's would assume that the real one would never be allowed out in the open, so undefended.

The third Xykon refers to "the bait" but his statement, as worded, doesn't actually indicate that he isn't part of it. You guys inferred that all on your own.

I'd bet that the real Xykon is the timid one, and the guy in the back with Redcloak is someone else with Alter Self or some such on him. Possibly the hobgob with the beard, from a few strips back.

Xykon has indeed been cowardly. In fact, if the timid Xykon is the real one, it makes his dialogue in this comic make so much more sense:
Sending the real Xykon into the battle undefended in the hopes the OotS will think he's a decoy? Not very conducive to his well-being. Sending in two decoys while the real one stays behind? Pretty safe.

Ah well. Just my 2 coppers.

Daracaex
2007-03-14, 11:58 PM
It is very clear, in my opinion, that Xykon is going to teleport himself or somehow get into the throne room to try to take it early. Maybe even a dimension door (I think that's the spell) so that he can bring a bunch of soldier with him. People say Xykon is not that smart, but I would like to point out that he is probably smarter than he portrays himself and Redcloak helped come up with the plan.

In other words, my vote is for three fakes.

Yzorth
2007-03-14, 11:59 PM
Its the third Xykon.

Honestly, I can't believe that you guys didn't think of this, but it IS the message boards, so sigh.

Anyway, its the third one because he is the farthest away. If they were to choose the real one, (the farthest away one), they would have to go really far in order to go back and help the soldiers.

Xykon is not just going into the castle via magic because the whole point of this invasion is to defeat everyone in the city, so he can do the weeks of rituals that are needed to get him the gate's power.

Nightmarenny
2007-03-15, 12:00 AM
That's actually a really good point. Failing that, though, #3 is real... for obvious reasons.No it isn't he can't just go back in there when he likes and considering he'd have to wait weeks for a new body thats very conter-productive.

Hobot
2007-03-15, 12:04 AM
Xykon has indeed been cowardly. In fact, if the timid Xykon is the real one, it makes his dialogue in this comic make so much more sense:

No, Xykon has not been cowardly. That's obviously a fake Xykon.

Underfoot
2007-03-15, 12:05 AM
Remember, OotS is a D&D game. A good DM would never make the obvious choice be the right choice.

Toloran
2007-03-15, 12:06 AM
That has an orange amulet, which is #1.

I have to agree with that. Also in that comic, Xykon didn't seem to happy with the plan and being sent to the front lines doesn't seem that happy.

TARINunit9
2007-03-15, 12:07 AM
Ah! too many spoilers! oh well :smalltongue:

Hobot
2007-03-15, 12:08 AM
Remember, OotS is a D&D game. A good DM would never make the obvious choice be the right choice.

And a good writer would never completely and suddenly change a character's personality behind the scenes.

Daracaex
2007-03-15, 12:08 AM
Xykon is not just going into the castle via magic because the whole point of this invasion is to defeat everyone in the city, so he can do the weeks of rituals that are needed to get him the gate's power.But if Xykon had his own group of soldiers plus his own power, he would be able to take the city very easily if he launched a simultaneous attack from inside the castle while most of the soldier are busy on the front lines. It's simple battle tactics. You have a great advantage over your enemy if you can flank them. Especially when they aren't expecting it as Hinjo clearly isn't.

Plus, that would make a much more epic battle, wouldn't it? :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Xykon needs someone pure of heart to unlock the gate. All he has to do is attack from the inside. Then word gets out to Roy and the others and the Order runs into the city leaving the rest of the army to fend off the legions outside. Then Xykon takes on the Order and tries to trick someone into touching the gate, possibly by threatening someone, such as Haley. Also, he might break the Linear Guild and Miko out of prison, intentionally or unintentionally.

Hobot
2007-03-15, 12:09 AM
I have to agree with that. Also in that comic, Xykon didn't seem to happy with the plan and being sent to the front lines doesn't seem that happy.
Obviously the Xykon with the orange amulet is a fake Xykon because he acts completely different from the normal Xykon and Redcloak treats him completely differently as well.

Kaeledra
2007-03-15, 12:13 AM

Actually at the very end of 423, Redcloak's Phylactery turns black again. Not sure what that means, but it's worth noting.

Underfoot
2007-03-15, 12:16 AM
Obviously the Xykon with the orange amulet is a fake Xykon because he acts completely different from the normal Xykon and Redcloak treats him completely differently as well.

You're awfully adamant about a stance which you have yet to support with anything but fallacious appeals to popularity and an assertion about "rapid character changes" (Xykon) without recognition of the gradual ones (Redcloak's).

Charity322
2007-03-15, 12:17 AM
I'd vote for either 3, cause he's the most like the real one and is with Redcloak etc.

Or ... none of them, even the one with Redcloak is fake and Xykon is somewhere else on his zombie dragon. The one with Redcloak could be considered the one they'd go for first because he's with Redcloak, and he's also wearing an amulet like the other two. If the OotS pick the right Xykon to attack then they could mess up his plans. I don't think he's any of them.

Nightmarenny
2007-03-15, 12:21 AM
You're awfully adamant about a stance which you have yet to support with anything but fallacious appeals to popularity and an assertion about "rapid character changes" (Xykon) without recognition of the gradual ones (Redcloak's).Well it should be rather self evident.

Gralamin
2007-03-15, 12:21 AM

Because, Y'know, It's not possible the Giant has been setting this plan up strips in advance?

But if Xykon had his own group of soldiers plus his own power, he would be able to take the city very easily if he launched a simultaneous attack from inside the castle while most of the soldier are busy on the front lines. It's simple battle tactics. You have a great advantage over your enemy if you can flank them. Especially when they aren't expecting it as Hinjo clearly isn't.

Plus, that would make a much more epic battle, wouldn't it? :smallbiggrin:
And he has skeletal dragons with which he can get in with, as well as spells.
I think this is the best option.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Xykon needs someone pure of heart to unlock the gate. All he has to do is attack from the inside. Then word gets out to Roy and the others and the Order runs into the city leaving the rest of the army to fend off the legions outside. Then Xykon takes on the Order and tries to trick someone into touching the gate, possibly by threatening someone, such as Haley. Also, he might break the Linear Guild and Miko out of prison, intentionally or unintentionally.
No he doesn't. That was a protection that Durakon put on his gate alone.

Hobot
2007-03-15, 12:25 AM
You're awfully adamant about a stance which you have yet to support with anything but fallacious appeals to popularity and an assertion about "rapid character changes" (Xykon) without recognition of the gradual ones (Redcloak's).

I never made an appeal to popularity, you must have imagined it.

Also, it isn't fallacious to point out that a rapid and off-screen character change is bad writing.

Daracaex
2007-03-15, 12:26 AM
No he doesn't. That was a protection that Durakon put on his gate alone.Really? Oh well then. I thought that was a universal thing.

Underfoot
2007-03-15, 12:26 AM
Well it should be rather self evident.

*grins* You win my favourite-internet-moment-of-the-day award :)

Hobot
2007-03-15, 12:30 AM
*grins* You win my favourite-internet-moment-of-the-day award :)
He's probably tired to explaining over and over again why wimpy Xykon is not the real Xykon. He probably posted an explanation a few dozen times during the whole 422 comic debate.

Underfoot
2007-03-15, 12:32 AM
He's probably tired to explaining over and over again why wimpy Xykon is not the real Xykon. He probably posted an explanation a few dozen times during the whole 420 comic debate.

Umm, no. If you actually knew what an appeal to popularity was, you'd have caught his joke.

Yzorth
2007-03-15, 12:38 AM
O ya. I just looked over the comic again and realized that Xykon in the last panel says something to the extent of "So did the decoys work?"

I'm pretty sure this is Rich telling us it is actually the third and rear Xykon.

Hobot
2007-03-15, 12:39 AM
Umm, no. If you actually knew what an appeal to popularity was, you'd have caught his joke.
I know perfectly well what an appeal to popularity is, but apparently you don't since I never made one.

EDIT: I also wonder why you think he's joking and how what he said relates in anyway to an appeal to popularity. Saying it is self-evident doesn't invoke an appeal to popularity, in fact it's not an argument at all.

Geneticist
2007-03-15, 12:45 AM
okay, here's my thought. Xykon is none of them and all of them at the same time. Redcloak researched a spell that splits Xykon's power (and personality) into three different parts. That's why they are wearing the amulets. RC's plan is that the OOTS will split up to try to battle each one individually, thus stopping them from aiding the defenders of the city. Then, when the defenders have fallen, the remaining hobgoblins rush the OOTS, who are still fighting the beleaguered Xykons.

On the other hand, the plan could be to use two decoys and then shoot the real Xykon out of the catapult (hence the "bullseye" comment). :smallbiggrin:

Wizzardman
2007-03-15, 12:49 AM
Yeah, I'm going to argue purple-necklace is the real Xykon here [if any of them is/isn't--for all we know, these could be polymorphed others (as would fit the changes in personality) or some form of split-into-three spell (which wouldn't, unless Xykon has multiple personality disorder)].

Axl_Rose
2007-03-15, 12:52 AM
#3 obviously.

Yes there's an argument that he wears an amulet but I'm going to contend that that's merely for his own forces to recognize him. They may or may not recognize his behaviour/attitude as well as we do.

JessmanCA
2007-03-15, 01:01 AM
The Real Xykon does not wear an amulet. Go back to the early strips, and also more recently to when Miko was imprisoned, no amulet

Querzis
2007-03-15, 01:01 AM

Its really not obvious for the OOTS but its obvious for us and I actually think its meant to be obvious! In 422 there was many clues that it was a fake and anyone that read the same comic as me should have guessed right away it was a fake. Its the same thing for this time, the giant is always making it really obvious for us but really impossible to know for the OOTS (like nale first monologue).

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0046.html

By the way, split personnalities? If Xykon would split his personnality into 3, one would kill anyone he see for fun, one would play Yazhee all day and one would release the Snarl. It woudnt be one is a coward even thought Xykon has always been fearless, one is a poet even though Xykon is really cynical and one is exactly like he always has been!

archon_huskie
2007-03-15, 01:04 AM
Friends, observe this webcomic here. Notice how the character casts a spell that splits her into multiple beings. Each exhibits a portion of the main one's personality, whether or not it is the dominate one.

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020416.html
http://www.egscomics.com/d/20021116.html
http://www.egscomics.com/d/20021118.html

Notice a similar spell in this webcomic when the character casts another spell which makes copies of herself. again with different parts of her personality displayed.
http://www.thewotch.com/?epDate=2003-01-31
http://www.thewotch.com/?epDate=2003-02-03

So going by the different colors of the amulet, the different personalities, and the different routes to the same goal. I'd say these are all different Xykons, but still the Same Xykon. It doesn't matter which one is the main one, as long as one survives, it will be Xykon in the end.

belboz
2007-03-15, 01:08 AM
My guess is that Xykon #3 is real--#1 and 2 definitely aren't, and #3's actions/lines are reasonable--but I have some sympathy for the idea that the real Xykon is *none* of them--that he's teleported past the walls, or is riding that invisible dragon. This is Redcloak's strategy, after all--and unlike Xykon, I think he *is* strategically very smart.

Why go for a 2/3 chance of decoying the party away from the Big X when you can have 3/3?

Icewalker
2007-03-15, 01:16 AM
I'd say they are definitely all fakes. The real Xykon is taking another path into the center as a tactical maneuver. I'm not sure about the bullseye comment however.

A lot of people try to point out how he had the orange amulet in 422. Just about nobody has pointed out that he is extremely cowardly towards Redcloak in 422. XykonOrange is the wimpy part of his personality. XykonGreen is the bloodlust part, of course, and I'd say XykonPurple is possibly an intelligence or planning piece, although we haven't seen enough evidence of him to be sure.

Hobot
2007-03-15, 01:19 AM
A lot of people try to point out how he had the orange amulet in 422. Just about nobody has pointed out that he is extremely cowardly towards Redcloak in 422.

Actually half the forum pointed out how cowardly he was acting when 422 came out and a number of us have mentioned it this time as well.

As for the split personality idea, I don't like it as neither orange Xykon nor green Xykon really represent any part of the personality of the Xykon we know. He's never been cowardly and he hasn't been proactive and poetic.

archon_huskie
2007-03-15, 01:22 AM
minor aspects of his personality, easily sacrificed.

Vonriel
2007-03-15, 02:08 AM
So, for those of you who are just now getting into this "conversation" (heh..) we have:

1) He's none of them. Those are all illusions he created to put the OotS off-guard and get them to waste their time chasing illusions. His real plan is to sit back and watch the fight from somewhere safe/infiltrate the throne room somehow and take it over from inside.

2) He's the orange amulet wearing one. He is so cowardly to the point of not wanting to die, as we saw in #422, where he was also wearing the same amulet.

3) He's the purple amulet wearing one. He is acting rather intelligently and staying behind, as I imagine the real Xykon would. Also, he spoke of the other decoys, and hoping they work.

Ok, against #2 first, because this one is the easiest. Where have we seen any part of Xykon's personality be this cowardly? It's not in him. He has no fear of dying, because he knows Redcloak has his phylactery, so I imagine he'd actually be more like the one wearing the green amulet, though he would be tossing spells about at random rather than charging into battle amidst his hobgoblin brethrenminions. Also, your only proof saying that he's the one wearing the orange amulet is 'he was wearing it in #422' Have you ever considered that Rich had had Redcloak/Xykon implement this plan before then, so that the one wearing the orange amulet would have been much like the one in this strip - cowardly to the point of wetting himself when he thinks about fighting?

The best proof to theory 3 is that Xykon was acting intelligent, and speaking of the duplicates up front. That's.. about it. There's no real information supporting either this one or him being the green one..

Personally, I subscribe to theory 1, with the first choice. This spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/simulacrum.htm) seems the best way to create the extra Xykons, while the real one sits back somewhere waiting for his chance to make his grand entrance. And blow some stuff up. The amulets are the way Redcloak can command the two forward simulacra and the third one if he is ever out of vocal range. All three amulets are very similar in appearance to the one Redcloak is wearing, as well.

Dausuul
2007-03-15, 04:02 AM
So, for those of you who are just now getting into this "conversation" (heh..) we have:

1) He's none of them. Those are all illusions he created to put the OotS off-guard and get them to waste their time chasing illusions. His real plan is to sit back and watch the fight from somewhere safe/infiltrate the throne room somehow and take it over from inside.

*snip*

Personally, I subscribe to theory 1, with the first choice. This spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/simulacrum.htm) seems the best way to create the extra Xykons, while the real one sits back somewhere waiting for his chance to make his grand entrance. And blow some stuff up. The amulets are the way Redcloak can command the two forward simulacra and the third one if he is ever out of vocal range. All three amulets are very similar in appearance to the one Redcloak is wearing, as well.

Only problem with this theory is that the spell in question has a casting time of 12 hours. That's a minimum of 24 hours to create two duplicates, 36 to create three. Besides, wouldn't the duplicates share Xykon's personality? My guess is that Redcloak simply took a couple of regular hobgoblins, killed them, raised them as undead (hence his comment to the cowardly one about "rebuking him into next week"), and dressed them up in robes. That would explain the different personalities of the two "forward Xykons." One is a gung-ho blackguard-type, the other is a regular grunt who's got no experience with command and is more than a little nervous about being made into a target.

The idea that Xykon's personality has been split up through some kind of fancy spell just doesn't make sense to me. If that were the case, we should be seeing aspects of Xykon's personality in all three--not two who are acting nothing like Xykon and one who's acting exactly like Xykon.

About the amulets, my guess is that they allow the real Xykon to channel spells through the decoys in some fashion. Remember, Xykon wanted to march up to the walls and start blasting, and Redcloak was worried about him making himself a target. This would solve both problems as well as making the decoys more convincing.

It is still quite possible that all three are decoys... but based on the evidence, I would argue for two fakes and spell-channeling amulets as above.

Charity322
2007-03-15, 04:08 AM
It's obvious! They're identical skeletal triplets, the rarest kind!

factotum
2007-03-15, 04:41 AM
The Real Xykon does not wear an amulet. Go back to the early strips, and also more recently to when Miko was imprisoned, no amulet

And of course it's COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE for him to ever put on an amulet of any kind. After all, none of the other characters have ever changed their outfits, right? Apart from Elan (at least twice), Thog, Haley, and Miko, of course. Oh, and Belkar, when he was disguised in Azure City. Heck, even the MitD has changed (he acquired the umbrella after they left the dungeon).

ReaganStorme
2007-03-15, 04:42 AM
XykonGreen going to the north seems too martial for a spellcaster to me, and i like the thought of the oracle's divination for :varsuvius: coming true here also. This is probably a decoy, and given that V is supposed to be with the rest of the OOTS, set the stage for his 'idea'.

XykonOrange shows too much personality for me, essentially knowing that he is a decoy, and currently heading straight towards the OOTS. He's not acting like a level appropriate party challenge. Thus i believe that he is also a decoy.

XykonPurple has so far not remembered who 'Bluepommel' was... and not done much else. Except for asking about the bait. This gives us some idea that he knows the plan is that the other two are the bait, and that he is pleased their indecision is having the same effect. The Giant has shown us readers inside info before (as with Nale's monologue) but is fond of drawing out the anticipation with cliffhanger panels too. After all, what better way of getting people to stay tuned :smallbiggrin:

Hazelnut
2007-03-15, 04:47 AM
The one heading towards V at the north end is the real X. (because he has the orange amulet which X has always worn) :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: I'm talking absolute rubbish! X didn't used to wear an amulet, but was wearing the orange one when Redcloak chewed him out... so definitely not the real X. I too think all three are decoys.

Professor Tanhauser
2007-03-15, 04:51 AM
Is it possible the amulets are some sort of special shielding amulets, and that the real zykon has the best while the others get lesser ones to make people think they're real?

ReaganStorme
2007-03-15, 05:03 AM
Is it possible the amulets are some sort of special shielding amulets, and that the real zykon has the best while the others get lesser ones to make people think they're real?

Yep! That's what make the choice for the OOTS so hard. Even we can't agree.

Albion
2007-03-15, 05:41 AM
My instinct and common sense in unison - for once - wail and scream so loudly at me, telling that the purple amulet one is Xykon, that any of these arguments for the other theories are but soft whispers lost in the furious wind that has become an unstoppable tornado.
...:smallredface:

Nothing else makes any sense. So Xykon is wearing an amulet now? Probably has to do with this whole decoy arrangement. He is the only one who suddenly acts like Xykon again, talks like Xykon. Redcloak seems to recognize him like he used to before the decoy business. He's talking about the other decoys and the bait. So what if he's wearing an amulet - for controlling the other decoys, or for being mistaken for a decoy, or what the abyss ever. Reading between the lines. Reading the story. If #3 would actually be a some kind of believable fake, he'd be kind of useless like that, and Redcloak wouldn't talk to him like that and... it would be a let-down, how boring with a that kind of fake...

Personality split - pretty good, but no. The other two personalities aren't part of Xykon. None of him is that silly caricature evilcrusading fear-inducing motivated all-for-the-cause anti-hero(he wouldn't bother), none of him is that uncharismatic wuss who won't take matters into own hands either. Xykon might in some respect be something between them, but if you blended the two, it would go the wrong way. And throwing in the #3 "intelligent Xykon"(who to ME is just Xykon but for argument's sake) doesn't really help either, the mix is wrong. At least to me.

...this IS getting more fun&interesting than I thought it would. :smallbiggrin: Urgh *END*

Eldritch_Ent
2007-03-15, 06:43 AM
At this point it doesn't really matter which Xykon is fake or not- Recognizing which one is real or not doesn't make the others less of a problem. (Since they're likely both powerful in their own right.)

I figure Varsuuvius is going to be able to outwit North Xykon alone. That particular Xykon doesn't seem the most magically inclined, after all, and I'm sure Varsuuvius's "Idea" is going to turn out to be quite clever.

I think the rest of the OOTS will take on South Xykon... Leaving Xykon Purple in the back there, wether he's real or not.

The entire thing about this plan is like Tic Tac Toe, Chess, or Connect Four. The most effective tactic in all those games is to create two different threats at once, as whichever they choose they're screwed. (except in chess where they can break it by putting the king in threat of Checkmate... So maybe figuring out which is real is important.)

Ave
2007-03-15, 06:51 AM

Anyone (with enough STR) should be able to lift a few pounds of scimitar shaped iron.

Erek Garnsfel
2007-03-15, 06:51 AM

That's the point!! It's reverse psychology!!! they are taking the obvious route as to avoid them thinking it will be the obvious!

Iry
2007-03-15, 07:02 AM
While it is true that #3 acts the most like the Real Xykon we were also given a spoiler. In #422 we see a Hobgoblin Spellcaster wearing an amulet that is similar to the amulets that all the other Xykon decoys are using. Redcloak wears a similar amulet, so it is possible they are Clerics but not necessarily so.

In either case, Clerics with the Trickery domain seem very plausible. And, of course, Disguise Self is easily available on the Sorc/Wiz list. Roy doesn't have enough ranks in Spot/Listen to get his head out of a paper bag and notice the difference.

Also, in #423 we see the Hobgoblin General not wearing such an amulet which could lead us to the assumption that those amulets are not simply worn by the noble elite as a matter of fact. This is a vague assumption, but backed up mildly by a Lawful Evil society that could easily regiment such things.

nocker
2007-03-15, 07:09 AM
I'm with the party who says that the real Xykon is either #3 or none of them.

Gnome-in-da-Hat
2007-03-15, 07:49 AM
Say guys, here's a theory.

Maybe looking back to Evil Characters appearing on previous strips we could find the oh-so-elusive answer of who is the real Xykon and how did he do it.

Back in 399 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0399.html) we saw the Evil Gnome Druid wearing a Green amulet identical to the one Green Charging Xykon is wearing. Personality-wise it also somewhat fits: the Gnome Druid proved to be a crazy lil' twerp full of destructive intent. Also, that very Xykon is using a Scimitar and as we all hardcore D&D geeks know Scimitars are the only real weapons Druids can use (what can I say, I hate that absurd weapon restriction. :P).

...now it's only a matter of finding previous Evil Characters (one cowardly, one rather spazy) wearing either an Orange pendant or a Purple one.

Going by this theory, the amulet colours are the key here and going further into the realm of speculation, the amulets themselves might just be lowly Disguise Self as-per-the-1st.-Level-spell amulets! :smallbiggrin:

SteveMB
2007-03-15, 08:18 AM
Xykon has indeed been cowardly.
When? (Retreating when the OotS beat him at the Dungeon of Dorkukan instead of unleasing :mitd: wasn't cowardice; it was a strategic decision (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0117.html), thought out a bit more carefully than usual for Xykon, actually.)

In fact, if the timid Xykon is the real one, it makes his dialogue in this comic make so much more sense:
Sending the real Xykon into the battle undefended in the hopes the OotS will think he's a decoy? Not very conducive to his well-being. Sending in two decoys while the real one stays behind? Pretty safe.

The bug-eyed "Xykon" says that the plan "doesn't seem really seem conductive to my long-term well-". And he's right -- it doesn't look good for [B]his long-term well-being. That has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not he's the real Xykon -- if he's a FauXykon (the obvious conclusion in view of the latest strip) the plan takes care of the real Xykon's safety just fine.

SteveMB
2007-03-15, 08:25 AM
EDIT: Oh yeah, and Xykon needs someone pure of heart to unlock the gate.
No, he doesn't. He needed someone pure of heart to unseal the wards protecting Dorkuan's Gate (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0097.html) -- that's a separate issue from the weeks of rituals (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0416.html) he expects it will take to complete his plan for the Azure City gate.

SteveMB
2007-03-15, 08:29 AM
The Real Xykon does not wear an amulet.
The real Xykon didn't wear an amulet before. If the fakes need to wear an amulet for some reason (e.g. to sustain an illusion), then the real one is going to wear a dummy amulet, or else he might as well wear a big red neon sign (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0024.html) reading "REAL XYKON".

Maroon
2007-03-15, 08:42 AM
Redcloak's Phyclaterarywhatchamacalit is still white. I think it's all 3, and Xykon is still in his soul-hidey place.
It has been white since #414. And that's before they even started scrying.

I'm pretty sure the purple necklace is simply to control the clones/to confuse the OOTS/a powerful amulet of something powerful.

ObadiahtheSlim
2007-03-15, 08:46 AM
I'm thinking #3 is the real lich. Of course we will need to wait and see how this plays out.

Tolkien_Freak
2007-03-15, 11:21 AM
So so far, the three theories are:

-Split Personality
-Two Decoys
-Three Decoys

I don't really know which I favor, though the two decoys seems most plausible.

titan_monarch
2007-03-15, 11:51 AM
I think it's too obvious that it's #3 to really BE #3. I think the real Xykon is the one everyone else doesn't think it is, ie #2 (charging at the wall.) I know it's nothing like we expect from Xykon, but that means the OotS won't be expecting it too. And if it is the real Xykon, he'll only be up against the Azurians (assuming OotS go after #1 or #3) and should be able to destroy them easily and reach the throne and the gate, no problems.

*waits to be proved wrong*

Purple_cloack
2007-03-15, 11:54 AM
I think its the #3. Its same as he did not know greenhilts name!

Silverlocke980
2007-03-15, 11:56 AM
The Xykon with Redcloak is the real Xykon.

Xykon has no idea who the OotS are anyway, remember? He thinks Roy's last name is "Bluepommel" or some variation thereof. He's killed so many people and fought so many heroes they all just kind of... blur together.

Also, he talks as if he knows that the decoys will throw off the defenders (saying, " Did they take the bait?" seems pretty conclusive evidence to me that's the real Xykon), and there's one last thing.

His amulet.

(All are wearing different amulets. Check!)

RecklessFable
2007-03-15, 12:25 PM
It's obvious! They're identical skeletal triplets, the rarest kind!

/signed

You folks overcomplicate things... Sheesh.

Kreistor
2007-03-15, 12:50 PM
Though the Xykon in the back replies similarly to Xykon in response to the OotS's name, so would anyone else in that army disguised as Xykon. Only Redcloak would be able to identify them since they were not expected to be here and the army not warned about them.

Tolkien_Freak
2007-03-15, 01:00 PM
The Xykon with Redcloak is the real Xykon.

Xykon has no idea who the OotS are anyway, remember? He thinks Roy's last name is "Bluepommel" or some variation thereof. He's killed so many people and fought so many heroes they all just kind of... blur together.

Also, he talks as if he knows that the decoys will throw off the defenders (saying, " Did they take the bait?" seems pretty conclusive evidence to me that's the real Xykon), and there's one last thing.

His amulet.

(All are wearing different amulets. Check!)

I wholeheartedly agree (after being told numerous times about how the last one IS the real Xykon because he NEVER could remember the OOTS...), but out of curiosity, what does the amulet prove? It's just a purple amulet, and we never see Xykon having any sort of amulet before...

Mawhrin Skel
2007-03-15, 01:07 PM
Green Xykon is speaking as I would expect an evil religious fanatic to do - a cleric or blackguard. Not quite sure who or what would act like orange Xykon, although this behaviour is consistent with "Xykon"'s from #422, and entirely inconsistent with Xykon's previously. The real Xykon would veto any plan he didn't like, and wouldn't whine and fret. IMO these two are fakes, and we saw Orange in #422.

Pink Xykon speaks like Xykon would, knowing there were decoys of him. Note that there's no reason to suppose the OOTS or AC defenders can hear him, so there's no reason for him to attempt to mislead them through his speech. Likewise Green and Orange - their speech is unlikely to be part of a deception plan IMO.

So I vote pink Xykon is real, although all three being fakes is also plausible.

BisectedBrioche
2007-03-15, 01:12 PM
I just realised, there was some foreshadowing (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0416.html).

TreesOfDeath
2007-03-15, 02:47 PM
O RLY?

Since I don't want to be modded for spamming agian.

Well yeah, theirs forshadowing everywhere

DamienLunas
2007-03-15, 03:18 PM
Darn, you beat me to the foreshadowing. Anyway, the theory of 2 being fake and one being real, why can't he just cast an illusion or polymorph himself to look like a hobgoblin and not have fire drawn? But if they're fake, why do they need those things around their necks? I would think that they would keep his appearance as close as possible and just polymorph some hobgoblins. In that case, I would suggest that the only possible explanation is that Xykon split himself. But in that case... why can he ride that skeleton mount? Sorcerers don't get too many skill points being charisma based, and why would he waste his precious few in a cross class skill like ride that provides few benefits to sorcerers because of the rigorous motion interfering with arcane casting? Not to mention I don't believe his dexterity is all that anyway. Therefore, I have one final theory. It really IS him split into three, but the green one isn't him, it's Leeky Windstaff! The other one is going to sneak behind them and have them all merge back into one body there.

If I missed anything, someone please tell me.

Icewalker
2007-03-15, 03:38 PM
So far two people have brought up the point that the green amulet is identical to Leeky Windstaff's. I'm going to head back and search for any other villains or such wearing purple or orange amulets.

elliott20
2007-03-15, 03:50 PM
I foresee a "I'm Sparticus" gag

Icewalker
2007-03-15, 03:54 PM
Well, looking through a plethora of strips, none of the original linear guild, or the new one (except Leeky) has a amulet similar to any of the new Xykons. Nor do many minor characters such as the law officials in Cliffport, nor Miko or any prominent paladin characters. So I'm not sure if that's actually what's going on.

Hobot
2007-03-15, 04:06 PM
So far two people have brought up the point that the green amulet is identical to Leeky Windstaff's. I'm going to head back and search for any other villains or such wearing purple or orange amulets.

Interestingly, like green amulet Xykon, Leeky was rather poetic and gungho in the way he talked.

Hiest, monkey
2007-03-15, 04:21 PM
I peronally believe that Xykon is not any of the amulet wearers. I think that the Giant would not put such an obvious and large clue to something being off as an amulet hints. Xykon is indead drawing fire, then when the city is distracted he and redcloak will attack the throne room directly. I think that They will be no match for the two combined. As for the theory that #3 is real, think about it, the first two xykon panels showed hints that it was not him, by a) displaying the amulet and b) stating something the Giant thought no one could interpret as the real Xykon saying. I also believe that after Xykon said to redcloak he didn't want the city, because it was probably "sanctied or something, ew" he suggested sneeking in while the armies fought for their lives. I think all of the Amulated Xykons are fake, Why would they have such distinctively different outfits otherwise?

KazilDarkeye
2007-03-15, 04:25 PM
My vote is definitely for #3.
My sister thinks it's #1

But #2? Sorcerors can't use scimitars or Ride that well.

Deuce
2007-03-15, 04:29 PM
That's the point!! It's reverse psychology!!! they are taking the obvious route as to avoid them thinking it will be the obvious!

Hope you've built up a resistance to Iocane powder . . .

DamienLunas
2007-03-15, 04:43 PM
I really don't think that it's number 3. The line in the last panel can also be interpreted as something akin to "Are they coming towards me yet?" because he could be talking about himself.

Icewalker
2007-03-15, 06:03 PM
You know, on the Leeky Windstaff theory, (someone has brought this up before me) druids do have ride on their class skill list and use scimitars. With those, the amulet, and the fact that he is being poetic and gungho, looks like a few too many similarities to be coincidence.

Gnome-in-da-Hat
2007-03-15, 06:16 PM
You know, on the Leeky Windstaff theory, (someone has brought this up before me) druids do have ride on their class skill list and use scimitars. With those, the amulet, and the fact that he is being poetic and gungho, looks like a few too many similarities to be coincidence.

My points exactly. :P

TheOtherMC
2007-03-15, 06:22 PM
Hope you've built up a resistance to Iocane powder . . .

THanks you sir, for completly making my day with that. Have a cookie.

*cookie as a verb!*

belboz
2007-03-15, 06:38 PM
One more argument for #3: His diction is about right. "Meh, that works, too" is pretty classic Xykon...and not terribly classic anyone else.

Yrogerg
2007-03-15, 08:50 PM

So no orange amulets, but it nearly fits the color scheme, and the diction's about right, so I think I know the answer (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0399.html)

Saldron
2007-03-15, 08:56 PM
SPOILER?!?-

Well my guess is that none of the Xykons is the real.. who is it then? The green goblin. I mean everyone talks to him as "supreme leader" and also the way he talks to "Xykon" as though he didn't knew him or cared for who he is.. just a thought..

fwiffo
2007-03-15, 09:02 PM
Well my guess is that none of the Xykons is the real.. who is it then? The green goblin.

What's Osborn doing in this story?

Roderick_BR
2007-03-15, 09:08 PM
I'll hate myself for that, but...

"Will the real Xykon step forward, please?"

Yahzi
2007-03-15, 09:24 PM
I thought they were all fakes - until the final panel, which sounded like Xykon.

Nightmarenny
2007-03-15, 09:25 PM
I peronally believe that Xykon is not any of the amulet wearers. I think that the Giant would not put such an obvious and large clue to something being off as an amulet hints. Xykon is indead drawing fire, then when the city is distracted he and redcloak will attack the throne room directly. I think that They will be no match for the two combined. As for the theory that #3 is real, think about it, the first two xykon panels showed hints that it was not him, by a) displaying the amulet and b) stating something the Giant thought no one could interpret as the real Xykon saying. I also believe that after Xykon said to redcloak he didn't want the city, because it was probably "sanctied or something, ew" he suggested sneeking in while the armies fought for their lives. I think all of the Amulated Xykons are fake, Why would they have such distinctively different outfits otherwise?
He didn't put such obvious clues. Sinse the last comic with Xykon it been "explicitly" shown whats going on. This was never supposed to be a huge plot twist. This a "Guy recieves instructions on how to whoo a girl that will instead completly alienate her, lets watch" moment. The only thing keeping it from being so is peoples lack of ability to come to the rational solution.

Now I know that alot of you will scoff and reply "Oh its right because you say so? You don't know anything Nny!" so lets see if I can support my claim.

Xykon apears wear a strange necklace and is acting like a cowardly fool, the antithisis of what he has always been.

The Rational-That is not Xykon. It must have something to do with Red Cloaks plan

The irrational-In between comics something huge must have happened that changed a character in startling ways, dispite that however ever it wasn't very important which is why we didn't see it.

Three Xykons apear, two act nothing like Xykon and charge, the other acts just like Xykon.

The Rational-The one thats hanging back must be the real one. If not its none of them. He shows a classic joke in his theme and talks about the duplicates.

The irrational-Its gotta be the scared guy heading for the wall. Xykon wore that necklace last comic. It couldn't be that one was also a fake. That would make everyone who said he was right.

Miko attacked and killed her comander and master, under false information and a consperesy invended in her mind.

The rational-Mikos gone off the deep end. Shes insane and should fall.

The Irrational-Because Miko thought there was a huge threat to world security(based on what she thought was evidence) it was completly ok to slaughter the old man instead of arresting him and trying him by Paladin because dispite Miko's belief that the Paladins were on her side the courts could not be trusted.

Belkar commits several autrosities, enjoys taking organs, murder and slavery

The rational-Belkar is a funny evil bastard

The irrational-He has yet to rape a kitten, so he must be nuetral. good

Calemyr
2007-03-16, 08:54 AM
I vote for the whole "The real Xykon's up in the clouds right now, planning to drop in on the throne room" theory. The argument against it that Xykon has never thought of a strategy like this before is moot, since he didn't come up with this one, either. This was Redcloak's idea, and he opted to stay behind both because he wanted to finally get his revenge and because someone needed to lead the troops. Also, his presence gives extra credibility to the concept that ONE of the three imposters is the real one.

Xykon is not in any great danger, after all - it was demonstrated a while ago that a cleric would need to be at least the lich's level to have even a 5% chance of effecting him with a turn check - and a paladin wouldn't have a prayer. The only real risk is that the OotS (or Miko, perhaps?) gets in the way, but even that eventuality can be prepared for with the right spells. In the mean time, Redcloak is getting his payback and keeping the defenders out of the way, leaving the town itself pretty much abandoned. Sure, it won't work, but it's still pretty darn clever, I think.

One thing I have to comment on is the odd similarity between the Mahoh No Supekutoru (Magical Spectrum) (http://www.egscomics.com/d/20021116.html) move Nanase uses in El Goonish Shive, in at least that three fakes of different colors and personalities keep the enemy distracted while the user covertly accomplishes their goal.

BisectedBrioche
2007-03-16, 09:04 AM
Here's what we know so far;

The nervous Xykon (henceforth "NX") is most likely to be undead as RC was able to threaten him with being turned (although he might of just been nervous enough to respond to any threat).
The insane Xykon (IX) is unlikely to be a soucerer as he's riding a horse and carrying non-soucerer weapons.
The other Xykon (OX) show's the normal character traits of Xykon, thus he may be the real one.

Cythraul
2007-03-16, 09:36 AM
I agree that the OX may (good choice of words Bisected8!) be the real one... however:
If I were running a decoy, I would have snuck around to another wall or the harbour, probably invisibly, and be fiddling with the gate in the throne room now that there's no-one there (or at least, hardly anyone) as the vast majority of people are defending the walls.
Of course, what we don't know is whether Redcloak thought of that...

Edit:
Oops - it seems that the Paladins are defending the tower... but to be be fair, if he's invisible and they're not expecting him yet because the battle is still out front he could easily sneak past them, into the throne room which probably has no-one actually inside it, I should think...

Calemyr
2007-03-16, 10:06 AM
It's a bit stickier than that, in fact. The paladins don't realize that the prize is the throne itself, they just believe they're protecting the tower. Thus, they're likely to be set up at the base of the tower ready to protect it against invaders, not up in the throne room. If he approaches from the air (either via the undead silver dragon or a copy of Zz'drit's house-ruled fly spell, as it's likely too far for an ordinary fly spell), he's likely have a relatively easy time of it.

Heck, he might end up coming in through the towers, which means there's a chance he'll meet the old man, the linear guild, and Miko on the way. That'd be interesting, since I'm pretty sure the Linear Guild would oppose Xykon out of self preservation. Then the OotS would have a lot to answer for as the day is saved by heroes "wrongfully" imprisoned by Shojo at the request of the OotS.

Wait... what happens if a lich goes through an antimagic field?

Sinewmire
2007-03-16, 11:13 AM
About the amulets, my guess is that they allow the real Xykon to channel spells through the decoys in some fashion. Remember, Xykon wanted to march up to the walls and start blasting, and Redcloak was worried about him making himself a target. This would solve both problems as well as making the decoys more convincing.

I'm sold.

It's either #3 or none of them, the above suggestion tickles my fancy just enough to sway me in the direction that it's #3.

So which lucky hobgoblin is looking after the Zombie Dragon?

l)ark_ssj9kevin
2007-03-16, 11:28 AM
I know! They're all real??
We all know #2 is too brave, #1 may be him because he's a wimp, and #3 for he tells redcloak about the bait.
We'll see tonight >:D

atteSmythe
2007-03-16, 11:39 AM
I'm sold.

It's either #3 or none of them, the above suggestion tickles my fancy just enough to sway me in the direction that it's #3.

If that's what the amulet does, I'm sold, too. Otherwise, the idea of Real Xykon(tm) riding in on a zombie dragon is too enticing to pass up!

DamienLunas
2007-03-16, 12:22 PM
Anyone notice that the 3rd Xykon only asked questions and delivered the punchline in the last comic? 2/2 doesn't seem too convincing, but I dunno, I really don't think 3 is real.

Electric_Monkey
2007-03-16, 02:09 PM
It's a bit stickier than that, in fact. The paladins don't realize that the prize is the throne itself, they just believe they're protecting the tower. Thus, they're likely to be set up at the base of the tower ready to protect it against invaders, not up in the throne room. If he approaches from the air (either via the undead silver dragon or a copy of Zz'drit's house-ruled fly spell, as it's likely too far for an ordinary fly spell), he's likely have a relatively easy time of it.

Has it actually been explicitly stated that the paladins don't know? Miko didn't appear to think about the risk of damaging the Sapphire, but she wasn't in the most rational frame of mind at the time. Even if they don't specifically know about the Sapphire's function, they'll presumably have been told that the throne room's the last refuge and that they're to hold it at all costs. If they know Xykon has air power, they'll hopefully be guarding against an aerial attack on the castle.

Andiamo
2007-03-16, 06:03 PM
Yeah, why wouldn't they know? They are an order made to protect the gate(s), after all.

Thoughtbot360
2007-03-16, 06:12 PM
ARGH! I already made my post on the Three Xykon's forum last night. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37637)

Its obviously a magic amulet that split Xykon into three:

Xykon with the orange amulet: Xykon's fear
Xykon with the green amulet: Xykon's courage
Xykon with the pink amulet: Xykon's indifferent side

The exact details of Red Cloak's plan eludes me, but the basic idea is to have the Xykons confuse the heck out of the Azurites, possibly forcing them to stretch out their resources. Actually if the defenders decide to take on one Xykon at a time, what happens?

Orange Xykon: What was Red Cloak thinking? This guy will run at the first glance of danger. Or will he? He might very well be just a diversion or Red Cloak might be counting on him to lash out at attackers in fear (or cast defensive buffs on himself to slow down that segment of Azurites' army. Time is not a resource the good guys can afford to waste.

Green Xykon: He actually might be the one the OOTS should fight, because he is the most aggresive and he's heading towards the breach in the wall. The other Xykon's personalities are defense and might not do anything if left alone (or harrassed just slightly for the orange one) but Green Xykon is bloodthirsty and zealous.

Pink Xykon: He doesn't care about anything, so just sitting back at the back of the line is where he is most comfortable. If Red Cloak needs his powers, he's planning on either badgering him or that Pink Xykon will dispassionately swat any human "gnats" that try to charge him.

fwiffo
2007-03-16, 06:51 PM
Its obviously a magic amulet that split Xykon into three:

Xykon with the orange amulet: Xykon's fear
Xykon with the green amulet: Xykon's courage
Xykon with the pink amulet: Xykon's indifferent side

Ah, yes. Otherwise known as #8 on the Top 10 lamest Xykon theories (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2197138&postcount=18) list.

l)ark_ssj9kevin
2007-03-16, 08:11 PM
Ah, yes. Otherwise known as #8 on the Top 10 lamest Xykon theories (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2197138&postcount=18) list.

I like #9:

#9) It's Xykon, Xykon from the past and Xykon from the future. It's like TNG Finale, only without Picards

They all bought lame amulets to tell them apart.

Thoughtbot360
2007-03-16, 08:24 PM

Hey, mine is way smarter than cutting him up and having the pieces regenerate iinto 3 Xykons. Mine takes into account that Orange and Green Xykon are, in fact, polar opposites of each other and feel like they are only capable of that single emotion. Also I take notice of the amulets. You say Pink Xykon is the real one? WhyTF is his amulet pink? Usually pink is more of a "I represent the odd guy/element/world out" than a "I am the master!"

The only thing we know is that Orange Xykon is definetly not the real Xykon. Xykon wouldn't care about "dying" so long as Red Cloak has his Phylacery. He might if all he felt was fear, however.

And the number one lame Xykon theory is....

.....is?

Brettoe
2007-03-17, 09:05 PM
It's the cowardly one, because he's wearing the necklace that Xykon always wears

TheOtherMC
2007-03-17, 10:28 PM
It's the cowardly one, because he's wearing the necklace that Xykon always wears

To reiterate a good deal of the thread: Xykon never wore an amulet.

and here I was hoping not to get involved in this...

Nightmarenny
2007-03-17, 11:02 PM
It's the cowardly one, because he's wearing the necklace that Xykon always wears*Throws a Brick from the wall(i.e. the giant soldiers) at Brettoes head*

At the risk of it becoming my catch phrase.

Its a thread for a reason. Read. It.

Setra
2007-03-18, 08:45 AM
Oh look xykon wore the orange amulet before! It must be him! Or not, I mean obviously he has to be the real Xykon because we have seen him before, wearing that amulet.

Of course because purple is acting like Xykon it's obviously him. It's not like the Giant could ever think of something others would never suspect.

KingDragon
2007-03-19, 07:50 AM
Someone mentioned earlier that the cockroaches were the extra Xycons... but http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0422.html here is when We first see 'Xycon' with a pendant, and the cockroaches are clearly there.

SteveMB
2007-03-19, 11:58 AM
I agree that the OX may (good choice of words Bisected8!) be the real one... however:
If I were running a decoy, I would have snuck around to another wall or the harbour, probably invisibly, and be fiddling with the gate in the throne room now that there's no-one there (or at least, hardly anyone) as the vast majority of people are defending the walls.
Of course, what we don't know is whether Redcloak thought of that...

Edit:
Oops - it seems that the Paladins are defending the tower... but to be be fair, if he's invisible and they're not expecting him yet because the battle is still out front he could easily sneak past them, into the throne room which probably has no-one actually inside it, I should think...
What good would that do him? It's going to take weeks (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0416.html) of work with one of the gates before the big payoff.

Unless...
The Teevo playback told Xykon where the gate is (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0415.html), but apparently cut away to "other plot-related artifacts" before Hinjo got to the explanation of why they didn't just move the sapphire (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0411.html) (if Miko was still close enough for him to be heard by then anyway -- it's unclear).

So, it's possible that Xykon thinks he can just pop in, grab the sapphire, and pop out. He doesn't seem to be the type to think ahead far enough to realize that there must be some reason not to move the sapphire, or the defenders would have done so to keep it out of his hands. (Perhaps he did think of it, and decided that it's just a careless oversight on their part, like not varying the location of their emergency beacons (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0370.html).)

In which case, the amount of crap about to hit the fan just got hit with an Enlarge Crap spell....

factotum
2007-03-19, 12:43 PM
That would be a nice theory, if Xykon didn't quite clearly say in OOTS #416 that "the stupid thing can't be moved". He already KNOWS that the gem containing the Snarl can't be moved out of the throne room.

brian c
2007-03-19, 01:41 PM
okay, here's my thought. Xykon is none of them and all of them at the same time. Redcloak researched a spell that splits Xykon's power (and personality) into three different parts. That's why they are wearing the amulets. RC's plan is that the OOTS will split up to try to battle each one individually, thus stopping them from aiding the defenders of the city. Then, when the defenders have fallen, the remaining hobgoblins rush the OOTS, who are still fighting the beleaguered Xykons.

On the other hand, the plan could be to use two decoys and then shoot the real Xykon out of the catapult (hence the "bullseye" comment). :smallbiggrin:

You're thinking way too hard, did you know that? I hope you're joking.

SteveMB
2007-03-19, 01:57 PM
That would be a nice theory, if Xykon didn't quite clearly say in OOTS #416 that "the stupid thing can't be moved". He already KNOWS that the gem containing the Snarl can't be moved out of the throne room.
D'OH! I plead inadequate sleep after Lunacon this weekend.

reorith
2007-03-20, 01:36 AM
mirror image? or does it not work in this context because of the caster lvl involved and stuff?

Vampire_Boy
2007-03-20, 07:04 AM
He didn't put such obvious clues. Sinse the last comic with Xykon it been "explicitly" shown whats going on. This was never supposed to be a huge plot twist. This a "Guy recieves instructions on how to whoo a girl that will instead completly alienate her, lets watch" moment. The only thing keeping it from being so is peoples lack of ability to come to the rational solution.

<chuckle> Well, #428 must have been pretty embarrassing for you to read, Mr. Rational And Logical.

Erk
2007-03-20, 07:07 AM
:elan:The one in front!!!!

Wait did something happen? Sorry I was blinking.

Anyway, I love reading threads like this after the twist is revealed. Stuff like
Its obviously a magic amulet that split Xykon into three:which was an interesting idea before now (overthought, but interesting nonetheless) becomes really hilarious.

Haruspex
2007-03-20, 07:14 AM
<chuckle> Well, #428 must have been pretty embarrassing for you to read, Mr. Rational And Logical.

You took the words out of my mouth, Vampire Boy. Speculation is fine, but shooting down others who speculate, and with such a rotten attitude is not on. You might want to revise your "storytelling theories", friend.

Mawhrin Skel
2007-03-20, 07:14 AM
Pink Xykon speaks like Xykon would, knowing there were decoys of him.
I suppose he also talks as a general of the hobgoblin army would if he'd been clued in to the plan - which he necessarily would have.

So, let us guess the identities of the decoys:
Pink - general
Green - evil cleric or blackguard
Orange - hmm... undead TEEVO! :smallwink:

Brettoe
2007-03-20, 08:46 AM
*Throws a Brick from the wall(i.e. the giant soldiers) at Brettoes head*

At the risk of it becoming my catch phrase.

Its a thread for a reason. Read. It.

SOrry...I only went back a few strips....and Xykon had a neclace sooo...
But it's the Xykon with no necklace! and he's riding a dragon!

Orkimedes
2007-03-20, 09:19 AM
I was wondering where the zombie dragon had got to. PCs just don't overlook that kind of creature, or who would be riding it.

Harr
2007-03-20, 12:06 PM
....Have you read the comic? Xykon never remembers who they are. Xykon is acting just as he should. Man how hard does it need to be spelled out before everyone gets it?

Gotta love that hindsight, eh? lol

Purple_cloack
2007-03-20, 12:09 PM
a dragon?
Oh that Dragon! I almost forget it! It was so cool in strip 300.

SteveMB
2007-03-20, 12:10 PM
Adjusting one's opinions as new facts come to light is perfectly rational and logical -- nothing to be embarrassed about.

(And I was one of the ones who was sure the one in the rear was the real Xykon.)

belboz
2007-03-20, 12:18 PM
Why go for a 2/3 chance of decoying the party away from the Big X when you can have 3/3?

For the record, woohoo!

Yeah, yeah. I still guessed wrong, I know.

Electric_Monkey
2007-03-20, 02:20 PM
Score one for the "None of them" crowd (of which I am not a member). Now the question is "Why three?" Xykon's been discovered in time, and at a point where most of the OOTS are in position to fight him - and largely because having three Xykons made the OOTS think of decoys in the first place. If there had only been one, they'd probably not have been thinking along the lines of shell games (they haven't been shown to know about the dragon, and probably believe that Xykon is capable of putting on a necklace.) Either Redcloak goofed by making three decoys, or Xykon needed the defenders to be distracted for longer than it would take to beat one decoy.

Uthrac
2007-03-20, 02:34 PM
That makes sense. Assuming the decoys are much less powerful, one decoy would have been quickly defeated, revealing the ruse. With three decoys, when our heroes defeat the first, they go running in another direction to deal with #2.

Tolkien_Freak
2007-03-20, 04:15 PM
HA HA! I was right all along!

I quote:

Just a thought.

I say again: HA!

Now, to derail the topic: Thoughts on how to defeat him?

[HA!]

LiteYear
2007-03-20, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't count the "none of them" theory out yet. Personally, I think the dragon-riding Xykon would be a great decoy.

Electric_Monkey
2007-03-20, 05:41 PM
I wouldn't count the "none of them" theroy out yet. Personally, I think the dragon-riding Xykon would be a great decoy.
Possibly, but you can only repeat the idea so many times. Rich has already done a fake reveal (at least in my opinion)with the purple decoy acting like one would expect Xykon to. Too many more decoy-within-a-decoy tricks and we'll have Xykon declaring that the whole attack on Azure City was a ruse, and he's really attacking Girard's gate after all.

LiteYear
2007-03-20, 07:13 PM
Well, I meant to say that I think that one of the four Xykon's revealed is real, not that there's yet another one. I just think that the dragon-riding Xykon would make a great decoy, if the real one is one of the other three. And I wouldn't mind that misdirection.

In fact, the more I think about, the more I believe that the dragon is a decoy. So, I'm just going to go ahead and say the the dragon-riding Xykon is a decoy, and the real Xykon is the one at the back.

Cythraul
2007-03-21, 04:25 AM
I ask because I'm not sure... wouldn't the True Seeing spell guarantee that this Xykon is the real one?

Erk
2007-03-21, 04:42 AM
I have to say Cythraul is probably right.Also, dragon-rider has no amulet. Why go to the trouble of giving them all amulets if those aren't necessary for the spell? THe OOTS doesn't know xykon well enough to notice the amulets, so they were clearly just there for us.

factotum
2007-03-21, 04:55 AM
I ask because I'm not sure... wouldn't the True Seeing spell guarantee that this Xykon is the real one?

True Seeing cannot see through mundane disguises--e.g. if you put a false moustache on, no amount of True Seeing will make anyone see you without a moustache. Since a lich is essentially just a skeleton with glowing red eyes, one can think of ways in which a normal skeleton could be made to look like a lich without having to use the slightest smidgeon of magic--good enough to fool someone who's probably soiling themselves at the sight of a giant zombie dragon, anyway!