PDA

View Full Version : Rogue throwing dagger build

ReD_Exorcist
2014-10-04, 08:11 PM
My friend is trying to make a Rogue throwing dagger build. She is very new to the game. But shes dead set into playing it.
So what I'm asking is.
What's the best way to optimize her Build. She is restricted to the PHB only ): What kind of feats should she be taking every level? Where using the point buy system of 32 points. So what should she prioritize in her abilities?

ranagrande
2014-10-04, 09:05 PM
What level is she starting at? What race does she want to play? Halfling is probably the best option, but any would work.

For abilities, you want high dex and high strength. I'd put 10 points into each of those for 16s before racial modifiers and then 4 or 6 into constitution. That leaves 6 or 8 points to divide amongst the mental stats depending on what else she wants to do besides throw daggers.

For feats, take Point Blank Shot, Far Shot, and Quick Draw as soon as possible. That's all you really need.

gorfnab
2014-10-04, 09:35 PM
PHB only makes it difficult for Rogue dagger throwing builds.

Feats:
Point Blank Shot
Precise Shot
Rapid Shot
Quick Draw
Two Weapon Fighting
Improved Two Weapon Fighting
Greater Two Weapon Fighting
Weapon Finesse
Combat Reflexes

Race:
Halfling
Human

Build:
You could take a few levels of Fighter to get the feats out of the way. If you can use the DMG, Assassin would actually be an okay prestige class option in this case. Two level of Rangers net you decent skill and Two Weapon Fighting for free.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-10-05, 12:12 AM
Core only will be very rough on her... Definitely she is going to want ring of blinking ASAP (around level 10 or so is usually feasible).

Best racial choice is Deep Halfling, for darkvision (every rogue should have darkvision) and the racial +1 to hit, among other things. If you can get unearthed arcana slipped in (it's on the d20SRD), add Water Halfling to that for +2 Con and the only real downside being -2 on saves vs. fire. Also use flaws, ranged fighting is feat heavy initially.

I'd say the following feats are the best to get:

Point Blank Shot
Precise Shot
Improved Precise Shot (this is your 15th level feat. period.)
Rapid Shot
Quick Draw
Far Shot
Two Weapon Fighting
Improved Two Weapon Fighting
Greater Two Weapon Fighting
Improved Initiative

Don't bother spending feats on melee, try to always fight at range (even just 5 ft back for 10 ft range). Even if she still has to melee sometimes...you don't want to nuke str anyway, it applies to the damage of the thrown daggers and carrying capacity could well be a problem early on. You want at least a 12 str after racial penalty.

One of the biggest issues for a dagger throwing rogue vs. an archer rogue (aside from much lower range) is that you're not just using the same 1 weapon all the time. Which means....
- You can't afford to make them all magical, let alone keep upgrading them, so their enhancements will quickly fall behind. DR x/magic is a problem.
- You can't just stick Seeking on them to ignore miss chance completely (one of a ranged rogue's greatest banes)
- You can't just stick Distance on them to make up for the cruddy 10 ft range increment (making Far Shot more important)
- You need to waste a feat on Quickdraw just to be able to full attack

2014-10-05, 04:34 AM
Core only sucks for thrown weapon mastery. The very bottom-of-the-barrel, absolutely necessary build element is the Bloodstorm Blade PrC; it lets you use a single weapon for a full attack of thrown weapons.

Without it, you'll always lag behind archers. Hell, you'll lag behind crossbow masters; at least they only need one weapon to enchant.

Inevitability
2014-10-05, 05:56 AM
Well, I recommend starting with a Colossal Animated Object dagger, then use some PaO shenanigans to mindrape it into wanting to throw rogues. That should be good for a first idea.